Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Prepping for brexit

434 replies

Numberonecook · 20/09/2018 10:42

Ive just started getting some bits together ready for brexit. As a food scientist I am very aware of how much produce comes into the country and the resources needed to get things around the country. Im also aware of the chain and how everything is ‘just in time’ And a delay in the chain could lead to serious shortages and price rises.

This really worries me as there is 5 of us to feed. So, what non food essentials do you think I should also consider? We are not prepping for huge disaster just 6 months or so. I’ve got things like toiletries, loo roll etc. Anything else?

OP posts:
Please
or

bellinisurge · 11/02/2019 19:15

🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝

Please
or

Cloudtree · 11/02/2019 19:27

Tom do you realise that you're being patronising and offensive? I think you do.

Please
or

TomVeiga · 12/02/2019 17:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

Cloudtree · 12/02/2019 17:22

Its patronising and offensive to say that Bellini doesn't have the mental capacity for intellectual debate. Its the sort of thing only a complete twat would say.

Please
or

NopeNi · 12/02/2019 17:39

Eh. Ignore the goady twat.

Please
or

bellinisurge · 12/02/2019 18:22

Thank you @Cloudtree . I'd follow @NopeNi suggestions on this one.

Please
or

BlackeyedGruesome · 12/02/2019 20:51

Just because someone is calm and measured does not make them lacking in ability.

After all "I'm right you're wrong" is not exactly the most eloquent argument.

Please
or

TomVeiga · 13/02/2019 12:49

Please
or

bellinisurge · 13/02/2019 12:55

🐝

Please
or

AutumnCrow · 13/02/2019 13:03

I am prepping, and think it's a responsible thing to do, but can't quite believe it's all come to this.

Please
or

londonloves · 13/02/2019 15:16

Omg every time I get an update on this tread it's just the buzzing idiot again.

Please
or

user2683 · 21/02/2019 10:36

Please
or

percheron67 · 04/03/2019 17:46

ASDA have long life coconut milk at 3 for £3.00. (Cheltenham).

Please
or

CheshireChat · 06/03/2019 18:17

I've finally read all of the thread and I thought to it's worth mentioning the powdered coconut milk as it tastes just fine in curries etc. Also, 'international shops' of the Middle Eastern variety have flavoured custard powder which is a fun treat.

Some areas have discount shops which have cheap produce that usually has a short shelf life, however some things last well past their BBD. We've got ready made pasta sauces like that, think it was something like 6 jars for £1. Handy if you want to get a little stash of stuff with not a lot of money.

They also get catering stuff so we've got big bags of bread and muffin mixes. Mind you, some of this stuff predates Brexit.

Please
or

CheshireChat · 06/03/2019 18:56

The Chinese supermarkets tend to have the powdered coconut milk btw

Please
or

KoalaKube · 22/11/2020 08:01

I’ve got a modest store but this report from the Grocer quoting leading industry leads is sombering reading, especially as my little garden plot will be bare until Spring, Frozen veg on the list for next monthly shop. www.thegrocer.co.uk/brexit/food-industry-fears-brexit-worst-case-scenario-is-now-the-reality/650589.article?fbclid=IwAR1kp6CrmtiIs6r4UxWpwG-ryO7cQu7QRZtFWjzhc4Tcw2XAuPHPx9HMVMQ

Please
or

KoalaKube · 22/11/2020 08:12

Whoops just realised how old this thread is, but v interesting reading.

Please
or

ReturntoSpamfritters · 23/11/2020 19:38

I've only just got around to reading it too, it's still all relevant though (unfortunately)

Please
or

BlackeyedSusan · 24/11/2020 11:23

a two yearold thread, and here we still are still fucking getting ready for fucking Brexit after so many false starts. I am wondering if they pull something else out of the hat at the last minute or whether we will really go for it this time in 37 days.

Please
or

MarshmallowManiac · 24/11/2020 16:00

I feel we are edging ever closer to the cliff edge, I wish I felt differently. I am usually extremely positive about everything, but do not feel the same about the prospect of whether or not we will No Deal. Sad

Please
or

hitchhikingghost · 24/11/2020 17:29

Reading back I can’t help wondering how
@TomVeiga did during this sudden world pandemic. 😂 Not so bad having some essentials stashed away after all..

Please
or

MarshmallowManiac · 30/11/2020 21:43

Just want to say percheron67 Lidl have tins of coconut milk for 69p.

Please
or

Onedropbeat · 04/12/2020 00:48

Joining the thread after seeing the bbc article just now about major food shortages being predicted for weeks or months from 1st jan (no shit) and made me realise how all of the rubbish this year and now thinking of Christmas it’s crept up on me and I’ve not really stocked up at all

Is it too late for me?!

Please
or

ScatteredMama82 · 04/12/2020 13:07

I'm looking into getting a storage battery added to our solar panel system. Just hope I can get it done quite soon, I wish we had thought of it sooner! It means you can store electricity you don't use, then if the power goes off you have some electricity available off-grid. Wouldn't be enough to run the tumble dryer and the oven on at same time, but would give enough to run some essentials (e.g. keep the fridge and freezer on!)

Please
or

MarshmallowManiac · 04/12/2020 14:26

Not at all Onedropbeat as you still have nearly four weeks and possibly a little more as bet the shops will have bought a bit extra which are now in warehouses across the uk to let people think that Brexit will not have such an impact Just try and get what you and your family can eat even a few days or a weeks full of stuff will help and stop you having to go out in the days after 31st December. Good luck.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?