My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

Due February 2024 Thread 7!!🤰🩷💙

986 replies

AllAboardTootToot · 28/01/2024 00:25

Cannot believe we are on the 7th iteration and the babies are starting to arrive 😭❤️

OP posts:
Kelb79 · 21/02/2024 14:17

They put a pessary in last night and basically are giving it 24 hours before they look at next steps, I’m soooo bored 🫣🫣 I really thought things were gonna get going when the tightenings started but nope 🤷🏼‍♀️😐

anony1111 · 21/02/2024 14:33

@Kelb79 ahh that's so frustrating! How is your blood pressure today? Are you feeling ok in yourself still? I'll keep everything crossed that things get going for you asap 🤞🏼

Kelb79 · 21/02/2024 15:01

@anony1111 my blood pressure has been wavering around the “threshold” mark. One minute they’re talking about medicating, the next they say no need 🙄🤷🏼‍♀️ I’ve had readings all over the place 🤣🤣

LavenderSweetPea · 21/02/2024 17:56

Thanks for your advice @Hankthehonk I think you're right some of it was normal cluster feeding. Yesterday it was like nothing I did seemed to make him full but today he's feeding well and settling afterwards and I'm not doing anything differently today.

I have however contacted my health visitor as a friend told me they run weekly clinics where you can make an appointment to have baby weight checked. It'll put my mind at ease if I can know for sure he's gaining weight.

Anyway so I emailed them to make an appointment and told DH that I was struggling a bit with the feeding so I had 'contacted the health visitor to ask about giving the baby a weigh' unfortunately DH thought I had lost my mind and had contacted the HV about giving our baby away. Fortunately we cleared up that misunderstanding quite quickly! Now I must remember instead to say check the babies weight or people will think I'm a terrible parent 😂

anony1111 · 21/02/2024 19:57

@Kelb79 oh that sounds fun, hopefully you won't need to be medicated for it 🤞🏼

Ebonythoughts · 21/02/2024 20:38

Can I jump on the breastfeeding discussion please? It’s driving me nuts. It’s been 6 days I had my little girl via c-section and even though I’m struggling with how immobile I am with pain from the surgery, it’s breastfeeding that has been stressing me more.

I’ve had a few professionals and family members check my latch when I feed and since the first day baby has been latching well and feeding but the first struggle was that baby was refusing to be put down and only contact slept and was using my nipple after a while of feeding as a dummy which left me with super sore nipples. I think really struggled to keep feeding on demand because it felt like it just wasn’t filling her with just colostrum and even the midwives at the hospital suggested I top up with formula. I hoped I wouldn’t need it but gave in. I continued topping up with formula when I was discharged and came home because my milk hadn’t come in yet and this resulted in 3/4 formula feeds a day. I felt like I was losing hope for exclusive breastfeeding and when the midwife in the first home visit said that baby was a good weight and to continue doing what I was doing I felt like the weight gain was due to formula top ups and that solely breastfeeding would not have reached that weight.

Yesterday my milk came in properly after 5 days of waiting and for the first time baby started to sleep in 2 hour blocks after feeds and I only needed to use formula to top up once at night. BUT my breasts are extremely sore from trying to breastfeed on demand now milk supply is starting and I feel guilty that I’m dreading the night time feeds awaiting me this evening and the thought of giving in (I know it’s not giving in but it feels like it) and using formula when I have the supply to feed on demand now.

I know breastfeeding shouldn’t be painful and the actual feeds are not but when she finishes her feed she stays latched to my nipple till she falls asleep and uses it like a dummy. Half tempted to get an actual dummy, but I’d rather not use that.

Aldo thought expressing might help increase supply but I bought the Momcozy one and used it today and nothing came out even though my breasts were quite full so I’m assuming I’m using it wrong, has anyone used this brand? Is it worth changing it to another breast pump? How long did you wait from when your milk coming in to pump/express? I might have started it too early?

So basically, (1) latch is good but baby is using nipple as dummy post feed and causing me excruciating nipple pain that puts me off feeding. (2) starting to get enough milk to feed more but still feel formula may be needed until supply increases and feel guilty about it and worried it will prevent my supply increasing. (3) trying to express using the Momcozy electric breast pump and nothing seems to be coming out so I’m assuming I’m just not using it correctly.

Sorry for the rambling and all the questions, I’m just a loss at the moment and lots of mixed emotions.

MummyTo4BoysXXXX · 21/02/2024 20:50

@Ebonythoughts honestly what your doing is great 😁 & don't stress yourself out too much hun when like you say, your milk has only just properly started to come in! So now you just need to establish some sort of routine but everything from now on baby is on your breast that will help produce more milk too, make sure your eating & drinking plenty as we need twice as much calories - have you tried eating or drinking something whilst she is actually on your boob when feeding her? & as for her using your nipple as a dummy only thing I can say is as soon as she is in a deep enough sleep like have you tried very carefully & slowly using one of your fingers to unlatch her mouth from your nipple? But making sure your unlatching your nipple from her mouth if you know what I mean? Finding it hard to explain/describe it but that's sometimes what I have to do hun x

MummyTo4BoysXXXX · 21/02/2024 20:51

@Ebonythoughts everytime from now on I meant* stupid auto correct! Lol

Ebonythoughts · 21/02/2024 21:01

MummyTo4BoysXXXX · 21/02/2024 20:50

@Ebonythoughts honestly what your doing is great 😁 & don't stress yourself out too much hun when like you say, your milk has only just properly started to come in! So now you just need to establish some sort of routine but everything from now on baby is on your breast that will help produce more milk too, make sure your eating & drinking plenty as we need twice as much calories - have you tried eating or drinking something whilst she is actually on your boob when feeding her? & as for her using your nipple as a dummy only thing I can say is as soon as she is in a deep enough sleep like have you tried very carefully & slowly using one of your fingers to unlatch her mouth from your nipple? But making sure your unlatching your nipple from her mouth if you know what I mean? Finding it hard to explain/describe it but that's sometimes what I have to do hun x

Thank you! I’m eating and drinking as much as I can, but haven’t been doing so whilst breastfeeding. I’ve been doing it in between feeds while she is sleeping.

I think I need to figure out when she’s in deep sleep because the midwife showed me what you mean I have unlatched her like that but I think I do it too early because she cries straight away and searches for it and I assume she’s still hungry 🙈

MummyTo4BoysXXXX · 21/02/2024 21:18

@Ebonythoughts see! you sound like you know what your doing hun 😁 like I say your doing great & keep going as you are! Stop putting yourself down hun, you need to obviously give it time then if your milk supply has only just came in because its babies sucking motion which helps produce the supply even more it stimulates your breasts to produce the milk so give it time hun & keep doing what your doing honestly you've got this mama 💪 & yes could be that your taking her off too early & if that's the case just quickly make her a feed hun? How many ounces of formula is she on? Their is nothing wrong with combination feeding at all, as that is what I'm doing hun 😁 as it took about 2days for my milk supply to come in properly so in meantime I had no choice but to formula feed.. I've made sure from start off though that im giving my little girl a bottle first - she is currently taking 3ounces of formula then I'm using my breasts for top ups evenly if that make sense? alongside using formula. (first time ever I have done combination feeding btw) its day 5 for us now, so my little girl got weighed & to my suprise, she hasn't lost any birth weight at all! - she's gained - she's gone from 7pounds&12 to 7pounds&15ounces 🥰 & like I say never done combination feeding before, I've only ever done solely 1 or the other lol so yeah it's a first for me to do both this time around. Xx

MummyTo4BoysXXXX · 21/02/2024 21:20

@@Ebonythoughts and you'll know when she is in a deep sleep hun as her suckling will feel more softer on your nipple lol

CalFairy · 22/02/2024 05:37

@Ebonythoughts you sound like you’re experiencing the exact same as me, I’ve been so stressed about it. Baby was weighed yesterday at 5 day check and she’d lost over 10% of weight after my csection and they think it’s because I’ve struggled with the breast feeding, which made me feel like such a failure and like I’d let the baby down :( she also uses my nipples as a soother, and tugs and moves, and due to earlier struggles with correct latch and milk coming in they’re cut to bits and bleeding and haven’t had time to recover based on how much she needs them.

I’ve felt like the midwives are still really pushing for breast feeding and they’ve said to top up with formula/expressed milk after breast feeding every 3 hours. I’ve admitted defeat tonight and we’ve just now finished a full formula feed as I got all upset at the thought of her going on my breast again when it’s sore. She keeps actively searching for my nipple though when she’s laying on me.

Hoping I’m doing the right thing and can just give formula and then resume the breast once they’re a bit better. Sending love as I know it’s tough, and like you I didn’t expect it to be.

redxlondon · 22/02/2024 07:28

CalFairy · 22/02/2024 05:37

@Ebonythoughts you sound like you’re experiencing the exact same as me, I’ve been so stressed about it. Baby was weighed yesterday at 5 day check and she’d lost over 10% of weight after my csection and they think it’s because I’ve struggled with the breast feeding, which made me feel like such a failure and like I’d let the baby down :( she also uses my nipples as a soother, and tugs and moves, and due to earlier struggles with correct latch and milk coming in they’re cut to bits and bleeding and haven’t had time to recover based on how much she needs them.

I’ve felt like the midwives are still really pushing for breast feeding and they’ve said to top up with formula/expressed milk after breast feeding every 3 hours. I’ve admitted defeat tonight and we’ve just now finished a full formula feed as I got all upset at the thought of her going on my breast again when it’s sore. She keeps actively searching for my nipple though when she’s laying on me.

Hoping I’m doing the right thing and can just give formula and then resume the breast once they’re a bit better. Sending love as I know it’s tough, and like you I didn’t expect it to be.

You are the opposite of a failure!! You’re an amazing mummy who is making sure her baby is fed. I’ve been in exact same position as you, still using a mix of formula, expressed milk and breastfeeding, and were nearly back to birth weight now - that’s the most important thing. Also, I felt awful having midwives every 2 days when he wasn’t gaining weight quickly. But it’s now come on - so try to ignore them, they don’t see bigger picture sometimes and two days is ridiculous to expect a change, she’ll get there xx

May I ask how often you’re pumping? My mum came to stay with my yesterday and was an absolute hero and let me catch up on sleep for one night. Pumped this morning and only got 90mls in 20 minutes so worried my supply is going to dry up, will see how it is through today.

A1b2c3d4e5f6g7 · 22/02/2024 08:46

Totally agree there is nothing wrong with combi feeding at all. Sounds like you're all doing an amazing job! @redxlondon 90ml sounds like a decent amount to pump to me. When my baby was months older, I was only pumping 180ml at work for each feed. 90ml at newborn sounds great!

I would say don't feel at all guilty to miss a feed or two when you're in pain and supplement with something else. It's easier said than done with the hormones etc and pressure we put ourselves under. But you should enjoy this time with your babies when they're so young, and I think sometimes we put ourselves under unrealistic pressure to be perfect.

Have you all had a check for tongue tie also, if feeding is hurting? It shouldn't be painful if there's no tongue tie and latch is correct. My baby has a tongue tie that was missed at the hospital (midwife saw it at day 5 check). She said it's a very easy painless procedure and if it does lead to painful feeding they will do it on the nhs

HopeAndStrength · 22/02/2024 11:00

90ml is amazing @redxlondon - I'm pleased when I get 30ml! Finding that a pump on one side and Haakaa on the other is starting to work quite well for me, I wasn't getting anything out with the pump before trying this.

DmcinT · 22/02/2024 11:39

I keep half writing this message and get distracted by something to do for baby girl🙈
I just wanted to say I was exact same the first 2/3 days with nipples so sore and her just latching for comfort 24/7, it was so painful. A friend got me nipple cream and the silver cups and I SWEAR by the silver cups. Within a day or 2 all pain had gone and nipples all healed up. I have them in at all times except when she’s feeding now and absolutely believe they have changed breast feeding for me🙌🏽 they are a bit expensive but I believe they are worth every penny❤️ an odd time I’ll have a wee sting for 10 seconds when she latches but it’s worlds away from the constant pain with every suck last week.

also I just wanted to say whether ur breast feeding, combi, formula etc… its a wild, emotional and crazy journey we’re on so well done everyone. Sending love to everyone still waiting to meet their beautiful babas x

CalFairy · 22/02/2024 11:53

@redxlondon @A1b2c3d4e5f6g7 Thanks both. You’re right being hormonal and wanting to do what you think is best puts so much extra pressure on! We actually had one of the most restful nights we’ve had all week after formula feeding, which makes me wonder if she just wasn’t getting enough from me to settle her or if just coincidence. Until now she wouldn’t lay in her Moses alone in the night but she did quite contently for almost two hours in a swaddle bag.

I haven’t been pumping anywhere near 90ml, I think I’ve only been getting about 30ml. Going to retry again today with expressing and continue with the formula, give my poor nipples a warm bath and some cream!

Cheetocat · 22/02/2024 11:56

I have loads of milk that sprays everywhere with a pinch and it never seems to run out but when I try pumping I just get a few drops, so frustrating. I have the medela swing maxi pump but have also tried a hospital medela pump.

CalFairy · 22/02/2024 11:58

@DmcinT just noticed your post, I’ve read good things about the silver cups. Can I ask where you got yours? Are they the Pippeta ones?

Bookwormmumuk · 22/02/2024 12:23

Today is my due date but no signs of the little one making an appearance yet. Its My first baby and I've heard you can be late. I've been trying pineapple, raspberry tea and walking to kick things off.

novamama · 22/02/2024 13:33

DmcinT · 22/02/2024 11:39

I keep half writing this message and get distracted by something to do for baby girl🙈
I just wanted to say I was exact same the first 2/3 days with nipples so sore and her just latching for comfort 24/7, it was so painful. A friend got me nipple cream and the silver cups and I SWEAR by the silver cups. Within a day or 2 all pain had gone and nipples all healed up. I have them in at all times except when she’s feeding now and absolutely believe they have changed breast feeding for me🙌🏽 they are a bit expensive but I believe they are worth every penny❤️ an odd time I’ll have a wee sting for 10 seconds when she latches but it’s worlds away from the constant pain with every suck last week.

also I just wanted to say whether ur breast feeding, combi, formula etc… its a wild, emotional and crazy journey we’re on so well done everyone. Sending love to everyone still waiting to meet their beautiful babas x

I also swear by the silver cups. Baby hates lanolin so cannot use it. I got mine from Vinted for £17. I have the Livella ones but I think any with high silver purity should be ok. They've made such a difference for us.

undercoverhero74 · 22/02/2024 13:36

@Bookwormmumuk there are a few of us still waiting for our babies so you are not alone 😊 I have tried everything and have had no luck, I think they will just come when they are ready.
My little boy has woken up with a nasty tummy bug today so I'm actually hoping baby will
Hold out another few days so he can get better! He has been so excited to meet his sister I would hate to have to keep them apart because he is sick.
@Kelb79 any progress?

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

DmcinT · 22/02/2024 14:06

@CalFairy these are the ones I have ❤️

https://amzn.eu/d/hpgYqWE?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

Hawk901 · 22/02/2024 16:31

Baby Aubrey arrived on 20th 💕

very traumatic experience originally told emergency c section but ended up having dilapan rods and laboured within 3 hours with gas and air 🙌

thanks for your support ladies, this next stage is crazy lol x

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.