Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Prepping for brexit

434 replies

Numberonecook · 20/09/2018 10:42

Ive just started getting some bits together ready for brexit. As a food scientist I am very aware of how much produce comes into the country and the resources needed to get things around the country. Im also aware of the chain and how everything is ‘just in time’ And a delay in the chain could lead to serious shortages and price rises.

This really worries me as there is 5 of us to feed. So, what non food essentials do you think I should also consider? We are not prepping for huge disaster just 6 months or so. I’ve got things like toiletries, loo roll etc. Anything else?

OP's posts:
Please
or

bellinisurge · 23/10/2018 20:15

I've certainly thought about it. I have plenty of hard copy reference books and knowledge and skills of my own to teach but there are also massive gaps in my knowledge and ability. I'm trying to instill a love of learning in my dd that transcends my limitations. I'm hoping any interruption will be short lived and that it would remain a priority to educate our kids.

Please
or

Willofthesimpletons · 23/10/2018 20:39

I imagine any closure will have a knock on effect on GCSEs and A Levels too / Uni start dates. I still can't believe this might happen.

We have plenty of reading books, I won't rely on Internet being available. I'll have to find the atlases and encyclopedias, but may invest in a more up to date one.

None of this will go to waste as we can use it anyway. I suppose I could print resources off in advance. I may wait to see if I need to do that though. Anything else I haven't thought of?

Please
or

user1981287 · 23/10/2018 21:16

The internet will still be there. I’m not sure why anyone would need to be printing off school resources etc. Yes I suspect food supply issues could result in some short term school closures but it’s likely everything possible would be done to keep things as normal as possible.

Please
or

user1981287 · 23/10/2018 21:25

I have added some non food supplies though. Larger clothes for the dc ordered and have upped the toiletry supply.

Please
or

bellinisurge · 23/10/2018 21:47

I agree with @user1981287 . Based on my family's experience of WWII, school gets prioritised as it should.

Please
or

user1981287 · 23/10/2018 22:16

I think the war is a relatively good reference point if people are thinking about prepping. If we have a hard brexit, likelihood is that things will be in short supply, choice will be limited, everything will become more expensive. Hopefully nobody will starve but those who are already finding things tight will suffer the most. If you can prepare for this worse case scenario a little now then why wouldn’t you? If the government had spent the time prepping the prospect of crashing out wouldn’t have been quite so worrying (although still a disaster for the country). I’m certainly working on the basis that if I can supplement our diets in any way at all that will be an advantage and I’m buying now the things we simply couldn’t do without such as larger shoes for the dc. If (fingers crossed) everything gets sorted then the worst that has happened is that I’ve already done the shopping..

Please
or

bellinisurge · 26/10/2018 10:04

Trying to reactivate this one. Others can start afresh obviously whatever.
If you haven't thought about it before, please don't be overwhelmed. That can make you feel shit. Which is a waste of your emotion.
Start by imagining 3 days stuck in the house, say with snow problems or a bad cold. Whatever.
Imagine what you'd need for breakfast, dinner and tea (lunch and supper if that's what you call it).
Imagine drinks. Imagine hygiene. Imagine treats(choc, sweets, alcohol, crisps etc) and passing the time.
Stick at that or take it further than that. Don't waste money on stuff no one will eat.
It is highly unlikely that we will have power supply problems or water supply problems. However, if you feel up to it, let your mind wander a bit around how you might manage if we did. Ask on here.
Keep at least half a tank of petrol in your car (if you have one). Get into that habit.
And don't tell people you have a buffer of food.
If you have elderly relatives/neighbours - remember that they have skills and knowledge that is really handy. Even if they struggle with ability to act. Think about whether you need to include them in your plans for you and your immediate family.
If you have pets, think about feeding them if you can't get to the shops or something. And include them in any thoughts you have about water.
If you want to go no further than any of that you are already ina better position than you were before.
And if it runs out smoothly and you don't need anything , you can keep it or give unopened shelf stable stuff (like tins) to a food bank.

Please
or

user1981287 · 26/10/2018 11:30

Let’s all just pray that come Easter there are some well stocked food banks out there and everything is fine in terms of food supply and prices. That would be a great outcome.

Please
or

HalloumiGus · 27/10/2018 00:38

Thanks for the bump Bellini. I am getting very anxious about it all. Lots of other life stresses at the minute are making me feel paralysed when it comes to prepping.

Please
or

SingingBabooshkaBadly · 27/10/2018 10:35

Bellini thank you for the continued, sane and measured advice on this and many other threads.

Please
or

SingingBabooshkaBadly · 27/10/2018 10:36

That was meant to say sage advice but I think sane works just as well! Grin

Please
or

Mrsr8 · 27/10/2018 10:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

bellinisurge · 27/10/2018 10:54

You're welcome, all. My dh can't bear to even talk about it - gets him stressed.
Cloth pads is a great idea.ive finished but dd is about to start. Bought her some cool fat quarters etc so she can design her own. And a range of materials for core and base stuff.

Please
or

bellinisurge · 27/10/2018 10:57

Cool tip on the Getting Ready Together booklet. I've saved it for a read later.

Please
or

AnotherShirtRuined · 27/10/2018 11:36

bellini What are you using for the washable/cloth pad cores? I've been sorting through DD's old clothes to take to the charity shop and kept back some of the cotton things. I'm thinking of using these for home made pads but not sure they're absorbant enough. I've bought a few cloth pads (from Imse Vimse) to use as a pattern, but as I'm obviously not going to cut them open to see the inside layers I have to decide on the materials to use independently. Very interested to hear your thoughts - and anyone elses, of course! - on this Smile

Please
or

Mrsr8 · 27/10/2018 11:38

Please
or

Mrsr8 · 27/10/2018 12:19

Please
or

415wakeup · 27/10/2018 12:21

Following. Will come back to this soon 

Please
or

KatyMac · 27/10/2018 12:48

I'm concentrating on the interesting things more than basics (although I am getting those)

Pasta and tomato salsa gets boring after a while so interesting bits and pieces to add to things

And Honey, Jam & dried fruit make plain porridge tastier even if it's made with water

Lots of stock cubes and sauce and mayo

My grandmother always said the food in the war was so boring no variety or thing that were tasty - so I'm running with that

Please
or

BadderWerewolf · 27/10/2018 12:53

DH, who laughed at me regarding food prepping for many moons, has just crumbled and returned from supermarket with spam, corned beef and a fray bentos pie "to test" Grin

Please
or

AnotherShirtRuined · 27/10/2018 13:40

@KatyMac I agree wholeheartedly with your approach. You certainly need quantity so lots and lots of the basics, and then some interesting things to add to it for variety's sake.

My main issue atm is snack items. They seem to dispappear as soon as I stock up Grin I think I need to hide my stash.

Please
or

MaryPoppinsUmberellaHandle · 27/10/2018 13:42

bellinisurge, that's a great place to start. Thank you for bumping the thread with such great information to get someone like me, started

Please
or

bellinisurge · 27/10/2018 14:24

@Mrsr8 - flow of the goddess on YouTube for some brilliant cloth pad making tutorials. The channel name isn't for me but she sounds pretty down to earth and practical.

Please
or

bellinisurge · 27/10/2018 14:27

@BadderWolf - spam? Not so much for me. I like corned beef and have a tinned chicken pie in my stash. Best to focus on what you'll actually eat

Please
or

user1981287 · 27/10/2018 15:44

Good idea to test things first. No point whatsoever in having stuff stashed away that people (DC in particular) are reluctant to eat.

We've had good success with ready made potato rosti with bacon, tinned potatoes have been a hit roasted in the oven with a light spray of sunflower oil and a grind of chilli seasoning, fray bentos pies are inclined to have a very soggy bottom IME but that might just be my cooking so needs some work. They're certainly convenient but I think you get more meat from a tin of chicken in white sauce (for the same cost)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?