Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Sons height.

94 replies

Questions12 · 21/09/2022 06:49

My son is almost 5 and about 105/106cm tall. Is that small?

OP posts:
Please
or

LionessesRules · 22/09/2022 20:15

Arnaquer · 22/09/2022 18:59

Boys always end up taller than their Mothers. He will be tall enough.
It annoys me that it's still ok to comment on people's height. No one has any control over it.

Always??
That would make my kids taller than both their parents, and 3 of their grandparents. Be great if it happens, but genetics aren't on their side!!!

Please
or

Nat6999 · 22/09/2022 20:23

Ds was 3'6" age 5, now 6'2" age 18 & still growing as he was only 6' a year ago.

Please
or

ILoveShula · 22/09/2022 20:25

@Arnaquer , not sure if it is still true, but it was that children usually grow to be taller than the shorter of the parents.

A tall mother and a short father might not result in tall sons.

Please
or

FlipFlopFlippedyFlop · 22/09/2022 20:51

Beees · 21/09/2022 07:05

It is definitely on the smaller side and I totally feel for you. I have a DS who is on the bottom end of the centile charts and the comments get very draining.

It frustrates me greatly that it's fine for a girl to be short and yet for a boy it's seen as something to comment on negatively constantly. It's not like he can change how tall he is so I don't get why people so often need to bring it up.

DD5 is tiny. Below 2nd centile for weight and around 10th for height and we absolutely get a lot of comments from random people. Adults when they learn her age usually say "she's really tiny, isn't she?" And then repeat it s few times looking shocked even if she's right there. I normally try to laugh it off or say something like "no, she's perfectly normal for her age" (though I know she isn't). Unfortunately her classmates also keep commenting on it and it does affect her.

Op I told mimr

Please
or

ILoveShula · 22/09/2022 20:55

@FlipFlopFlippedyFlop , it's downright rude of them. No child or adult deserves unsolicited comments about something that they can't change.

As an adult, you are usually well aware of being tall or short, but as a child it can be damaging.

Please
or

Thinkbiglittleone · 22/09/2022 20:56

Our DS is 5 and smaller than that OP.
It always gets mentioned by people, which I find rude and offensive.
But he's really kind, funny, bright and happy.

You do realise why some kids are rude, when their parents happily stand around comparing the appearance of the children, it's weird IMO.

Please
or

WalkingOnSonshine · 22/09/2022 20:58

The average height for a man in the U.K. is around 5ft 8.

5ft 7 doesn’t seem too unlikely.

Please
or

Thinkbiglittleone · 22/09/2022 21:02

Oh @FlipFlopFlippedyFlop, we get it all the time when we say he's 5,
It always, "really??!! he's a dot" or he's tiny for his age or wow he's going to be small.
I do say, yes he's petite like me, and perfect as he is.

One woman said "oh I thought he was only 18 months old, my daughter is only 4 and taller "
I replied saying "no he's definitely 5, and can hear you !! As can your daughter, maybe teach her not to compare appearances.

I had to tell another parent to just stop commenting on it, after day 3 of "wow he hasn't grown much" ahhhhh just stop talking weirdo !!!

Please
or

Thinkbiglittleone · 22/09/2022 21:04

If anyone has the red book page with height to post it here, it would be interesting for us to plot our DS as our red book is elsewhere atm.

Please
or

SBAM · 22/09/2022 21:08

@Thinkbiglittleone www.rcpch.ac.uk/resources/uk-who-growth-charts-2-18-years links are there for both boys and girls charts.

Please
or

Thinkbiglittleone · 22/09/2022 21:14

@SBAM thank you, that's brilliant.

Please
or

Thinkbiglittleone · 22/09/2022 21:15

Our DS is just about on the 2nd centile by the looks of it.

Please
or

FernsAndFlowers · 22/09/2022 21:17

I noticed DD1’s height had pretty much dropped off the bottom of the chart when she was about 18mo (big baby at birth, parents average/tall height)

it took a while to be taken seriously, then was assumed to be down to food allergies/intolerances. Then they suspected growth hormone deficiency. Tests came back normal but then finally at the age of 3 she was diagnosed with a genetic growth disorder. Growth is many things, not just height and her condition impacts things like joints and puberty.

so yes, height can cover a wide spectrum but if your child drops down the chart or their height is unexpected compared to parents then it might need investigating

Please
or

Questions12 · 22/09/2022 21:19

He's the only child I'm going to have so u panic 🙊

OP posts:
Please
or

Thinkbiglittleone · 22/09/2022 21:21

If it was a genetic disorder, doesn't this get passed from a parent/ family member?

Our DS is just tiny, no other reason.

Please
or

SusanPerbCallMeSue · 22/09/2022 21:28

My son was tiny aged 5. He started school in age 3 uniform that was too big for him! He was the shortest in his class for years (only stopped because a shorter boy joined rather than him growing)

He's 15 now and 5'6, and still growing.

I'm 5'1, his dad is 5'8. His older brothers are between 5'8-5'10. So he'll probably be around the same height as them.

Please
or

smidge80 · 22/09/2022 21:35

FernsAndFlowers · 22/09/2022 21:17

I noticed DD1’s height had pretty much dropped off the bottom of the chart when she was about 18mo (big baby at birth, parents average/tall height)

it took a while to be taken seriously, then was assumed to be down to food allergies/intolerances. Then they suspected growth hormone deficiency. Tests came back normal but then finally at the age of 3 she was diagnosed with a genetic growth disorder. Growth is many things, not just height and her condition impacts things like joints and puberty.

so yes, height can cover a wide spectrum but if your child drops down the chart or their height is unexpected compared to parents then it might need investigating

Hope you don't mind me asking but can I ask what genetic condition your DD was diagnosed with?

My DD is similar, dropped off the height chart at 18 months, growth hormone fine but bone age is behind. We have been offered genetic testing by testing our bloods and DD having X-rays but im somehow nervous as if there is a genetic condition they won't be able to do anything.
As parents we aren't average height tho unlike yourselves. I'm 5ft 2 and DH is 5ft 7.

How is your DD now? X

Please
or

BryceQuinlanTheFirst · 22/09/2022 21:54

WalkingOnSonshine · 22/09/2022 20:58

The average height for a man in the U.K. is around 5ft 8.

5ft 7 doesn’t seem too unlikely.

I think it's gone up to 5ft 10

www.ukpopulation.org/average-male-height/

Please
or

FloydPepper · 22/09/2022 21:58

Questions12 · 22/09/2022 11:33

I just feel bad for him.

Look, he’ll be fine. It’s ok to be a bit shorter, you get some knobbish comments from both sexes but tbh you filter out the crap. It’s not a problem for me and I’m sure he’ll be the same.

pretty sure both my kids won’t be giants either 😀

Please
or

Botanicaa · 22/09/2022 21:59

I'm 5ft 6, my dh is 5ft 5. My 15 year old us almost my dh height. When we calculated he is meant to reach 5ft 7 but he hasn't grown for a year or so.
I do worry for him as small men get unnecessary grief. My dh has had the piss taken out of him all his adult life, luckily he really doesn't care but my son is much more senstive 🙃

Please
or

WhoppingBigBackside · 22/09/2022 22:01

I dislike the use of the term petite for a male. It's a feminine adjective.
I dated a man who described himself as petite and it gave me the ick.

Please
or

Botanicaa · 22/09/2022 22:10

DotBall · 21/09/2022 07:17

DS was 2nd centile persistently.
As a rough guide to how tall your DS might be, I’m 5’1 and DH is 5’6. DS as an adult is now 5’7 (and has never had a problem with his height either in the sports he plays or attracting a partner!)

I know its wrong of me but I'd really like my son to reach 5ft7. We are 5ft5 and 5ft 6 but he's not grown for ages. What age did your son stop growing?

Please
or

Calandor · 22/09/2022 22:39

Nobody knows how tall he will be. My sister was tallest in her class until yr7. She just stopped growing and is 5ft. I was second smallest in my class until yr7 and am 5ft4.

Can't tell at this age.

Please
or

Calandor · 22/09/2022 22:41

WhoppingBigBackside · 22/09/2022 22:01

I dislike the use of the term petite for a male. It's a feminine adjective.
I dated a man who described himself as petite and it gave me the ick.

On TikTok the teens call men under 5'9 'short kings' 😂 I quite like it

Please
or

Dinoteeth · 22/09/2022 22:46

Op neither you nor your DH are tall. Look at the heights of adults in the red book 5ft 6 for a man is probably about 9th centile, and you'll be about the same so as 25th he'll end up taller than Dad.

Something to keep in mind Shetland Ponies make Shetland Ponies

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?