Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Week 2 Summer Low Carb Bootcamp - continued thread!

364 replies

BIWI · 02/06/2017 21:53

My goodness Smile I don't think we've ever had a second thread in week 2!

Anyway, the last thread is full, so let's carry on the chatting here until the new thread on Monday!

OP posts:
Please
or

SayrraT · 03/06/2017 16:24

Gutted! Pizza express don't do melanzane anymore! OH and I were out, he wanted pizza (no oven just now) and I knew melanzane was on the menu at PE. I had a caesar salad (without croutons) instead.

C4 if you are near me (South Lanarkshire/Glasgow/Edinburgh) and want someone to come and visit then I'd be glad to if you wanted?

Please
or

RedBeanie · 03/06/2017 16:32

I've just eaten two crisps. They were yummy. But I avoided the other carb food so far 😀

MUST BE STRONG!

Please
or

C4pinkwheels · 03/06/2017 16:39

Syrra thank you so much but I'm in the East Midlands, if anyone else wants to come there's an open invite.

Please
or

Cherrypi · 03/06/2017 16:43

We went for pizza express for lunch too I had a starter tapas thing which was yummy - Mozzarella, olives, salami etc. I gave away the flatbread.

Style I'm definitely trying out your iced coffee lollies when our lolly maker is next empty.

Thanks for the cherizena coffee tip someone. Had a lovely delivery from them this morning with three free flavours to try. Banoffee pie coffee here I come.

Please
or

wombattoo · 03/06/2017 17:03

BIWI I hope you've got enough for us lot! The bbq sounds amazing Grin

C4 Well done on swerving the toast. That 'pod' garden seat looks brilliant.

Please
or

JiminnyCricket · 03/06/2017 17:23

Afternoon all Grin

Had a good night, had prawns and chorizo to start and cod in a creamy coconutty sauce for main. It was lush. I had veggies instead of rice which were asparagus, baby corn, broccoli and carrots all roasted so I left the carrots and had a creamy coffee for pudding.

My worst transgression was a gin and slimline tonic and a mojito Blush

Felt a bit sluggish this morning so decided to blow off the cobwebs with a 10k walk. AF decided to show up just after that 10 days early so Im having my usual first day of horrid crampyness... should have seen it coming really, I cried at great British menu on Friday Hmm

The rest of the day will be a lazy at home day so I'm planning steak, asparagus and celeriac rosti for dinner later and I had prawn stir fry for lunch.

Hoping to have lost weight this week, but I tend to stall at the stone + 1 mark every time (started at 19st 1, stalled for 2 weeks at 18st 1, stalled for 3 weeks at 17st 1 Hmm).. I've been at 16st 1 for 2 weeks now so I seem to have a pattern!

The size 16 thing gives me a major boost though, even if the scales aren't moving, my size is which is ace. It's given me a reason to focus less on the scales and more in my actual body.. after all, it's my body that needs to squish into a wedding dress in 10 months!

Please
or

BIWI · 03/06/2017 17:27

Right you lot. Have been catching up on the thread and there are number of things I need to say.

Firstly, it's still only week 2 but there is a lot of cheating and slipping off the wagon.

If you want to lose weight, it's really important that you stick to Bootcamp rules! It's no good giving in to the alcohol or the crisps or chocolate, because it will only sabotage what you've been doing since we started.

With the inevitable consequence that you will gain weight!!!

Please don't do this to yourself. And if you do, don't be surprised when the scales are unkind to you.

Second, there's a lot of talk about calories and checking things on MFP. On Bootcamp there is no need to do this!

I devised Bootcamp as a plan that would be easy to follow - just follow the rules. No need to weigh or count anything. There's no need (at this stage) to worry about calories.

Third, you are important, and your weight loss is equally important. If you get invited to dinner, or you go over to your parents/parents in law, or you go out to dinner - it's entirely your right to swerve the carbs. You don't need to think that you have to do something because you're worried about offending other people. (And, frankly, I've seen that trotted out so many times I know that it's actually an excuse to dive into the carbs).

You don't have to explain what you're doing - you simply avoid the carbs. If you're going to dinner with friends/family, then you tell them that you're on a weight loss programme, and there are certain foods that you can't eat. And tell them what they are. If they question why, just say that it's the particular programme that you're following. They have no right to tell you that you can't do what you need to do!

In restaurants it's actually really easy. You just ask for your steak/fish (whatever) without the potatoes. Or with a salad instead of the vegetables, or whatever. I have never, yet, since I started low carbing back in the early 2000s been refused this option by any restaurant I have ever been to - and I eat out a lot!

If you're worried about other people criticising you for low carbing, then make sure you've read up on it - look at the resources on the spreadsheet - so you can (if you really have to) defend your choices. And if they rubbish them - well that's their problem, isn't it?

OP posts:
Please
or

JiminnyCricket · 03/06/2017 17:28

Whoops, I realise whenever I mention the dog I'm required by boot camp law to post a photo of the beasts.. here they are on our walk earlier refusing to move because they found a sculpture shaped like a giant armchair.. Hmm

Please
or

ilovecherries · 03/06/2017 17:38

We've been working in the garden all day. As we were putting the tools away, my husband suddenly looked at the garden and said 'wouldn't it have been nice to sit out on the patio for a couple of hours with a bottle of prosecco?' I agreed it would have been. We nodded sadly at each other and cracked open a big bottle of posh water. (We're half way through an alcohol free year we started on xmas day so it's not boot camp deprivation). All I can say is thank goodness we didn't decide on a screen free year...

Please
or

WaaWaaWaaa · 03/06/2017 17:38

Awwwww bum. I've thrown my cream out as it went funny.... Dya think I could use sour cream for the carbonara recipe?

Please
or

timeforheroes · 03/06/2017 17:42

Just chucked together prawns, courghetti, broccoli with a lemon and cream sauce. It was really, really good! Ate it whilst DH and DC had pizza...I attribute my entire pregnancy (and new mum) weight gain to my love of pizza!

Please
or

C4pinkwheels · 03/06/2017 17:46

BIWI that was more whip than stick, so glad that toast stayed in my head

Please
or

wombattoo · 03/06/2017 17:49

Grin @C4

Please
or

BIWI · 03/06/2017 17:53

I do have to crack the whip when the stick seems to lose its effect, @C4pinkwheels Grin

(But also very glad that you didn't have that toast. You, more than anyone else on this thread would have had good reason to succumb, but ultimately the effect on you would have just been the same, no matter how deserving you might be Flowers)

OP posts:
Please
or

Cookingongas · 03/06/2017 17:57

Jiminy- 10k! You'd never get that out of my lazy loaf here - Grin

Please
or

Sunborn · 03/06/2017 17:58

Finding staying away from the carbs hard today. Staved off another total collapse with a chunk of cheese, and a teaspoon of olive tapenade.

Feel much, much better for it.

Please
or

HemanOrSheRa · 03/06/2017 18:05

Sound the trumpets - I have just completed week 1/run 1 of C25K on my treadmill! It wasn't as bad as I thought. I really think losing some of my 'top belly' helped. My posture is so much better - no lower back ache at all Smile.

I am in awe of you walking 10k Jimminy. I did a 10 mile charity walk a few years ago - it was hard. Your dog's are gorgeous - delicious faces and squishy feet!

Please
or

BIWI · 03/06/2017 18:09

Brilliant Heman! Star

OP posts:
Please
or

Naschkatze · 03/06/2017 18:12

Also finding it hard today... I've lost the initial enthusiasm. But I've stuck to it today, despite eating a lot.

B - Yoghurt, touch of cream, 5 strawberries chopped up tiny to make them go further!
L - Picnic again. LOTS of cured meat, cheese, cucumber, egg muffins, olives. A piece of watermelon (really quite carby for something so watery but I didn't realise until I checked at home.) I seem to be able to graze indefinitely... But I did avoid the crisps, cakes, hummus etc.
D - if we decide we are hungry, will be a baked chicken breast, garlic/cheesy mushrooms and spinach.

I read some articles on diet doctor about low carb and breastfeeding which worried me a little so I'm trying to get to around 50g carbs a day (roughly keeping track on Nutracheck.) I'm starting to think that means it just won't work because I'm eating too many carbs for this WOE.
Surely just cutting the sugar and crappy food will make a difference though right?!

Please
or

BIWI · 03/06/2017 18:18

Naschkatze - how many times do I have to say this to you?! You are breastfeeding - you need to eat the food! Grin

Please, please, please be sensible about this.

Stop counting the carbs, but focus on getting plenty of fat, and eating lots of veg and salad. Of course this will be better than a diet full of carbs and processed food.

What was it about the articles that worried you? Perhaps we can reassure you?

OP posts:
Please
or

Naschkatze · 03/06/2017 18:29

I know! And I am eating a lot, portion wise! I think a decent amount of fat too. Butter with all veg, oil or mayo with salad.

It recommended at least 50g carbs/day as 'you lose sugar via breast milk and this can lead to ketoacidosis'
Now I have no science/medical/nutrition background so I don't know much of this to believe or worry about.
Here is the page:
www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/when-breastfeeding

Please
or

MOIST · 03/06/2017 18:31

Evening. I have been shopping. I need an outfit for a swanky work doo in a few weeks. Nothing fits properly. Either too baggy or too tight. Or too bright. It was hideous. I found a nice top but it's a bit smug so this will be my motivation. I need it to look fabulous in 4 weeks time. Or I'll need to buy a bigger one. Grin

Anyway

B. Cream coffee
L. Completely forgot to eat lunch!
S. Celery and cheese
D. Will he halloumi and salad.

I want wine but am resisting.

Please
or

styledilemma · 03/06/2017 18:36

Dinner was a huge, delicious sirloin steak, cooked in garlic butter, salt & pepper,, medium rare, with a side of fried mushrooms, half a tomato and a small salad.
For once I am happily stuffed Smile

I've had an urge for snacks today, I think my mouth wants something carby to crunch, but I haven't given in.

Please
or

TheWayOfTheWorld · 03/06/2017 18:44

OMG, just been making chocolate chip cookies with the DC - had to use every ounce of willpower not to eat the mix or clean the bowl like I usually do.

B: 2 rashers of bacon, 1 egg, mushrooms and tomatoes cooked in butter, with a creamy coffee
L: didn't really happen as was out most of day with the DC. Have had some brie, olives, tomatoes and thick cream...
D: TBC. But will be within the guidelines.

Please
or

GoodBadOrIndifferent · 03/06/2017 18:51

Naschkatze I read about this a while ago as i was first flirting with the idea of low carb while breastfeeding. The case it refers to is a Swedish mother who developed severe ketoacidosis while breastfeeding. Reading around it she wasn't eating much of anything at all, it's very rare for a non diabetic, non alcoholic to become ketoacidotic.
Yes you need too eat more but the condition it's talking about is really rare.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?