Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Shopping with a newborn

Mamabear04 · 23/09/2022 09:07

How do you do a full food shop with a newborn? The trolley seats seem so hard/dirty to put them in....

OP's posts:
Please
or

KangarooKenny · 23/09/2022 09:09

Put a sheet or blanket under baby.

Please
or

TooMuchToDoTooLittleInclination · 23/09/2022 09:10

congratulation on your baby!! Very envious of newborn snuggles x

Online?

but in the pre covid days I'd just put a blanket on the seat if I needed to use a trolly or take the baby in their pram and use a basket/wheelie basket.

get DH/DP to do it?

Please
or

DappledOliveGroves · 23/09/2022 09:11

If they're newborn you can just put the car seat into the trolley and the baby won't make contact with anything dirty?

If they're older and can sit up then just wipe the handle and put something on the seat for them to sit on if you're worried.

Please
or

Ihaveaquestionn · 23/09/2022 09:12

Car seat in the trolley

Please
or

Dancingwithourhandstied · 23/09/2022 09:13

Put baby in a sling and push a trolley?

Please
or

bombombo · 23/09/2022 09:15

Use the ones where the car seat straps onto the trolley (or preferably, get DH to do it and stay at home cuddling the baby, like I did Grin)

Please
or

satelliteheart · 23/09/2022 09:16

I used to take a giant muslin and put it in the baby seat in the trolley to keep baby clean. Or carry baby in a sling and push a normal trolley

Please
or

Cantbebotheredwithchores · 23/09/2022 09:17

Either sling while I pushed trolley or putting car seat on the holder on top of trolley but found it hard to see over and push around!

Please
or

LeafHunter · 23/09/2022 09:17

A sling

Please
or

RagingWoke · 23/09/2022 09:20

I used a sling, both dc were Velcro babies so were happy in it and I could bf if needed as I shopped (or did anything at all because they screamed if I put them down!).
Car seat in one of the trolleys with the car seat holder or a blanket over the lay down seats when they were small as an alternative.

Please
or

TheTeddyBears · 23/09/2022 09:22

I left them at home or did online shopping it's just so hard with a small baby. I never did a full shop sometimes went with pram and put as much underneath as I cld. I put them on the trolley where u can put their car seat but I didn't like it. I cldnt see over it to steer the trolley so it was a nightmare had to constantly try looking round sides and kept bumping in to things 🙈

I also remember one time she wldnt stop crying was a nightmare trying to hold her and push a pram ended up coming home with barely anything.

Please
or

Bicthebiro · 23/09/2022 09:25

Leave baby at home and go alone
Put car seat in the trolley

TBH I never did a big shop on my own with my first child until he was able to sit up and go in the seat at the front. I still remember when DS2 was a few weeks old and taking them both to do a big shop on my own!

Please
or

NerrSnerr · 23/09/2022 09:32

I very rarely did a big shop when my children were tiny with the children. Either did it online, my husband went or I left the baby at home and went. I think I used a sling on the times I did it but it was always a bit of a pain in the arse.

Please
or

RedHerring24 · 23/09/2022 09:36

Get your partner to do it while you stay home, in the warm cuddling baby!
Thats what I did to be fair.

Im quite short so couldnt navigate the car seat in top of the trolly thing as I couldnt see where I was going!

Please
or

Mamabear04 · 23/09/2022 09:49

Thanks for all your advice! Usually DH would go or we would tag team it but we have absolutely nothing in the house and need to get stuff in before DC1 comes home...she was a covid baby so never had to do it before! Every day is a school day as a mum!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mamabear04 · 23/09/2022 09:53

Ps probably the best advice is don't do a full shop....so I'm not going to! Is it OK to put the car seat in one of the smaller trolleys?

OP's posts:
Please
or

gogohmm · 23/09/2022 09:56

Baby carrier

Please
or

20viona · 23/09/2022 10:01

Keep them in their car seat and use the trolleys which have space for the car seat on top, Asda, aldi and tesco definitely do them, not sure about the others.

Please
or

LoveBluey · 23/09/2022 10:03

I never wanted to put a tiny baby in those seats so would either use a sling or put the whole car seat in the trolley and pile the shopping around it.
I tried the trolleys with the raised bit for the car seat but then I couldn't see where I was going to just used a normal trolley.

Please
or

Clicheinaqashqai · 23/09/2022 10:06

I use a sling and do scan and shop so that I don't have to unload the trolley and repack it as that us a pain with them strapped to you

Please
or

wishuponastar1988 · 23/09/2022 10:07

I put my baby in a sling and then use a trolley. Works well. She's 6 weeks and first did this when she was around 2.5 weeks

Please
or

MolliciousIntent · 23/09/2022 10:08

Baby in the sling, scan and shop, pack bags as you go, super easy.

Please
or

PinkPlantCase · 23/09/2022 10:09

The first time I did this I put the whole car seat in the trolley, not on but in 😂

It filled the trolley and I had very little space for any shopping.

After that I mostly used a sling or the baby seats once DS was bigger

Please
or

SpinningFloppa · 23/09/2022 10:10

Just do it online isn’t that what it’s there for? Some shops even do same day now, Sainsbury’s, Iceland’s etc

Please
or

Mamabear04 · 23/09/2022 10:20

Online is more expensive though?

Great idea re scan and shop! Potty morrisons is the closest supermarket...don't think they do it?

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?