Please
or
to access all these features

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Politics

The Westminster Arms

988 replies

DustyDiamond · 21/01/2020 15:07

As requested, I have contacted MNHQ via the contact provided in the deletion message

Welcome to The Westminster Arms!

🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

A non-partisan politics pub thread for political chit chat....!!

Please stick within MN talk guidelines - any posts which you think may have crossed the line, please report rather than getting into scraps on thread 😠

Political punch-ups are soooo last decade - ain't nobody got time for that πŸ₯ŠβŒ

Be nice! Be respectful!

S'ok to slag off politicians, but not other posters 🍻

OP posts:
SingingLily · 22/01/2020 10:07

Morning, everyone.

In no particular order...MrsSnippyPants, the snug is nice and warm. I've put pillows and blankets in there if you need a rest. Till then, the sausage butties and Earl Grey will keep flowing in your direction.

Hospitality, the tight timetable will be adhered to so ping pong finishes today, come what may. According to Asa Bennett at the Telegraph:

"Number 10 has already made it clear β€œwe are not intending to accept any amendment”. It will inevitably order its Tory MPs to strip out any Lordly tinkering as soon as the legislation returns to the Commons so it can be sent back on its way. In effect, I suggest onlinene_, this is the Remainers’ doomed last stand before Brexit next Friday^."

I'm predicting Royal Assent will be granted by no later than tomorrow noon.

Copper, that's an interesting snippet. A fair while ago in another time on another thread, I ventured the opinion that once the UK leaves, EU companies would want to set up branches here in order to escape sidestep the EU's regulatory regime to continue trading with us and to facilitate trade with the USA as TTIP (remember that?) had been scuppered by the Walloons. Naturally, the other posters cast doubts on both my intelligence and possibly my parentage.

Walking, Grin.** You know Ian Blackford could just phone his protest in? Or I could do it for him? "What about Scotland?...Scotland's voice being ignored...taking Scotland out of the EU against her will...Scotland...IndyRef2....". See? I'm sure I could do a fairly convincing impression.

On second thoughts, HM is reported to have a natural gift for mimicry. She could probably do the whole thing herself. No need for Wee Ian at all.

hospitalityinspector · 22/01/2020 10:07

ZingMing Saw this clip on BBC breakfast this morning and thought of your poor doggy's elbows. Maybe you could try this....

Youtube link of puppy Archie air pedalling:
uk.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=yfp-t-m&p=pedalling+bike+dog+video#id=5&vid=db0e303c39e682830680ffbf3f5a41e1&action=click

SingingLily · 22/01/2020 10:10

I beg your pardon. The Walloons nearly scuppered CETA. TTIP scuppered itself.

Interestingly, CETA still hasn't been fully implemented.

I reckon we'll have either a bare bones FTA or a sector-by-sector arrangement with the USA long before the EU even gets its act together.

EpicIndividual · 22/01/2020 10:16

β€œGreat meme Dusty... is that Sir John Major? Which is my impression of Sir Keir.”

I was coming to say the same! He’s the new grey man....

Morning All, breakfast looks amazing! Thanks!

XingMing · 22/01/2020 10:16

SO cute, Hospitality. Sadly XingDog is a lab and too large to take cycling in a babybjorn sling!

EpicIndividual · 22/01/2020 10:34

β€œThese figures clearly show that many firms see the UK as Europe’s premier financial services hub,” said Michael Johnson, a consultant at Bovill.

More than 300 financial firms in Britain have opened EU hubs to continue serving clients in the bloc after Brexit, according to a recent survey from New Financial think tank.”

Excellent. With the 2400 extra new staff (from the article) in the New EU hubs and the new positions being created here. That would appear to be a win win for everyone. But, I’m sure someone will be along soon to tell me i’m wrong. πŸ˜‚

SilverySurfer · 22/01/2020 10:50

Morning all.

I'm getting the impression that I'm the only Tory in here, do I need my own snug?

Ian Blackford is sounding very whiney - no change there then. Of course the Queen will cancel Brexit because he wants her to [rolls eyes]. Lily, you do it for him but don't forget och aye the noo to make you sound authentic.

Coppersulphate · 22/01/2020 10:54

No silvery, you are not the only Tory.
I am a card carrying Tory and have been for years.

EpicIndividual · 22/01/2020 10:58

Haha, no! I voted Tory but am a floating voter historically. I just want a healthy opposition. πŸ˜‰

EpicIndividual · 22/01/2020 11:02

So strange! I wrote a couple of posts before I said hello, that seemed to have posted (about blackford etc...) but they appear to not be here! Hope I haven’t posted them in some other random thread... πŸ˜¬πŸ˜‚

DustyDiamond · 22/01/2020 11:02

Dusty's StaticStarmer looks like one of those things you press your hand in to make your hand shape.

He's so grey & boring - he becomes any shape you wish him to take...

At least John Major still warranted having features (albeit grey), #StaticStarmer is even more staid & boring 😱😱😱

Le sigh at Ian Blackford's latest shenanigans πŸ™„

I think a fair few of us voted Tory in Dec Silvery - I joined last year to get a vote in the leadership contest but am not particularly attached to any party tbh

I've voted for Labour, Lib Dem, Tory, UKIP & Brexit Party at various elections over the years so am very much not loyal in any way

If Labour sort their shit out & give me something to vote for, I'm persuadable...
That said, I'm pretty aligned with current Tory direction at the mo, so (providing they don't fuck up) I'll likely stick with them next time

I do want to see a strong, capable & credible opposition though so am invested in who labour pick for leader

OP posts:
DustyDiamond · 22/01/2020 11:04

Lol Epic - random posts about 'oor Ian' popping up all over random MN threads 😳

OP posts:
EpicIndividual · 22/01/2020 11:05

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

SilverySurfer · 22/01/2020 11:06

Oh good - I agree Epic I think an effective opposition is important in our political system and has been somewhat lacking in recent years.

SingingLily · 22/01/2020 11:13

Silvery, Conservative Party member here too. I even got commandeered at short notice to be a teller at my village's polling station on 12 December and had the delightful experience of being called Tory Bitch and another (unmentionable) name by two voters for my troubles.

The name callers were not village people, or even Village People. They were incomers. However, the whole village knows and it is not best pleased. I'm happy to leave that one with them. They have l-o-n-g memories.

Dusty, Quentin Letts describes Keir Starmer as having all the charisma of a wounded kneecap.

EpicIndividual · 22/01/2020 11:14

Jess Phillips backing Nandy now. Hot off the press. πŸ˜‰

πŸ‘‹ at Jess! πŸ˜‚

SingingLily · 22/01/2020 11:14

Meanwhile, the subject of Oor Ian pops up in the Style&Beauty threads...

EpicIndividual · 22/01/2020 11:16

I’m still shocked at how you were treated Lily. Shocked, but not surprised though. There are some dreadful, politically dogmatic arseholes out there.

DustyDiamond · 22/01/2020 11:33

Jings! Crivens! Help ma boab!

It's Oor Ian & his bucket!! 🏴󠁧󠁒󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

The Westminster Arms
OP posts:
SilverySurfer · 22/01/2020 11:38

Lily you had the last laugh with the election result and presumably your own Tory MP. I bet the incomers will soon be outgoers if they receive a frosty reception.

This name calling seems to me to be a relatively new occurrence, don't recall it happening in the past. I used to be able to have conversations with Labour voters without them feeling the need to tell me to 'Fuck off Tory C**t' as I was once told on here. It's a tad extreme and I've never felt the slightest bit inclined to say that or similar to a Labour voter.

Fortunately the majority of supporters on both sides can still have a civilised conversation.

Just turned on Politics Live. It's hosted by Jo Coburn, not a huge fan so may flip to Parliament channel to watch PMQT

EpicIndividual · 22/01/2020 11:44

Lily, they have literally just raised the issue of campaigner/candidate intimidation as an offence prior to an election.

EpicIndividual · 22/01/2020 11:46

Timely! They are still discussing in HOC

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

EpicIndividual · 22/01/2020 11:47

I agree surfer. It’s disgusting. You shouldn’t have to put up with that, none of us should. Yet we have. 😞

SingingLily · 22/01/2020 11:47

The constituency chairman also laughed - rather nervously - when he came to see how I was doing and I relayed what had happened, Silvery. He asked solicitously if I was OK and would I need any support from CCHQ. I explained, nah, no need, I've been snubbed by serial killers and sent to Coventry by psychopathic rapists so a couple of weedy men who couldn't even look me in the eye were hardly like to worry me much.

That's when he laughed nervously and backed away...

PMQs should be good. Jezza can continue his masterclass for potential leaders in how to be an effective LOTO.

SingingLily · 22/01/2020 11:49

Lily, they have literally just raised the issue of campaigner/candidate intimidation as an offence prior to an election.

Wow, Epic! Joking aside, that's quite right and proper. The Tower Hamlets scandal was never properly dealt with and didn't someone post a video of some poor Jewish chap being hounded on GE day when he went to vote?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.