Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Week 2 Summer Low Carb Bootcamp - continued thread!

364 replies

BIWI · 02/06/2017 21:53

My goodness Smile I don't think we've ever had a second thread in week 2!

Anyway, the last thread is full, so let's carry on the chatting here until the new thread on Monday!

OP posts:
Please
or

Nowwhatsthis · 03/06/2017 10:22

NamelessEnsign How far away is the season? Any chance of you getting adapted before?

So other than exercise being bloody tough, it's still good is it? And fat definitely gets burnt?

Please
or

ilovecherries · 03/06/2017 10:29

I had to weigh the dog this morning for the vet (which as she's scared of the scales, means I had to weigh me as well) and I seem to be down 3lbs since Monday, and 6.5 since we started. Hoping I can get to my first half stone by official weigh in day. Spurred me on to have a positive weekend :)

Please
or

prettybird · 03/06/2017 10:31

Jiminy - you look fabulous Flowers

I've had a good week so far - and the scales so far are rewarding me. The trick is drinking lots of water; I drink 2 glasses of water every time I go to the loo so it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy Blush I was out all day yesterday at Gardening Scotland and forgot to take water, so had a lot of catching up to do when I got in at 6 Shock Had 3 Americanis while I was there and 2 glasses of water from the bottle my friend had taken (he'd also taken some chilled white wine Blush). Both of us are low carbing except for his wine so lunch was a lovely lamb burger and beef burger (with rocket, fried onions and tomato relish) minus the bun from the Jim Fairlie stall (farmer brother of the Michelin started chef Andrew Fairlie). It was worth the long queue.

Someone on the last thread asked about people who'd fallen off the wagon and put weight on. In my case it was a case of emotional eating and depression, exacerbated by problems with my marriage (which of those comes first? Confused).

The really illogical thing is that once I am low carbing, my mood improves Confused But then, human beings aren't logical. Wink

Please
or

YoLoZammo · 03/06/2017 10:55

heman yyy "I am not a bin" fantastic mantra, I'm going to use that.

I also think that I've been a member of the Clean Plate Club all my life, as a result of always having to eat what I was given and Never Waste Food as a child. My DM grew up always hungry during rationing times, so the strict aversion to food wastage was totally ingrained in her and then passed to me. I now (very recently) try and always leave a little bit, just to condition my brain that it's OK to do so.

Please
or

C4pinkwheels · 03/06/2017 10:56

I feel depressed and miserable, probably because it's my birthday on Tuesday and I just never imagined I would be still struggling to get over my surgery twelve bloody weeks after it happened.
I also haven't left the house for ten days and although my DH is great in some ways at weekends he never thinks that I might like to get out and do anything, he just does his own thing. My support worker has only been in for one day this week instead of three so he's also moaned that she hasn't ironed any shirts for him. I just bit my lip instead of pointing out that I pay her to help me not do his ironing. Grrr

Food - I'm sick of eggs but as I'm not the one doing the shopping that's all I have

Brunch - eggs x 2
Dinner - mince, cauliflower and spinach

Please
or

YoLoZammo · 03/06/2017 10:59

Here's a challenge: I have a whole chicken to cook tonight. I'm so bored of lemon herb, piri piri and Moroccan spices. Any ideas to jazz it up with some tasty flavour?

I have cabbage asparagus and spiral carrot to go alongside.

Please
or

Daisy62 · 03/06/2017 10:59

Adalind I think being veggie does make it a bit harder in this first 2 weeks. I was eating too much cheese too, and have decided to only have it at one meal a day now. I'm eating an avocado every day... They have a bit of protein in them. I'm having a limited amount of seeds and nuts, usually on Greek yogurt at breakfast. That leaves cheese, eggs or tofu for lunch and dinner... I don't eat soya and quorn. I was happily eating babybels quite a bit, but have stopped. I guess we're all finding out more about how our bodies respond to this way of eating... I'm thinking of the early weeks as an experimental phase, like I'm doing the research work, and trying not to get too hung up about the figure on the scales. Just suggested to DH that we take the batteries out of the scales until Mondays, so I don't obsessively weigh. He suggested I practise some self control instead. Nice!

Please
or

YoLoZammo · 03/06/2017 11:01

C4 can you ask your DH to take you out anywhere today? Even if just for a drive and a nice coffee somewhere.

Please
or

YoLoZammo · 03/06/2017 11:05

adalind it's all about the long game. Weeks and days will find weight fluctuations on any WOE. Think about how you want your body to look and feel this time next year, or by Christmas. Visualise that and keep it in focus. Ups and downs along the way WILL happen to all of us. Don't get obsessed with what the scales say. Honestly, that way madness lies!!

You can do it! We all can! Smile

Please
or

herecomesthsun · 03/06/2017 11:09

[[https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/roast-chicken-with-tarragon-cream-sauce.html roast chicken with tarragon and cream]]

This version appears to omit white wine which is just as well. You could substitute celeriac for potatoes and include lots of veg?

Please
or

herecomesthsun · 03/06/2017 11:10

C4 Flowers] you are doing marvellously well

Please
or

HemanOrSheRa · 03/06/2017 11:14

C4 Flowers

Something like this any good YoLo?

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1853673/tandoori-roast-chicken

It's very interesting - my sister is naturally slender. She is able to regulate her food intake and appetite. We both love food, our parents were good, adventurous cooks. We are both pretty good home cooks too. I've watched how she eats - she can enjoy her food but STOP when she is full not completely stuffed to the brim. I've even seen her take a second helping, eat some and leave the rest. Imagine thatShock?! She also absolutely does not eat the vast amount of carbs like I do (or hopefully did).

Please
or

NamelessEnsign · 03/06/2017 11:40

nowwhat yes I think the exercise will help with fat burning - just have to adapt mentally to the different feeling.

We'll start preseason in August with the full season in mid Septmember - a huge incentive to get into shape because (1) it's much easier when I'm not carting extra fat around and (2) our kit is very much Lycra-based and (3) our matches are photographed and it is never good to see a photo with all the fat flobbling around as you decelerate from a sprint!

Please
or

ilovecherries · 03/06/2017 12:03

Whoever suggested this is a genius. Stuck a fruit teabag in a bottle of sparkly water, leave for an hour, pour over ice and add a couple of mint leaves. Lovely! Can't remember who it was, but thanks for the idea.

Week 2 Summer Low Carb Bootcamp - continued thread!
Please
or

ilovecherries · 03/06/2017 12:10

C4, that must be incredibly hard. I was stuck in the house for 6 months before orthopaedic surgery (though not in bed, thankfully), seeing everything through a morphine induced haze, and I thought I would go mad. World shrinks so small, and you are so at the mercy of someone else for every choice. I had a monumental meltdown one day because DH bought the toilet roll that was on offer, rather than the one I had said on the list I wanted. I wept shouted and ranted for hours. I think I scared the living daylights out of them all. It's so hard, I really feel for you.

Please
or

C4pinkwheels · 03/06/2017 12:28

Thank you everyone for the flowers and support.

I love you get it absolutely, he just bumbles along doing his thing - right now he is outside in the sunshine pottering in the garden and I hate him for it. He has suggested going to the gastro pub where DS is a chef and having a BBQ at about 5:30 and having a nice family meal tomorrow to celebrate my birthday and that's lovely but I want to tell them all to fuck off and wallow in my own misery. I suffered a lot with mental health problems when I first became paralysed, not helped by my three teenage step children not wanting to be part of our family it that involved seeing me. It's complicated.
I became seriously suicidal and almost succeeded in 2015 but I've come so far since then and for the first time in seven years actually got discharged from MHS and quit antidepressants last year. I was fitter and healthier than I'd been since becoming disabled before surgery and thought I would just bounce back this time but I didn't and I'm not and I have more surgery to come. I've already cancelled once and I'm seeing my surgeon next Friday to plan what happens next. In the meantime I'm stuck wearing a cast every time I get out of bed, it's hot, sweaty and uncomfortable and not about to catch on as a fashion accessory any time soon.

Writing it all down it makes sense - Birthday, pain, the ventilator which is still quite new, seeing my surgeon next Friday, wearing the cast, loneliness. But it doesn't make me feel any better and I want to go and eat a nice slice of buttery toast with marmalade.

Please
or

Daisy62 · 03/06/2017 12:30

YoLo your comment about the long game and thinking of how you want to look at Christmas or next year is very helpful for me... So easy to get hung up on exactly what you weigh today or tomorrow, but probably not conducive to long term health. Am going to keep reminding myself that a) I am not the bin, and b) I'm aiming for long term sustainable change not a quick fix.

Please
or

wombattoo · 03/06/2017 12:31

C4 It sounds so tough. I really feel for you Thanks
Can you ask DH to take you somewhere? Even just a local coffee shop would make it so much better.

Jim You look amazing in that picture. I remember you posting a pic on the last bc and you now look so much different. I think you would already look fantastic in a wedding dress.

It great reading how positive everyone is. I haven't said it for, ooh at least ... one day.. Grin .. but stick with it. Follow the rules and It will work.

Please
or

wombattoo · 03/06/2017 12:35

C4 I understand that virtual support can only go so far and does not make anything better, but in all honesty, would the toast and marmalade make it better? If you genuinely think it would, then I would recommend having it. If you know that it won't improve things, then give it a miss.

Your mental health is the most important thing here, especially with the physical issues that you are having to deal with.

I wish I could come round and give you a hug Thanks Thanks

Please
or

Daisy62 · 03/06/2017 12:36

C4 you are doing amazingly well in very difficult circumstances. I take my hat off to you. Would your DP take you out for a little change of scene before this evening, might raise your spirits? Keep on going with the LC, you're doing well.

Please
or

Yorkshirebornandbred · 03/06/2017 12:37

Ooh new thread! I can't keep up with you all .. big threads take too long to load on my phone.

Please
or

NamelessEnsign · 03/06/2017 13:02

C4 you have come so far - you must be a heroically strong person Flowers.

I agree with pp - if the toast would really make your day better, you could do that. But if what you really want is some company and some time in the sunshine, give your husband a shout and a bollocking and tell him to do better.

Please
or

Flibbertyjibbit · 03/06/2017 13:23

Flowers for C4, hope you get out for a coffee.

First week is done for me with a 4.9kg loss. I've usually fall of the wagon at this point thinking I've done so well a food treat won't hurt. This time I'm rewarding myself with a new book. Fingers crossed I can stay on the wagon this week.

Please
or

PlymouthMaid1 · 03/06/2017 13:24

I really feel for those of you suffering long term ill health. It must be so hard sometimes. Tackling weight issues too is amazing when you feel a bit crap anyway. Makes feel guilty as j have no excuses for weight gain other than being to lazy after work to actually example exercise instead of eating stuff.

Today's planned food is yog , cream, cinnamon and a few berries, rest off yesterday's tofu and beansprouts for lunch and prob smoked haddock and green veg with butter. Have also had a creamy coffee as could be too low in fat today I think. May explode a babybel tonight.

My oh is now very interested and says he may do this in week or two. My daughter still worries a bit about the high fat content for me but has acknowledged that this woe works for me.

Please
or

YoLoZammo · 03/06/2017 13:42

C4 that tandoori chicken recipe looks amazing. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. I've just eaten bacon and eggs so it's not real hunger it's my brain obsessing about food. I'm laughing at myself for only just recognising this. I'm going to cook it later. Or maybe tomorrow as it suggests 24 hr marination. Off to buy some lemons!

Thanks sun too for the recipe suggestion. The curry has it though Grin

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?