My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

Is anyone else imagining Liz Truss absolutely whooping it up at Chequers this weekend?

72 replies

Mandalayblonde · 21/10/2022 13:17

Yes, she's fucked up and, yes, we are all paying the repercussions and, yes, she's due exactly the same kind of crash the economy's been through.

But I bet she's going to make the absolute most of her one last chance at country house living...

If you were her, what would you be up to there this weekend??

OP posts:
Anniefrenchfry · 21/10/2022 13:22

No if I’d publicly humiliated myself like that I’d prob just try to sneak back to my normal life and not sit looking at what I’d lost

jennakong · 21/10/2022 17:29

I'm surprised she's not on suicide watch, I doubt she'll be whooping it up. Daytime sedation more like.

I think she will step down at the next election. Then what?

Just been reading a 'PR guru' (whatever that is) make a prediction that she will end up doing reality TV, appear on I'm a Celeb, doing commercials in which she mocks her own failure, or as the villainess in panto.

Or she could just become a quiet has-been living on the £110K a year she will trouser.

Paslaptis · 21/10/2022 17:43

I don't know about "whooping it up at Chequers" but she must on some level be happy to be out of it. Horribly disappointed versus where she was a month ago, but quite relieved versus a week ago, I should think.

I doubt she'll have much trouble finding something to do. Her horrible misdeeds generally aren't blamed on her personally much outsdie of the UK as far as I've seen. And people will be curious about her point of view, whatever secrets she knows and will or won't tell. Hey, even Alex Salmond made a comeback!

If she leaves electoral politics, I'd like to see her in an activist role, perhaps using her enviable cross-party talents leading the inevitable "Rejoin EU" movement...

Is anyone else imagining Liz Truss absolutely whooping it up at Chequers this weekend?
mum2jakie · 21/10/2022 17:45

jennakong · 21/10/2022 17:29

I'm surprised she's not on suicide watch, I doubt she'll be whooping it up. Daytime sedation more like.

I think she will step down at the next election. Then what?

Just been reading a 'PR guru' (whatever that is) make a prediction that she will end up doing reality TV, appear on I'm a Celeb, doing commercials in which she mocks her own failure, or as the villainess in panto.

Or she could just become a quiet has-been living on the £110K a year she will trouser.

Step down at the next election?? You do realise she's already resigned? @jennakong

Ginisatonic · 21/10/2022 17:47

Step down at the next election?? You do realise she's already resigned? @jennakong

She’s still an MP

GCAcademic · 21/10/2022 17:47

Eh? She’s still an MP.

Falmerjeans · 21/10/2022 17:49

I don't think she enjoyed being PM so I'm sure she isn't whooping it up anywhere.

GCAcademic · 21/10/2022 17:50

She’ll be drinking the cellar dry at Chequers and scraping the wallpaper off at No. 10. Though I imagine Carrie would have redecorated again anyway, so probably pointless.

PriamFarrl · 21/10/2022 17:51

While I hate the Tories and I think she was a complete disaster I do feel for her.

PriamFarrl · 21/10/2022 17:52

Can you imagine her in 30 years time sat at some bar somewhere drinking a martini and telling people that she was PM once?

jennakong · 21/10/2022 17:56

I meant step down completely as an MP, as Cameron did after the 2017 GE, was it? He didn't stick around long anyway!

Leakygutter · 21/10/2022 18:01

I should imagine she's absolutely devastated.

Imagine your worst week at work ever, then multiply it tenfold and have to make your resignation speech to the whole world.

I'm glad she's gone, but I can't imagine she's whooping it up

Justcallmebebes · 21/10/2022 18:03

I should think she's devasted. She's totally isolated politically and has been globally humiliated. Why would she be celebrating?

That said, the whole bloody lot of them, and I include all parties, should be hanging their heads in shame at the bloody shambles they've dragged us into and with everything going on in the country and the world they're squabbling and posturing like a load of kids. It's shameful

Metabigot · 21/10/2022 18:07

I'd be quaffing on a big bottle of Stoli, Patsy from AB Fab Style if I was her.

keeprunningupthathill · 21/10/2022 18:11

I'd change my name and move abroad with my massive pension. Can't feel any sympathy I'm afraid.

PolkaDotMankini · 21/10/2022 18:11

I'd be in the most fancy bath in Chequers, drinking the most expensive alcohol from its cellars and watching fail videos on YouTube.

QuebecBagnet · 21/10/2022 18:12

I think she’s packing at Downing Street.

Cornettoninja · 21/10/2022 18:13

jennakong · 21/10/2022 17:56

I meant step down completely as an MP, as Cameron did after the 2017 GE, was it? He didn't stick around long anyway!

Speaking of Cameron I think Liz’s husband has a resemblance.

Cookerhood · 21/10/2022 18:14

I'd heard that BJ hadn't moved out of chequers so she hadn't actually been there but that may well be wrong.
I don't feel.sorry for her, but

Cookerhood · 21/10/2022 18:14

I do feel for her teenage daughters.

PeekabooAtTheZoo · 21/10/2022 18:16

Wait she gets 110k a year EVERY year now forever? She doesn’t have to get a job or sign on? WTF? We’re paying this to every living former PM? Are the conservatives just burning through members becoming PM until they are all getting paid this?
Fucking batshit!

TerfQueen · 21/10/2022 18:19

45 days as PM and she’s entitled to a full prime minister pension of £100k a year 🤣 I’d be elated, off my tits on champers laughing at the plebs

Leakygutter · 21/10/2022 18:20

PeekabooAtTheZoo · 21/10/2022 18:16

Wait she gets 110k a year EVERY year now forever? She doesn’t have to get a job or sign on? WTF? We’re paying this to every living former PM? Are the conservatives just burning through members becoming PM until they are all getting paid this?
Fucking batshit!

I didn't know about this until today either. Apparently it was introduced for Thatcher by Major. You might argue she at least did her time, but for most 5 years in the job (if you last the full term) gets you an immediate massive pension from the public purse? How is that OK? PMs go on to make a fortune out of having been PM anyway.

Leakygutter · 21/10/2022 18:20

Maybe she's not as daft as we thought and she's played an absolute blinder there!

SpiderBabies · 21/10/2022 18:23

It's not a pension. That's the maximum amount of expenses she can claim in relation to any public event she undertakes in specific relation to her time as PM. They're not just going to hand her £115k every year for the rest of her life.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.