Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Preppers

Prepping for brexit

434 replies

Numberonecook · 20/09/2018 10:42

Ive just started getting some bits together ready for brexit. As a food scientist I am very aware of how much produce comes into the country and the resources needed to get things around the country. Im also aware of the chain and how everything is ‘just in time’ And a delay in the chain could lead to serious shortages and price rises.

This really worries me as there is 5 of us to feed. So, what non food essentials do you think I should also consider? We are not prepping for huge disaster just 6 months or so. I’ve got things like toiletries, loo roll etc. Anything else?

OP posts:
Please
or

Tonsilss · 22/01/2019 13:43

Are we expecting gas and/or electricity failures? If there are scheduled black-outs, we could cope with that ok. But unscheduled black-outs not so much.

Please
or

bellinisurge · 22/01/2019 13:49

Prepper here not expecting gas or electric or water failures with Brexit unless you are in NI. And then it's a possibility because of the way tbe grid is set up there.
As a prepper, I have plans for that but I don't expect to needthem with Brexit.

Please
or

BeyondShattered · 22/01/2019 14:16

I've been wondering about that - how much up energy comes from biofuel? (this is probably easily googleable...) As I know when my dad was working in a biofuel power station he said that the wood was shipped in from Canada (I think) as it was cheaper than growing it here...?

Please
or

BiddyPop · 22/01/2019 16:32

I don't see why NI would get power failures as it is an all-island grid (based on an all-island market structure) and would mean problems for the Republic of Ireland as well.

But I was only responding in general prepper terms to the concerns about cooking without power in winter. Rather than specifically in relation to potential power problems with Brexit.

Sure isn't there a load of wind generation off Scotland! That will keep ye going on the big island over there!! Grin

Please
or

bellinisurge · 22/01/2019 16:35

NI problem would stem from the fact it doesn't really generate it itself and would have to import it from a foreign country (namely Ireland) that it wouldn't have a deal with.

Please
or

MVBernard · 22/01/2019 17:00

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

bellinisurge · 22/01/2019 17:19

Sorry @MVBernard but anyone prepping with any sense will not advertise it or themselves. MN has a process for media requests which I suggest you try.

Please
or

Banjax · 29/01/2019 09:59

Im not worried about shortages as such, im more worried about the prices going through the roof
Am buying a chest freezer this week, not even telling my husband im doing this as he'll just be disparaging a la that lovely TomVega up above

However by far my biggest concern is melatonin for autistic son, and my parents, one of whom is diabetic, the other hypothyroid. What can I do about that? Have already told them to fake losing their precriptions so they can get more.

Please
or

ElyElyOy · 29/01/2019 10:26

@Banjax the NHS are already stockpiling medication that they can, and organising for medication that can’t be stockpiled (due to manufacture/use by dates etc) to be prioritised for delivery/manufacture etc. It will probably cost the NHS a lot more, but with the extra £350 million a week they will get after Brexit I’m sure they don’t mind ;)

Have a chat with your pharmacist and GP: I think they are quite happy to provide a buffer depending on the medication and circumstances etc x

Please
or

Heismyopendoor · 29/01/2019 20:05

My prepping cupboard is coming along nicely. These are the things I have so far.

On my list for the next few weeks is toiletries, tomato purée, pasatta, more milk, more pasta, rice, cooking sauces, mash, yeast, sugar, flour, jam, herbs.

Is there anything else I am missing?

Hope you guys can read my messy handwriting lol

Prepping for brexit
Prepping for brexit
Prepping for brexit
Please
or

BlackeyedGruesome · 29/01/2019 20:10

sainsbury's have offers on deodorants, toothpastes, DE coffee at the moment.

Please
or

BlackeyedGruesome · 29/01/2019 21:23

crap, I have fewer tins of beans than I thought. we use a lot of tins of beans so I must have busted the stash recently as I certainly did not buy any recently. Aldi have been sold out for a few weeks. they have also gone up in price.

Please
or

TomVeiga · 01/02/2019 16:36

Please
or

bellinisurge · 01/02/2019 16:43

We don't have a National Guard in the UK.
Helpful contributions as always Hmm

Please
or

TomVeiga · 01/02/2019 16:55

Please
or

bellinisurge · 01/02/2019 16:59

Bzzzzzzzz 🐝

Please
or

AGnu · 01/02/2019 17:06

I've got a small stash building up but this snow has made me realise how disorganised it is. We've got lots of different things so we'd not starve if we couldn't go out but it would be rather strange meals! I'm going to spend a bit of time thinking through actual meals rather than just randomly adding tins of carrots to the shopping list!

The really good thing about the snow is that DH is actually starting to come round to the idea of having a stash. Our shopping delivery for tonight has been cancelled & he was whinging that we'd have to go to a shop tomorrow... I pointed out that we'd have almost everything we needed for meals for the next few days if only he'd have let me put extra chicken in the freezer. Pretty sure we'll be stocking up on frozen meat too now...! Grin

Please
or

bellinisurge · 01/02/2019 17:37

Hopefully the snow has helped people see how important a bit of pantry resilience is.

Please
or

BeyondShattered · 01/02/2019 17:38

Bellin, the second the snow started falling my DC got all excited that they could now eat the pot noodles and angel delight... Grin

Please
or

bellinisurge · 01/02/2019 17:41

Guilty pleasure for me too.Grin

Please
or

londonloves · 01/02/2019 17:42

Anyone got any suggestions about where to get cheap batteries which aren't shit?

Please
or

londonloves · 01/02/2019 17:48

I'm afraid I ate one of my "stashed" bars of milka last night...

Please
or

ClanoftheCaveBear · 01/02/2019 17:51

@Banjax
You can buy melatonin in drugstores in the US- know anyone who’s travelling?

Please
or

NurseryFightClub · 01/02/2019 21:28

I've ramped up my prepping in past few weeks, I had enough food etc for about two months, and if brexit doesn't happen it'll supplement our fresh food for about six months. Now I'm focused on the cleaning toilettery sid and even if the are now problems I am going to have easy shopping for the next year.
I did pop a few ella fruit pouches in to the basket today, which dh raised an eyebrow on, dd is three years old. But in absence of fresh fruit it gives a portion of fruit. Otherwise will use in yoghurts

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?