Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Preppers

Prepping for brexit

434 replies

Numberonecook · 20/09/2018 10:42

Ive just started getting some bits together ready for brexit. As a food scientist I am very aware of how much produce comes into the country and the resources needed to get things around the country. Im also aware of the chain and how everything is ‘just in time’ And a delay in the chain could lead to serious shortages and price rises.

This really worries me as there is 5 of us to feed. So, what non food essentials do you think I should also consider? We are not prepping for huge disaster just 6 months or so. I’ve got things like toiletries, loo roll etc. Anything else?

OP posts:
Please
or

TomVeiga · 02/02/2019 16:04

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

NationalShiteDay · 02/02/2019 16:18

RIP Roy.

I went to buy custard powder the other day and Tesco was all out. Have been stashing the Ella's kitchen pouches for a while due to 8mo and noticed Tesco have just put the price up. 🤔 Coincidence? The pouches themselves are manufactured in Europe.

Please
or

ClanoftheCaveBear · 02/02/2019 16:19

Just back from Morrison’s. It was busy and there were quite a few gaps in places like tims and frozen veg. There was an offer on loo roll and lots of it being bought. RIP Roy and also Janet who I had to rugby tackle for the last packet of Idaho mashWink Just wait for the Christmas letterGrin
My Brexit freezer now has oven chips, onions, peppers, courgettes, peas, sugar snap peas, broad beans and cauliflower cheese. Butter, grated cheese, cured meat slices, chorizo, pancetta, bacon, gammon, steak, fish, prawns.
I want to get frozen spinach, chicken and fill a drawer with frozen fruit.
I’m batch cooking mince dishes with fresh veg- last week pork mince, fennel seed and courgette, this week beef mince bolognaise.
Next week will do Spanish chicken and chorizo.

Please
or

BlackeyedGruesome · 02/02/2019 16:59

I buy some for the stash and some for now as I have no self control.

I have cleared out the side of a piece of furniture and am beginning to pop the odd tin into the space, now I have shut the curtains.

Please
or

Gattara · 02/02/2019 19:54

@londonloves, re batteries - if you're in the UK I buy them at Home Bargains, they have decent brands e.g. Duracell a lot cheaper than anywhere else I've seen.

Please
or

Gattara · 02/02/2019 20:29

oh ignore me, of course you're in the UK, we're on the blinking preppers thread...! its been a long day.

Please
or

londonloves · 02/02/2019 22:17

Nearest home bargains to me is 50 mins away Confused don't think that's worth the mission with the toddler, although he'd probably think it was fun!
Think it might have to be Asda.

Please
or

cloudtree · 02/02/2019 23:25

Amazon own brand batteries are good. The high strength ones.

Please
or

TomVeiga · 04/02/2019 15:23

Please
or

bellinisurge · 04/02/2019 15:29

Great! No checks on lorries. Now that is taking back control of our borders. Hmm

Please
or

cloudtree · 04/02/2019 16:16

All those who voted to leave because they were worried about the calais migrants getting in will be delighted I'm sure Grin.

Please
or

londonloves · 04/02/2019 17:10

Well if the Sun says it then it must be true, right....

Please
or

bellinisurge · 04/02/2019 17:19

Hope people traffickers read the Sun. they'll know there's a window of opportunity to try and get people on lorries coming unchecked into the UK.
Don't remember seeing that idea on the bus.

Please
or

Destiel · 04/02/2019 17:26

Don't forget toiletries and san pro guys!

I've switched to reusable san pro.

Also:
Vitamins, 1st aid supplies, batteries, wind up torches, wind up radio, matches, candles, primus stove...

I got my torches from IKEA. £4 each.
Also batteries.

Please
or

Destiel · 04/02/2019 17:30

bellini I've said to dh more than once that - even if b day isn't the disaster 80% of businesses and govt dept thinks it will be - I will always keep a pantry of food and basic supplies now.

I'm embarrased how unprepared we were.

Please
or

TomVeiga · 04/02/2019 23:57

Please
or

cloudtree · 05/02/2019 05:22

I think we can all agree on something about you Tom - and it isn't that.

Please
or

bellinisurge · 05/02/2019 05:39

Touching that the solution to the potential food supply issue is to abdicate responsibility for our borders. Don't remember that being a slogan.

Please
or

bellinisurge · 05/02/2019 06:53

Letting foreign sellers send any old shit through with no legal recourse isn't what we have now. Any contract we have with whoever in Spain to supply us with goods will have no legal merit if we no Deal. They can send us any old shit. And won't have valid insurance for the load once it leaves E.U. shores. Neither will we. Although I imagine that hiked up premiums at being calculated as I type.
The open borders idea to get food in will be "kept under review ". Here's the review "Shit expensive goods but at least it's food"/"Free for all for people traffickers but at least it's food".

Please
or

NopeNi · 05/02/2019 06:58

I'm looking forward to leavers realising that they have so much less control now than they ever did.

Cue the "it's not about immigration" comments of course but it was, the racist pricks

Please
or

bellinisurge · 05/02/2019 07:00

There's an AIBU thread just now about having a "survival kit" in the car in winter. Not seen a single post saying either "don't go out in snow" or "of course it won't be needed, are you mad?".
And the difference between that and getting a 3 day buffer (or more) of food in the house is .....

Please
or

BlackeyedGruesome · 05/02/2019 11:55

concerned that bellini's eyes have rolled so far round that they will get stuck. I am having trouble keeping mine to the front!

three days food is not extreme in any way, as many people do a weekly shop... and a mid week top up. but it is oh so hysterical to suggest that your kids might be ill for three days.. it would reduce the number of AIBU to take my kid with chicken pox to the supermarket because Ihave run out of food, posts.
Please
or

TomVeiga · 08/02/2019 20:43

Please
or

bellinisurge · 08/02/2019 21:06

Foot and mouth was a home grown disaster which shows how shit we can be if proper controls are not followed.

Please
or

TomVeiga · 11/02/2019 18:56

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?