Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Prepping for brexit

434 replies

Numberonecook · 20/09/2018 10:42

Ive just started getting some bits together ready for brexit. As a food scientist I am very aware of how much produce comes into the country and the resources needed to get things around the country. Im also aware of the chain and how everything is ‘just in time’ And a delay in the chain could lead to serious shortages and price rises.

This really worries me as there is 5 of us to feed. So, what non food essentials do you think I should also consider? We are not prepping for huge disaster just 6 months or so. I’ve got things like toiletries, loo roll etc. Anything else?

OP posts:
Please
or

Ta1kinpeace · 27/10/2018 15:59

I am not a prepper but I am a Brexit pessimist.

Utilities / power - I do not believe there will be an issue with them

Banks - the pound will fall but banks will not collapse : if you can move your savings into spread bet currencies, do so, but 2/3 of the country has no savings.

Public sector - councils and schools and hospitals will look pretty normal

FOOD : this is the big issue because so much of the UK's food is imported from the EU - a sensible level of tins and dried goods

BUT
Even as a pessimist, I suspect that a hard Brexit will bite very hard and very fast and the politicians will panic and sort stuff within weeks

Please
or

user1981287 · 27/10/2018 16:59

Im perhaps slightly more of a pessimist. I’m not sure how they would suddenly sort things.

Im a lawyer. Lots of pessimism amongst clients. Lots of concern in the profession since during the last recession thousands of lawyers lost their jobs.

Please
or

Ta1kinpeace · 27/10/2018 17:36

User198
I have my fingers and toes crossed that the UK govt will blink on March 28th and keep the UK in the Single Market

but if that does not happen I can see extraordinary EU votes to find a way to let the UK join the EEA in late April

Please
or

bellinisurge · 27/10/2018 18:08

I hope people checking out this thread (Leaver supporters or not) just think about making some just in case food supply plans.
The fewer there are struggling to get food, the better.

Please
or

user1981287 · 27/10/2018 19:14

So many people still somehow seem oblivious to the potential impact and so I predict chaos and shock with only a few well prepared

Please
or

Ta1kinpeace · 27/10/2018 20:04

user198
Sadly you are right.
I am finding some of the threads that MNHQ are allowing to stay in AIBU quite shocking.

My DH does not listen to the news any more as it makes him angry
BUT He knows that I am a total news hound so we are au fait

it would appear that many families have blanked off from what is happening and are placing faith in the politicians to suddenly grow
spines
souls
competence

thank goodness for my veg garden including root clamps, decent freezer, big cupboards and high fences Wink

Please
or

user1981287 · 27/10/2018 20:11

Yes I’m very thankful for the fact that we have storage space, a vegetable garden, chickens and the cash to stock up. Need to work on the high fences...

Please
or

AdoraBell · 27/10/2018 20:26

I’ve recently watched Wartime Farm on iPlayer. It reminded me of my late father telling me about the lack of food growing up between WW1 and WW11. Also DH is old enough to remember rationing ending.

I have lots of stock cubes and herbs/spices. Spices can improve even the most basic of meals.

Something I’ve bought, bloody expensive mind, is a chunk of very dark chocolate to grate either over tinned fruit or into something along the lines of chilli to give depth to what might just be a tin of kidney beans with a tin of tomatoes.

Please
or

bellinisurge · 27/10/2018 20:50

Lovely idea about grated chocolate!

Please
or

user1981287 · 27/10/2018 20:58

Ds2 (11) has just presented me with 20 individual packs of Parmesan cheese “for the stockpile” from his trip to a pizza restaurant Blush

Please
or

bellinisurge · 27/10/2018 21:22

We have a running joke about "the stash" with our dd(11). We try and be light hearted about it and down play it. And having stuff to keep her spirits up is important.
It's horrible that we even have to think about it. But I'd rather feed her than feel impotent should things get tricky.

Please
or

Weezol · 27/10/2018 21:54

Thanks for the thread, I feel a bit less weird now!

I'm always mildly prepped (zombie apocalypse etc.) but not panicking. I keep mostly things that don't need much cooking on the off chance of power cuts - it's all electric here so I always have torches dotted about.

I'm stocked with:

Tins - meat, fruit, soup
Uht and powdered milk
Flour
Yeast
Sugar (which I rarely use, but thinking of bartering)
Tea
Coffee
Oil (vegetable and sesame)
Sauces and stock cubes
Noodles/pasta to cook in a thermos
Water purification tablets
Camp stove and fuel tablets
Soap, detergent, san pro, tissue.
First aid basics, painkillers
Heat packs
Cat food and litter
Refuse bags
Bleach, disinfectant - Zoflora obvs.
Batteries and wind up lighting
Solar power bank
Lighters and fuel
Lightbulbs,fuses

I'm not expecting much disruption, but think fuel prices will go up and certain foods will be short term unavailable or rocket in price. The usual 'ooh it might snow a bit' style panic buying well happen.

Please
or

RattaTatta · 30/10/2018 19:07

It has suddenly hit me this weekend that brexit is coming fast and it is probably time I started prepping for the worst case scenario, only me and ds (5) at home, so far I've emptied out the kitchen cupboards today, took a Talley of what we have got and wrote a list of what we are going to need:
Calpol
Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
Plasters
Pasta sauce
Pasta
Tinned fruit
Porridge
Golden syrup
Candles
SAN pro
Tea
Chocolate
Deodorant
Vodka
Honey
Soup
Rice
Seasoning spices
Bleach
Soap
Toilet rolls
Candles
Torch
Matches
Batteries

Can't think of anything else? We aren't very well off, currently living pay-check to pay-check so can't afford to be buying compost toilets and the likes, any ideas would be welcomed 

Please
or

Mrsr8 · 30/10/2018 19:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

bellinisurge · 30/10/2018 19:26

For what it's worth, I doubt we'll get to the composting toilet situation- where the water doesn't flow .

But, for the curious, you don't need to buy a composting toilet. A couple of buckets (try and put wee in one and poo in the other ) and a load of autumn leaves will do - put on every "deposit ". If you have a swimming waddle thing you can cut it and fashion it around the top of the bucket. Obviously you can get more sophisticated but no need to spend loads of cash. For those fascinated by the topic there's plenty of info online - Google Christchurch earthquake. But, I repeat, I seriously doubt it will come to that. Composting toilets are more a general prepper concept than a Brexit Prepper thing.

Please
or

bellinisurge · 30/10/2018 19:27

Reusable sanpro is a fab idea. @Mrsr8 . Again, loads of info online about how to make them. Loads on Etsy to buy if you can't make yourself (or think you can't at the mo).

Please
or

Weezol · 30/10/2018 19:57

The thing I wonder about reusable san pro is how to wash/dry it if there are going to be power shortages?

Please
or

bellinisurge · 30/10/2018 20:10

Handwash?

Please
or

AdoraBell · 30/10/2018 20:10

Reusable sanpro, cold water, rinse and then treat any stains with cheap table salt. After that wash in warmer water. Agree that drying might be problematic without power in winter.

Please
or

Mrsr8 · 30/10/2018 20:20

Please
or

Mrsr8 · 30/10/2018 20:24

Please
or

PurpleCrowbar · 30/10/2018 20:34

With reusable sanpro, old towels cut up to 3 times the size you want & folded into triple thickness work quite well.

I used to use these as nappy boosters, then ended up using quite a lot as pads.

They soak & wash well as you just unfold them! So that's an option if you aren't much cop at sewing.

Please
or

Mrsr8 · 31/10/2018 11:52

Please
or

user1981287 · 31/10/2018 11:57

ratta There are obviously lots more food items you could add (powdered milk and bread mixes/flour and yeast being two essentials you seem to be missing) but leaving this aside I would suggest multivitamins. If diets become more limited for a while, it will be useful to know you are getting the vitamins you need.

Please
or

bellinisurge · 31/10/2018 11:58

Me too, @Mrsr8 but we need to wait until February 2019 to get them. The applicable law which validates an international driving licence post Brexit is different to the one applicable now. I can't remember the finer details but the one we all need isn't available until Feb 2019. If you get one now it won't be valid. I checked because I need one that works in both the US and post Brexit Europe.
The one you can get now may be ok for driving in Ireland for a specified period post Brexit.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?