Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Prepping for brexit

434 replies

Numberonecook · 20/09/2018 10:42

Ive just started getting some bits together ready for brexit. As a food scientist I am very aware of how much produce comes into the country and the resources needed to get things around the country. Im also aware of the chain and how everything is ‘just in time’ And a delay in the chain could lead to serious shortages and price rises.

This really worries me as there is 5 of us to feed. So, what non food essentials do you think I should also consider? We are not prepping for huge disaster just 6 months or so. I’ve got things like toiletries, loo roll etc. Anything else?

OP posts:
Please
or

Chocolala · 23/09/2018 15:10

Never tell anyone, and if people start having to queue for food, make sure you join the queues and talk to others so they know you were there.

We’ve started stocking up on tins of things that we normally use anyway, flour for bread, butter in the freezer, and dried goods like rice and pasta.

I doubt the utilities are going to fail (if they did I’m just leaving the country, frankly), but food disruption is very likely, and prices will rise, so our ‘larder’ provides a buffer.

For the kids I already have clothes in stock for the baby, and I’ve double checked the elder ones wardrobe for size recently.

Please
or

user187656748 · 23/09/2018 16:55

8 packets of bread mix added to the store today. Plus some of those extra long life potato rosti type things with a 2021 BB date.

Please
or

Chocolala · 23/09/2018 18:06

I added porridge. Love the stuff and it’s so versatile :)

Please
or

ElyElyOy · 23/09/2018 21:00

I don’t really prep for failed utilities (long term) but I do for short term disruption (e.g. weather) and dramatic price increases (if that gas pipe line gets cut...).

So things like a water butt to collect rain water (we are on a water meter), thick quilts, thermals, hot water bottles, thermal curtains, draft excluders, making sure loft insulation is up to date (it drops over time and depth recommended increases).

Disposable income would become reduced if things increased in price (mortgage rates, untilities, good prices) so hoping to get jobs done like leaking gutters repaired and replacing carpets etc that we may not have the cash to afford in the future.

However a lot of this is because we have been through times in the past where one of us has been unexpectedly made redundant and the first time it happened it was a shock to the finances when things like the boiler needed servicing and we just didn’t have the money for it from our tight budget.

Please
or

13luckyblackcats · 24/09/2018 14:41

user187656748 I got some of those rosti from Lidl last week, they look really nice.

Please
or

Numberonecook · 26/09/2018 18:23

I never thought about the waste issue. We do export a lot and fly tipping is already a bit problem :(. Burning waste maybe necessary. I’m also starting to repair or replace things we may not get the chance to do next year, just had the guttering done and my girls flooring is getting done next month. Had a shipment of candles so we can read for short term power cuts and I’ve ordered cards and games for the kids. Feel like I’m getting there!

OP posts:
Please
or

I never thought about the waste issue. We do export a lot and fly tipping is already a bit problem :(. Burning waste maybe necessary. I’m also starting to repair or replace things we may not get the chance to do next year, just had the guttering done and my girls flooring is getting done next month. Had a shipment of candles so we can read for short term power cuts and I’ve ordered cards and games for the kids. Feel like I’m getting there!

OP posts:
Please
or

OP posts:
Please
or

OP posts:
Please
or

Numberonecook · 26/09/2018 18:30

OP posts:
Please
or

Numberonecook · 26/09/2018 18:31

Not sure why that’s posted 5 times Shock

OP posts:
Please
or

Whatthefoxgoingon · 26/09/2018 18:54

Consider solar or battery powered LED torches numberone as the fire risk from candles is compounded in a power cut. I keep candles and matches as a last resort. I have a couple of wind up torches too (one is also a radio). Games are a good idea, we need some suitable for teens/adults. Any recommendations welcome!

Please
or

susurration · 26/09/2018 19:16

I went re-usable with sanpro a couple of years ago. Washable pads. It could be a good idea to do this, either washable pads (really only need washing in cold-tepid water anyway) or something like a mooncup.

I've started making a list of things to get ready and also reading up about what food to grow when, and how I can do it in planters and grow bags.

My husband finally seems to be coming round to my stockpiling and prepping ways. When I brought up growing more food in the garden next year he initially questioned why bother, but mentioning brexit made him seem more keen!

I've also got several bottles of water left over from the heatwave in the summer, when our local water looked like it was going to be cut off. All got dates until 2020 on them so good for drinking at least in case of absolute emergency. Have also talked about how to rig up a water butt in the garden, even though we don't have any useable downpipes. We think we're going to add drain piping to the shed specifically for a butt.

Please
or

LookAtMeLookAtMoy · 26/09/2018 19:28

This thread is really useful, so thank you.
I've talked to DH about having a stock of food and we have started but he's just humouring me, as I'm disabled we go shopping together. He thinks I'm over reacting and panicking about nothing.
I've just ordered a wind up torch / phone charger / radio thing from Amazon so I think I'll hide that from him.
I'm really worried about my strong painkillers. I need daily morphine and the pharmacy are really strict about when I can collect it so there's no chance of my being able to have a stock.

Please
or

bellinisurge · 26/09/2018 19:33

What I am about to say is general prepper stuff. I do not think that Brexit will bring a sanitation or water crisis. But if you want to do some general thinking on this stuff, here goes. At worst, when someone says, yeah but what about shit and rubbish - people often use this as a snipe at the idea of prepping- you can say, "there are options but we don't need to worry about that".

As for waste, get some sturdy bin bags, start a compost heap - you can probably get a bin from your Council, look at reusing any packaging. Get into to the habit if you don't already of reducing your waste.
In the very unlikely event of there being no bin collections, double bag your waste and look at stashing it away from your house. It ain't pretty but ... it ain't pretty.
Reusable Sanpro including a moon cup may be an idea.
For what it's worth, I personally don't expect Brexit to impact on bin collection but, thinking about this kind of thing is a prepper thing.
And then there's loo issues. Again, I do not think the water going off is a likely consequence of Brexit but, if you want to explore Confused this idea generally, consider composting toilet.

Please
or

Numberonecook · 26/09/2018 19:35

We have wind up lanterns for walking around with. Candles are literally for when we are all sitting together reading or playing board games. Already use a ruby cup and DD1 has cloth pads.

Good idea about a wind up radio! Never thought of that as when ours are on battery they gobble them!

OP posts:
Please
or

bellinisurge · 26/09/2018 19:37

Again, not a likely Brexit outcome but for prepper info:

Composting toilets are not for producing compost to put on food garden - although some do.
It's a way of managing poo and wee if the sewers are off. They did it in Christchurch after the earthquake,

Please
or

13luckyblackcats · 27/09/2018 13:06

The Fall podcast this week on food and water is interesting. We have had a lot of requests for food bank donations via the DC’s schools and activities over the past few weeks, partly just the time of year I expect, but also a reminder of people for whom times are already hard and likely to get harder.

Please
or

HalloumiGus · 29/09/2018 21:33

I am honestly really worried about this. Trying to make some preparations instead of panicking!

Please
or

bellinisurge · 30/09/2018 08:11

@HalloumiGus - doing some preps over the things you can control is a very sensible approach.
My prediction: some short term food supply problems followed by things including food being more expensive for a good long while.
I don't expect power supply or water supply problems but I'm a prepper so I have preps for that anyway. Winter here in my northern suburb brings power and water problems now and then.
As for civil unrest? Who knows. Bits of trouble here and there but I just stay out of the way. Which is what I'd do anyway.
I am going on a short holiday to Europe in early June. I have plans to deal with hiccups and if the flight is cancelled at either end. My "big" summer holiday is in the UK.

Please
or

MaryPoppinsUmberellaHandle · 30/09/2018 19:10

I am a fairly anxious person anyway so I'm also feeling the same as Halloumi and am wanting to stay sensible, while ensuring we don't run out of 'essentials'.

I will follow these threads with great interest.

Please
or

PreppaPig · 14/10/2018 12:24

This is interesting as a good place to start re. getting ready for Brexit.

I am a bit Shock Confused about the guns though. I'm hoping it doesn't get that bad, but the rest of it is good advice.

See Also James Patrick's Getting Ready Together download.

Please
or

bellinisurge · 14/10/2018 14:24

@PreppaPig - ignore the guns. Check out Prepper Pot Pourri.

Please
or

Urbanbeetler · 14/10/2018 14:40

Living in the middle of London, I store a dozen big bottles of still water anyway because if there were an issue with water for any reason, it will sell out so quickly here. It’s cheap enough if you buy the basic stuff.

Otherwise I have just got a couple of big tubs of canned food, flour, yeast, rice, pasta and peanut butter. If there is a long term shortage, I don’t think we are well placed to do much anyway.

If everything goes smoothly, as I hope it will, then most of the stuff will go to the food bank.

Please
or

Willofthesimpletons · 23/10/2018 20:07

Are those of us with children prepping for the schools to be closed? I imagine with No Deal exit, that's pretty much a given? Even with a negotiated exit, food shortages etc may mean a shorter closure.

I've been buying study guides and making sure the stationery is stocked up. I don't want their studies to be affected if it gets them out of the UK one day.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?