Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Sons height.

94 replies

Questions12 · 21/09/2022 06:49

My son is almost 5 and about 105/106cm tall. Is that small?

OP posts:
Please
or

Questions12 · 21/09/2022 09:24

Comments are made about my height and I'm 5 foot 3. Hardly an outlier !

OP posts:
Please
or

WhoppingBigBackside · 21/09/2022 09:31

Nip the comments in the bud. It's downright rude.

Please
or

DuchessofAnkh77 · 21/09/2022 09:39

Questions12 · 21/09/2022 07:13

I thought 25th centile wasn't tiny ?

it is literally that of kids the same age 75% are taller and 25% are shorter....so yes shorter than average but not hugely short.

Please
or

Questions12 · 21/09/2022 09:46

I mean if that's all I've got to worry about I'm lucky really

OP posts:
Please
or

trevthecat · 21/09/2022 09:47

My ds is 5 in a couple of weeks. 101cm. He is one of the smallest and one of the oldest. I'm not worried. He's always been small. But I am 5'2 and dh 5'10 so although he's not short, he's not tall! I wouldn't worry too much

Please
or

Morechocmorechoc · 21/09/2022 10:03

Don't worry about it, it's not short. Mine will be around 100 to 101 at 5. He is around 4th centile. Someone will be at the lower end. He's happy and healthy. Who cares about the rest. Just unfortnate his class has giants in it!!!!

Please
or

Questions12 · 21/09/2022 11:25

No one told me parenting would be this worrying and I'm.only 5 years in!

OP posts:
Please
or

RedToothBrush · 21/09/2022 14:16

Just a point. Where you live may make a difference. It sounds bonkers but it's not. Dh has been a scout leader in an affluent area and a deprived area. The kids in the less well off area were considerably shorter in comparison to the better off area. Dh was always shocked by this.

If you and your parent are both short and you live in an area which perhaps is better off, it's entirely possible that your son will be perceived as smaller than he actually is in terms of the population as a whole.

As it goes DS was small when he was 5. He has caught up a lot with his friends now he's 8. I'm short DH isn't. The projections suggest he should be around 5'10 to 6' so above average. But he has been below average in height.

Just feed your son well and it will be fine.

Please
or

Questions12 · 21/09/2022 16:15

He eats like a horse !

OP posts:
Please
or

Questions12 · 21/09/2022 19:08

I think he's estimated to be 5 foot 7 or 8 which I don't think is too small

OP posts:
Please
or

RedToothBrush · 21/09/2022 19:48

It's fine. And only just below average height. My dad is 5' 6. 5'8 is a good height. And perfectly normal.

Please
or

holidaynightmare · 22/09/2022 08:38

@Questions12

Some people are short
Some are tall
Some are fat
Some are thin

Everyone is different and unique in their own way and please don't get upset by peoples unkind comments

Your child isn't likely to be really tall if both parents aren't but that really doesn't matter - it's all about health and happiness

Please
or

LGBirmingham · 22/09/2022 09:17

I feel for you. I was always a lot taller than everyone else. Clothes a few ages up etc... I had mostly reached my adult height by twelve (5ft10) and boy was I made to feel self conscious about it! I think it works both ways whether you're tall or short.

Thankfully a lot of the boys I was friends with had caught me up by the time we reached year 11, even some of them who were the smallest in the class when we started secondary school. Although I was still taller than most of the other girls I didn't feel like I stuck out as much any more. I definitely think boys stop growing later than girls so he might catch up in his teens?

Interestingly my 21 month old generally seems to measure smaller than average whenever he has been measured. This is despite me being tall for a woman and his dad being 5ft11 which isn't necessarily tall for a man but not short either.

Please
or

Jules912 · 22/09/2022 10:37

My DD has always been following the 9th percentile, HV says it's fine so long as their on the chart and seem otherwise healthy, after all someone has to be at the bottom. Unfortunately we missed her reception check due to Covid so not been checked recently but she seems healthy. At 7 she is starting to feel a bit self conscious about having to wear 5-6 clothes, but fortunately she's also one of the older ones in her class so isn't noticeably shorter.

Please
or

FloydPepper · 22/09/2022 10:53

Beees · 21/09/2022 07:24

It's not tiny but it is shorter than approximately 75% of his same aged male peers so unfortunately he will often be the shortest.

Unfortunately for boys it seems to be fair game to comment on their size if they are short. I'd wager in about 90% of conversations with new people my sons size is brought up withing the first few minutes. It's maddening but sadly seems to be fair game.

I’m almost 50
making comments on being shorter than average is still fair game…

Please
or

Beees · 22/09/2022 11:04

I’m almost 50
making comments on being shorter than average is still fair game…

I'm really sorry to hear that. Sad It amazes me that people think it's something of note worth commenting on. I often feel like responding no shit he's not very tall we hadn't noticed thanks so much for pointing it out. Now you've pointed it out I'll be sure to tell him to grow... Hmm

Please
or

LionessesRules · 22/09/2022 11:29

DS1 hovers around 25th height.
He is noticeably shorter than most of his friends.
DS2 hovers around 50th centile. I'd day he is on the smaller side of his friends. Both are at secondary, and the difference is getting more noticeable.

Interestingly, DS1 (who eats like a horse) is also skinny. He gets called tall when out with family - possibly because he is tall in comparison to his waist size!!!! But it adds to the size differential when he is inches shorter, and also much slighter.

Please
or

Questions12 · 22/09/2022 11:33

I just feel bad for him.

OP posts:
Please
or

DuchessofAnkh77 · 22/09/2022 17:35

Questions12 · 21/09/2022 19:08

I think he's estimated to be 5 foot 7 or 8 which I don't think is too small

My DS started at the 50th centile, then gradually by the age of 10 ended up on the 2nd centile....

He has (just) at 16 nearly got back to the 50th centile.....

So it's by no means a given that they will follow or stay on any give height trend....

Please
or

Hellocatshome · 22/09/2022 18:48

Questions12 · 22/09/2022 11:33

I just feel bad for him.

Please try not to. I wasted the early years of DS's life worry and feeling bad for him being small. He is 12 now still small but has competed in his sport where being tall is a distinct advantage at National level. Being short is just one part of his life he has many other parts of him, his personality, his future that are as big as he wants to make them.

Please
or

Arnaquer · 22/09/2022 18:59

Boys always end up taller than their Mothers. He will be tall enough.
It annoys me that it's still ok to comment on people's height. No one has any control over it.

Please
or

TinyPawz · 22/09/2022 19:09

Beees · 21/09/2022 07:05

It is definitely on the smaller side and I totally feel for you. I have a DS who is on the bottom end of the centile charts and the comments get very draining.

It frustrates me greatly that it's fine for a girl to be short and yet for a boy it's seen as something to comment on negatively constantly. It's not like he can change how tall he is so I don't get why people so often need to bring it up.

I have the complete opposite of this. All 3 of my DG were/are over 98th centile and I am constantly hearing 'oh my, isn't X tall for her age' 🤦‍♀️

Please
or

Skinterior · 22/09/2022 19:23

Funnily enough I've been reviewing the dimensions of 1.3 million European children this week.

The majority 4.5yr old is 104cm, the majority 5.5yr old is 110cm

I wouldn't worry.

Please
or

Fiveinthebed22 · 22/09/2022 19:31

Oh the other end my children are all ‘tall’, dd in particular was always a foot ahead of others in her class. She was referred to as the tall one and absolutely hated it (still walks stooped to appear smaller), she stopped growing age 11 and is 5ft 5.5 so perfectly average for an adult but she was so worried she was going to be a tall forever and have it commented on constantly.

Please
or

Questions12 · 22/09/2022 19:57

Skinterior · 22/09/2022 19:23

Funnily enough I've been reviewing the dimensions of 1.3 million European children this week.

The majority 4.5yr old is 104cm, the majority 5.5yr old is 110cm

I wouldn't worry.

What is your job? That sounds intense !

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?