Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

I have never felt so bleak

106 replies

Alanis126 · 14/12/2019 17:33

The whole thing, Brexit, Johnson re-elected has put me in a pit of despair. I hate what the UK has become. Can someone, anyone recommend a website or something where I can connect with like minded people? I cannot function and I don't want to carry on like this

OP posts:
Costacoffeeplease · 14/12/2019 17:53

You want to connect with other people in a pit of despair? Why is that going to be helpful? It won’t change the result, it is what it is. Why do you want to drag yourself down further?

Cakemonger · 14/12/2019 18:00

I know what you mean, I've been functioning in a sort of daze. I'm going to wait until it sinks in then try and think of something constructive to do eg volunteering or donating. I don't know any websites sorry but just to say it's not just you Flowers

Alanis126 · 14/12/2019 18:20

Thanks cakemonger. I'm thinking local politics, a rejoin the EU campaign, something like that. I just need to know I'm not alone in this burning Brexit hell.

OP posts:
youknowitmakessensedunnit · 14/12/2019 18:22

Lol, maybe you could campaign for a People's General Election to implement a People's Vote to stop Brexit?

dreichXmas · 14/12/2019 18:25

It isn't the UK, Scotland and NI are making different choices OP.

You could move to Scotland and join the SNP. It would meet your criteria I think.

Otherwise there are still millions of people in England working for a better, fairer and greener society.

Think of an area you care about and volunteer in that you should meet like minded people.

B0bbin · 14/12/2019 18:29

If you search labour on Facebook some useful groups come up. I agree that doing some volunteering may help to restore your faith in humans again xx

Hirsutefirs · 14/12/2019 18:29

Terrible weather in Scotland though.

peteneras · 14/12/2019 18:30

One permanent solution - move to any one of the remaining 27 EU countries. Be quick, the 27 are shrinking fast.

Hirsutefirs · 14/12/2019 18:36

But avoid those with currency or debt problems.

Alanis126 · 14/12/2019 18:39

I already do live in what will be come 31 January the last remaining English speaking country in the EU. But I'm still involved in British politics and invested in the place I left 6 months ago.

OP posts:
tiggertogger · 14/12/2019 19:11

Try getting a job 🤷🏻‍♀️

megletthesecond · 14/12/2019 19:18

You can be miserable and struggle even if you work tigger. (I do).

BaubleTheLumpOfCoal · 14/12/2019 19:18

If you're no longer living in the country, I can't fathom why you're letting it affect you so much.

Disillusioneddaisy · 14/12/2019 19:21

I know how you feel op. It's utterly depressing how selfish and lacking in compassion so many people are. Remember that there's still a significant percentage of people who feel the same as you though.

Cannot for the life of me fathom why anyone would support boris and his cronies.

Alanis126 · 15/12/2019 05:02

Thanks Disillusioned. It is like everything and everyone I disagree with has taken over. I always knew other people thought differently to me but not this much. I just hate the ignorance and xenophobia I really do

OP posts:
drivinmecrazy · 15/12/2019 05:29

I feel your despair. I watched the election results with my friend who's pretty senior within the NHS.
She sobbed throughout the whole night till she went home at six in the morning.
I have family members living elsewhere in the EU.
Myself and my family are feeling pretty raw right now.
No advice just another deeply disappointed voice to join you.
Don't know where we go from here except to practice the 'I told you so' face that we're going to need in duplicate over the term of this parliament Thanks

StealthPussy · 15/12/2019 05:38

I feel the same. So depressing. I would like to move to Scotland at some point but can’t until the DC are adults for certain reasons. I think they will be independent by then. I hope they will still have us.

Alanis126 · 15/12/2019 05:44

I'm in Ireland. If you can make it work.with your income and family I'd recommend it to progressive people too. People are generally kind and open as everyone has a relative living somewhere abroad. There is much more of a sense of people looking to the future not like England which seems stuck in an imaginary past.

OP posts:
NormHonal · 15/12/2019 05:48

Loads of like-minded people on Twitter.

smiu.live/twitter-community/

NormHonal · 15/12/2019 05:56

Following @mikegalsworthy is a good place to start. Also @femi_sorry, @emmakennedy, @campbellclaret, @CarolineLucas, @BestForBritain for starters - the effort crosses political party lines. Lots of good stuff, debate, etc. Watch out for bots and block at will!

Legomadx2 · 15/12/2019 06:06

We've had three and a half years of people like you moaning.

Twitter is full of bitter Labour supporters. Go there.

Or, if you don't want to waste your life wallowing in self pity, get off the internet, go outside and do something productive. Help a charity, visit an old people's home, go for a run, do something constructive FGS.

endofthelinefinally · 15/12/2019 06:07

My mum was a great volunteer all her life and she brought us up to be the same. I started volunteering when I was about 13 and have continued all my life, as have my dc.
I think that helping those less fortunate is something we should all do if we possibly can. We are where we are. We can't change the government until the next election but we can all try and do something useful.
Crisis at Christmas is coming up, my local churches open for rough sleepers soon and need people to help cook and serve meals. This is a good time of year to get involved.

Monty27 · 15/12/2019 06:13

@44Alanis126 why don't you just do the same? Get on with it. If you feel so passionate about it come back and engage when we see what he tries to do.
Sit back and watch, and think. Then act.
Enjoy your holiday in Ireland Smile

Pixxie7 · 15/12/2019 06:33

Feel the same way, I still can’t really believe it. But Boris will muck things up don’t know when but he will.

Alanis126 · 15/12/2019 07:24

We've had three and a half years of people like you moaning.

Twitter is full of bitter Labour supporters. Go there.

Or, if you don't want to waste your life wallowing in self pity, get off the internet, go outside and do something productive. Help a charity, visit an old people's home, go for a run, do something constructive FGS.

This poat absolutely disgusted me. Ia expressing a contrary opinion automatically now moaning? Are we all just supposed to go along with everything in the Tory dump that England has become?

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.