Please
or
to access all these features

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Politics

The Westminster Arms

988 replies

DustyDiamond · 21/01/2020 15:07

As requested, I have contacted MNHQ via the contact provided in the deletion message

Welcome to The Westminster Arms!

🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

A non-partisan politics pub thread for political chit chat....!!

Please stick within MN talk guidelines - any posts which you think may have crossed the line, please report rather than getting into scraps on thread 😠

Political punch-ups are soooo last decade - ain't nobody got time for that πŸ₯ŠβŒ

Be nice! Be respectful!

S'ok to slag off politicians, but not other posters 🍻

OP posts:
Coppersulphate · 21/01/2020 18:01

Can't work out what's going on with guido and the lobby.
Can anyone enlighten me?

time4chocolate · 21/01/2020 18:03

Just watched an interview with Emily Thornberry from this morning where she stated that Boris has a woman problem

'It is an advantage to be a woman leader at this time because I think Boris Johnson has a woman problem, most definitely’
β€˜He certainly has a problem with me. I think the Labour Party should think about that.'

1. I’m not sure that is the right approach - pick a woman leader coz Boris has a woman problem.
  2. ’well he certainly doesn’t like me’ (meaning vote for a woman and preferably me). Whilst I think that’s possibly true of BJ (she is beyond irritating) I think that’s where it ends. Quite a jump to say he doesn’t like me therefore he has a problem with women. I have a huge problem with ET, go figure.
Walkingdeadfangirl · 21/01/2020 18:03

I get the impression it was Hammond who wouldn't spend but I may be wrong
I think that as well. They thought they would eventually get a May deal through and then he would turn on the taps making it look like a Brexit bounce.

Nandy could be a 'quiet' leader, rebuild the damage Corbyn did and prepare the party for a leader who can really take Boris on. Starmer will probably just take on Boris head to head (in some sort of alpha male battle) before rebuilding the party and I think he will come a cropper.

Walkingdeadfangirl · 21/01/2020 18:14

Can't work out what's going on with guido and the lobby

The lobby is a sort of 'private' club of journalists that attend government briefings. Well Guido started to live tweet during briefing and all the other journalists were 'offended' & tried to get him kicked out claiming he wasn't a real journalist nor even a member of the lobby. They tried to drag the government rep into it but he essentially said 'nothing to do with me guv' sort it out yourselves.

They weren't able to sort it out and are still arguing about it.

Essentially the privileged few journalists in the lobby are trying to protect their privilege and stop other journalists from having access.

time4chocolate · 21/01/2020 18:14
DustyDiamond · 21/01/2020 18:25

I've just read all the guido updates - it's ages since I looked on there

It's very funny - Tom Newton-Dunn is apparently head lobby-whinger πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

OP posts:
ommmward · 21/01/2020 18:26

Yes that's the story!

EpicIndividual · 21/01/2020 18:48

Ha! That Lobby Bunfight is amazing. πŸ˜‚

Coppersulphate · 21/01/2020 19:02

Got it, thanks time,
I follow guido Fawkes but couldn't make it out.

Walkingdeadfangirl · 21/01/2020 19:11

I dont understand why they dont televise it and just cut the journalists out.

SingingLily · 21/01/2020 19:48

Walking, you are right. Spreadsheet Phil brought his exciting accountancy skills to the MoD when he was Defence Secretary and ran down Armed Forces resources. Having made such a success of that, he bagged the chancellorship and applied his forensic mind to other departments with particular regard to those on the Brexit frontline. He hampered the Home Office's preparations when it looked as though we were facing an imminent No Deal and pulled every string he could to convince everyone possible that anything other than BRINO was a Bad Idea.

The strange thing is that when it was politically expedient he started off as a dyed-in-the-wool Eurosceptic.

Funny thing, Damascene conversions.

The reason given as to why Sajid Javid can ease up on the austerity programme now is that borrowing money - at least by governments - has never been so cheap. It may never be so cheap again. By borrowing at ridiculously low rates now, he can support overdue investment in upgrading infrastructure which will save ££££££ in the end.

It's a sort of Spend To Save programme.

XingMing · 21/01/2020 19:49

I suspect that it's journalists' spin that makes it accessible to the people who aren't in the political loop.

I have my fingers crossed for Lisa Nandy. I think she's a fresh face and voice, from outside the metropolitan circus, and while she believed in the EU, she took a very courageous decision to represent her constituents' view when it was unpopular. Even if she isn't as experienced as the PLP's top bananas might wish, I think she'd be a decent interim leader while they sort out the policies they need time to mull over quietly out of the public gaze. I don't dislike Keir Starmer but it's time for Labour to have a female leader, so to have all their talents line up behind a relative unknown would send a message about humility.

SingingLily · 21/01/2020 19:53

Emily Thornberry. What can I say?

He certainly has a problem with me

Boris might or might not.

However I've got a problem with her. Lots of people in the country have a problem with her. That doesn't automatically mean we have a "woman problem". It could just be an Emily Problem.

Further to Lisa Nandy, all she needs now to make it on the ballot is a nomination from an affiliate. It's rumoured that Chinese For Labour is thinking of doing the honours.

XingMing · 21/01/2020 19:53

Hammond ran down the forces' capabilities to tissue paper thickness.

Walkingdeadfangirl · 21/01/2020 19:55

"The IMF has predicted that the UK economy will outpace the Eurozone in its new forecasts released yesterday. The forecasts, stretching two years in the future, show the UK’s growth will accelerate in both 2020 and 2021. Despite Brexit…"

πŸ˜€πŸ˜πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜„πŸ˜…πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

(hopefully we are still ok to use emojis)

ommmward · 21/01/2020 19:55

Is Nandy a back bencher? If so, that's another thing in her favour IMO. I know it makes her inexperienced, but it also means that she's untainted with the Corbyn bad vibe. I agree with your interpretation of it, Xingming

DustyDiamond · 21/01/2020 20:07

hopefully we are still ok to use emojis

No emojis 😠

This is an emoji, meme, photoshop & fun free zone

There will be no music, no singing, no video links and no hilarity

It.
Is.
All.
Banned.

If you digress, I will get very cross

OP posts:
DustyDiamond · 21/01/2020 20:09

God, that would be awful 😩😩😩😩

Feel free to spam the shit out of the place with numerous emojis etc 😍😍😍😍😍

OP posts:
XingMing · 21/01/2020 20:10

Roundhead levels of decoration and fun! I presume singing and dancing are also proscribed?

DustyDiamond · 21/01/2020 20:10

I think I'm very much #TeamNandy now

Everything that's been said here about her I agree with πŸ‘

OP posts:
XingMing · 21/01/2020 20:11

Are we allowed to switch the jukebox on?

DustyDiamond · 21/01/2020 20:12

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

You can 🎀 🎡 & πŸ’ƒπŸ» to your hearts content Xing 😍😍

There'll be karaoke later 🎢

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

DustyDiamond · 21/01/2020 20:12

I need to get a new photoshop project on the go...

OP posts:
EpicIndividual · 21/01/2020 20:13

I cannot stomach an Emoji free world, it would be like a world without rainbows!!!!

The Westminster Arms
dirtyrottenscoundrel · 21/01/2020 20:14

Found you 😘

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.