Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Preppers

Prepping for brexit

434 replies

Numberonecook · 20/09/2018 10:42

Ive just started getting some bits together ready for brexit. As a food scientist I am very aware of how much produce comes into the country and the resources needed to get things around the country. Im also aware of the chain and how everything is ‘just in time’ And a delay in the chain could lead to serious shortages and price rises.

This really worries me as there is 5 of us to feed. So, what non food essentials do you think I should also consider? We are not prepping for huge disaster just 6 months or so. I’ve got things like toiletries, loo roll etc. Anything else?

OP posts:
Please
or

TomVeiga · 18/01/2019 11:08

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

cloudtree · 18/01/2019 11:09

Did anyone hear something?

Please
or

cloudtree · 18/01/2019 11:10

Like an annoying buzz

Please
or

bellinisurge · 18/01/2019 11:19

The great thing about trusted traders is that it's backed by current paperwork. It's not like "I trust my neighbour with the keys when I'm on holiday ". It's not a social contract. It's an actual contract with current rules everyone follows and no one is exposed by doing stuff on faith without a legally enforceable back up. That's current.
All our legal agreements become invalid the moment we no deal. So, no, relying on a bit of good faith to support your bottom line is not without risk. And your business insurer might have something to say about it.
But it's all fine.

Please
or

TomVeiga · 18/01/2019 13:10

Please
or

bellinisurge · 18/01/2019 13:16

No one has foisted this anxiety on me. I'm a general prepper. We get snowed in every winter in my little northern suburb. I have MS so unexpected health issues are normal for me. Brexit is just another thing for me. I prep for problems then get on with my life. Usually no one notices or bothers.
A lot of ordinary non- Prepper people are worried and don't believe people who tell them it'll be fine because there's plenty of evidence to the contrary. I offer advice on here based on my experience Fuck off journos, by the way, and people are free to make their own decisions about their own circumstances. I have been recommending a three day food buffer. Hardly sparking panic with that. The rest is up to individuals to decide for themselves because they know their situation better than you or me.
No one has to be a Prepper to prep for Brexit.

Please
or

bellinisurge · 18/01/2019 13:19

As for talking about yellow vests and Molotov cocktails. That is disgusting sensationalism. You should avoid silly hyperbole like that at all to.
Don't threaten peaceful people with civil disorder. That is foul.

Please
or

smilethoyourheartisbreaking · 18/01/2019 13:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

cloudtree · 18/01/2019 13:25

I'm sure I can hear an annoying buzz - or perhaps its more of a drone

Please
or

malificent7 · 18/01/2019 18:54

I saw a couple of people wearing hi vis yellow vests on my estate when the vote was in on Tuesday. They didn't like like workmen either....it definately wasn't rigjt. I think they were brexiteers making a point.

Please
or

ElyElyOy · 18/01/2019 19:10

@malificent7 I wear a yellow hi-vis and am not a workman but have to wear them when I’m at work. Like lots of people do when working for government/authorities etc when visiting people or doing surveys etc :)

Please
or

TomVeiga · 19/01/2019 22:06

Please
or

bellinisurge · 19/01/2019 22:50

I really don't think you get what I've been saying. I didn't start this thread. I don't live in the sticks.
I've been telling people to calm down and, if they want to get extra food in, make it three days worth. Which is generally good advice for everyone regardless of Brexit.
I haven't said there'll be riots. I haven't said the power and water will go out. I think you need a reality check and frankly need to relax a bit. Your anxiety should trouble you. Other people are choosing to deal with it their way.

Please
or

aliceinwonderlandbrum · 19/01/2019 22:58

Bravo Bellini!

Please
or

RegularShowRules · 19/01/2019 23:00

Tom 'unnecessary worry to low IQ people who are affected by scare stories'
Really?

Please
or

RoastButternutSquash · 19/01/2019 23:02

bellinisurge

I have read your posts for a long time, you have a good heart, you don't need to explain yourself, anyone can see this about you.

Please
or

bellinisurge · 20/01/2019 07:14

Thank you @RoastButternutSquash and @aliceinwonderlandbrum and also @RegularShowRules

Please
or

ElyElyOy · 20/01/2019 09:12

So let me get this straight Tom; we should all cower behind our sofa and fear Nigel from the Waterboard when he walks down the road doing his annual drain cover checks, but we shouldn’t buy a few extra tins of soup in?

And you have the nerve to suggest people on here have “low IQ”? I’m sorry but you are a disgrace and given the fact that petty insults is now your choice of attack, I think you have just revealed a lot about yourself.

Tom, do you read The Daily Mail or The Express? It would explain a lot.

Please
or

DwayneDibbly · 20/01/2019 12:45

Tom, I have a doctorate. You have, apparently, an erection from baiting strangers online. Do fuck off, my dear.

Please
or

TomVeiga · 20/01/2019 13:49

Please
or

cloudtree · 20/01/2019 14:17

OK everyone, this thread is being completely derailed. Tom thank you for you offer of help but just view us as incapable of saving and move on please.

Please
or

AnotherShirtRuined · 20/01/2019 14:23

It's that buzzing sound again @cloudtree Grin

Please
or

smilethoyourheartisbreaking · 20/01/2019 14:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

bellinisurge · 20/01/2019 14:30

@TomVeiga , I am a prepper, I prep for all sorts and so I think about all sorts of different likely scenarios. I have offered my assistance for anyone putting stuff by for Brexit. as I have said several times, you don't need to be a prepper to prep for Brexit.
It is, as I have said countless times. a good idea to get consumables in to give you three days grace if it goes bumpy. No one wants to run out of toothpaste and need to go to shops when things are bumpy. That would be hygiene type stuff. Similar nappies, soap and sanpro. I do not see why you are having such a hard time with that concept.
Obviously the same applies to food. Again, three days is what I recommend. You can do more if you choose but you shouldn't do less.
You seem to see this as horrific scaremongering and panic buying. If you were doing it six months ago, as I started recommending, it wouldn't be a panic, would it?
Before Brexit arose as an issue I exchanged ideas on the Preppers topic with other like minded people; other Preppers.
Please god we can carry on with our little thing and not bother anyone, apart from the odd hater who pops on and gets bored.
It would be remiss if me to stoke panic. Which is why I and others do the opposite.
I don't know if you are a man or a woman but you clearly have a problem with people taking some personal control of their situation. I can't help you with that and suggest you seek professional help.

Please
or

bellinisurge · 20/01/2019 14:55

Apologies to all for reacting to that shit. I think @DwayneDibbly has it spot on. If you pardon the expression.Grin

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?