My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

OMAZE house

471 replies

walkinthewoodstoday · 02/01/2023 20:42

So, I'm thinking of entering this competion. Clearly as much chance of winning as me getting an Olympic gold medal, but I keep reading that these 'amazing' houses have issues. Eg one has been massively flooded and another is so close to the cliff edge that it might be uninsurable and when it falls the owners will have a massive clear up bill. The current one is in Finsbury Park and I've even been sad enough to streetview it. Can't see any obvious issues, so why is it an OMAZE house? Please enlighten me!

OP posts:
EachandEveryone · 20/10/2023 00:58

I know you wouldnt really have a room for all those guests that would be wanting to visit.

NewHouseNewMe · 20/10/2023 05:02

The Chelsea one isn’t for me - too overlooked and the garden is tiny. I’d be selling this one only I never even buy a ticket so it’s pretty academic.

SweetSakura · 20/10/2023 07:38

prh47bridge · 19/10/2023 22:22

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, there is nothing in their terms and conditions that suggests they would exclude a winner due to personal debts. They specifically say that they can disqualify you if they reasonably determine that giving you the prize would reflect negatively on Omaze or the charity, or would put someone in danger. Disqualifying someone for having personal debts is so far outside this that, if they did do so, it would clearly be Wednesbury unreasonable and, in my view, would not stand up in court.

Wednesday unreasonableness only applies to public bodies.

(Not really a relevant point but thought I would clarify)

prh47bridge · 20/10/2023 09:24

SweetSakura · 20/10/2023 07:38

Wednesday unreasonableness only applies to public bodies.

(Not really a relevant point but thought I would clarify)

The courts frequently use it in contract law when considering the use of discretionary powers given to one party by the contract, which is what we would be looking at here. See, for example, Braganza vs BP Shipping Ltd [2015] UKSC 17. In this case, a Chief Engineer had disappeared whilst working on board a BP oil tanker. BP concluded that he had committed suicide and that his widow was therefore not entitled to death benefits. The Supreme Court held that this decision was Wednesbury unreasonable and ordered that the death benefits should be paid. The judgement cites several other cases in which Wednesbury unreasonableness has been referred to in relation to contracts.

custardcreme77 · 20/10/2023 09:48

TurnipMuncher · 20/10/2023 00:20

Chelsea House: https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/25-ovington-street/london/sw3-2ja/63988669/

It's Grade II listed which might make amendments irritating.

The en suite bathroom is unnecessarily big for such a relatively small house. Could easily have a fourth bedroom and a semi decent family bathroom.

I don’t think it’s as lavish as some of the other houses - but I could suffer it. I’d do my best!

Mirabai · 20/10/2023 09:51

NewHouseNewMe · 20/10/2023 05:02

The Chelsea one isn’t for me - too overlooked and the garden is tiny. I’d be selling this one only I never even buy a ticket so it’s pretty academic.

I’ll have it if you don’t want it.

EachandEveryone · 20/10/2023 09:52

I know im wondering how much you would lose by selling and how much you would have to pay to buy a £3 million house in Hampstead Garden suburb😀

Mirabai · 20/10/2023 09:57

I know im wondering how much you would lose by selling and how much you would have to pay to buy a £3 million house in Hampstead Garden suburb😀

How can you lose by selling a house you didn’t pay for? 🤔

Surely a £3million house would cost… 3 million?

prh47bridge · 20/10/2023 10:24

It doesn't really matter if you can't sell the house for the amount Omaze claim it is worth. It is a free house. You will have to pay a solicitor and an estate agent to sell it, but anything over that is free money (and their fees will be minimal compared to the sale price). You cannot lose.

Chersfrozenface · 20/10/2023 10:50

On the internet its address is given as 25 Ovington St, London SW3 2JA and that tallies with the photos for that house on Rightmove Sold.

Judging by the sold prices for other houses on that street shown on Rightmove, for once Omaze aren't over exaggerating.

EachandEveryone · 20/10/2023 14:06

I might what kind of charges do you pay buying a three million pound house? I’m just dreaming aloud. I love the Chelsea House and the location but it’s too small for my needs 😂😂

Movinghouseatlast · 20/10/2023 16:05

The Fowey house is now up for sale.

It's a gorgeous house which I've coveted for a long time. I live locally and apparently the owners who spent fortunes renovating it sold it because they hated the noise of the Boddinick Ferry which runs opposite it! Someone said the road down to it would be impassable in winter- not true as we very rarely get ice on the roads so near to the sea/river. It's also not a massively steep road.

If I'd won it I'd be living in it!

Nellieinthebarn · 20/10/2023 16:06

I do like the house, but there is no parking and I'd rather live a bit further West, probably Chiswick way. So I'd be selling this one, buying something else, and still have enough to sort the kids out and have decent lifestyle.

This is the sort of house I'd like, its a three bed terrace with a patio garden with a posh shed, and has parking. https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/140062646#/?channel=RES_BUY

Also I love it when the the law people get involved, all that citing Wotsits vs Quavers, very sexy.

Check out this 3 bedroom terraced house for sale on Rightmove

3 bedroom terraced house for sale in Copenhagen Gardens, Chiswick, London, W4., W4 for £1,100,000. Marketed by Knight Frank, Chiswick

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/140062646#/?channel=RES_BUY

Nellieinthebarn · 20/10/2023 16:18

I love the inside of the Fowey house, and can see the attraction of the location. But I'm a bit scared of heights so it wouldn't be for me.

Ihaventgottimeforthis · 20/10/2023 16:36

Movinghouseatlast · 20/10/2023 16:09

Actually it's under offer!
://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/137865764#/?channel=RES_BUY

If anyone is offering anywhere near the guide price for that they are being ripped off. You could get four houses in Fowey for that, and you wouldn't have to put up with people staring in your windows every morning.

EachandEveryone · 20/10/2023 18:56
Mirabai · 20/10/2023 19:02

It’s very ugly and no garden for your cats.

LindorDoubleChoc · 20/10/2023 19:24

I think generally people - quite understandably - in the rest of the country just can't get their heads around house prices in London. The Chelsea house is right in the heart of Chelsea on a lovely street. Only problem with living there is that it is a very transient population with many wealthy families from all over the world only living there for a few years for immensely high paid jobs in finance and banking, or even wealthier individuals who live in hotter countries in the middle East and come to London for the summer and leave their properties empty for the rest of the year. There is little to no community feel and an absolutely miniscule proportion of the neighbourhood on ordinary incomes who have lived there for years. I know Chelsea very well but wouldn't choose to live there, even if I had the money, for these reasons.

EachandEveryone · 20/10/2023 19:33

The other London house in Islington was much better location wise and size.

LucyAnnTrent · 20/10/2023 20:12

Not an OMAZE house, but I find myself fantasising about life in one of these beauties in Trumpington:
https://rah.co.uk/property/plantation-avenue-trumpington-cambridge/
This one is nice too - the lady of the house makes an appearance in photo 5, there is coffee served in no.8, and the sheets turned back invitingly in no.11. There's an appealing blend of glamour and cosiness:
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/details/england-45231282-90318087?s=6fd0ff672709db830e70b93ddb93af8ae28a6641086e8de666e50a1b6939e2e3#/

Plantation Avenue, Trumpington, Cambridge

4 Bed House - Townhouse Plantation Avenue, Trumpington, Cambridge Guide Price £985,000 , Plantation Avenue, Trumpington, Cambridge, CB2 9DL

https://rah.co.uk/property/plantation-avenue-trumpington-cambridge

Mirabai · 20/10/2023 20:16

I dont think you ever get a proper garden in London

Course you do! I used have a 100 ft garden.

Mirabai · 20/10/2023 20:20

LindorDoubleChoc · 20/10/2023 19:24

I think generally people - quite understandably - in the rest of the country just can't get their heads around house prices in London. The Chelsea house is right in the heart of Chelsea on a lovely street. Only problem with living there is that it is a very transient population with many wealthy families from all over the world only living there for a few years for immensely high paid jobs in finance and banking, or even wealthier individuals who live in hotter countries in the middle East and come to London for the summer and leave their properties empty for the rest of the year. There is little to no community feel and an absolutely miniscule proportion of the neighbourhood on ordinary incomes who have lived there for years. I know Chelsea very well but wouldn't choose to live there, even if I had the money, for these reasons.

There’s an element of truth to this but there are still lots of English and European families who have been there for years. Particularly if they bought 20 -30 years ago when property wasn’t so crazy or inherited.

pumpykins · 21/10/2023 08:56

Ooh this is a house i would actually like to win

Easy to maintain. Easy to sell on after a year

😊

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.