Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

News

Scarlett Keeling

147 replies

lemonstartree · 11/03/2008 11:20

Anyone else give a litle gasp of horror when it was revealed that Scarlett was left by her mother, for 'several weeks' in Goa whilst mum went off with her new boyfriend and 5 of her 8 children ????

Am amazed no one else has posted this given the outcry wrt the McCanns!

OP posts:
sleepycat · 11/03/2008 11:21

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MaryAnnSingleton · 11/03/2008 11:22

yep, is a bit different

FluffyMummy123 · 11/03/2008 11:22

Message withdrawn

bundle · 11/03/2008 11:23

it's been discussed on mn already

avenanap · 11/03/2008 11:26

I think someone alrady has but the poster has had several mnetters telling her how insensitive she was!

It's irrelevant whether she was left or not, she was a very beautiful, loved child who is no longer here. The death of a child is very sad for all concerned and I know that my thoughts are with her family at this very tragic time. I don't think that threads like this are helpful to anyone, see the bigger picture, it's not anyone's place to criticise someone's parenting or choices, especially not in circumstances such as these when the life of a child has been taken in such an evil way. The pain that her family must be going through must be like hell. Suport is what is needed, not criticism.

noddyholder · 11/03/2008 11:26

She seems totally irresponsible and still more concerned with her own life than her kids.Have met many like her while travelling who leave tehir kids willy nilly Age is irrelevant imho a child is a child

lemonstartree · 11/03/2008 11:27

I dont think it is that differrent ; IN fact if anything leaving a 15 year old alone for WEEKS, in a place notorious for drugs, alcohol and partying seems to me MUCH more reprehensible that leavibg a 3 year old asleep in her bed for a couple of hours. Ho hum.....

OP posts:
wannaBe · 11/03/2008 11:34

I don't see how it's different. she was out at a bar until 4 in the morning. and her mother was ... where?

she'd been left on her own! at 15! What happened to her is absolutely tragic but there is no question that her mother left a young vulnerable girl on her own in a part of a foreign country that is notorious for drugs and crime while she headed off hundreds of miles away.

lemonstartree · 11/03/2008 11:43

the death of a child is indeed a tragedy; and the resposnibility lies with the murderer in this case. However, whith 'better' parenting and a more responsible attitude Scarlett would never have been there in the first place, And that IS her mothers fault.

OP posts:
marmadukescarlet · 11/03/2008 11:45

I travelled around S.India inc Goa when I was v early 20's, it is not somewhere I would leave an unaccompanied child.

(Although I felt much safer there than in some of the parts of Africa I visited)

Piffle · 11/03/2008 11:50

left in the care of scarletts local boyfriends family.. Well you can all be thankful now that Goan police are to investigate her for neglect.
This is India. A country which has 11 million child workers.

Ironic indeed...

hindsight yes foolish to leave her. One can observe that the kids were not bound by a lifestyle most of us relate to. So one can only assume scarletts mother presumed her to be safe.
Nothing changes the fact that she was raped and killed.
All this other stuff just detracts from the police investigation which seems woeful and ludicrous.

NAB3wishesfor2008 · 11/03/2008 12:04

This has been done.

A mother has lost her child.

Just leave it.

Flibbertyjibbet · 11/03/2008 12:08

exactly, Nab.

nametaken · 11/03/2008 12:18

It was me who originally posted on this subject.

At first I was appauled by Scarletts mother but after watching her on the news I now have nothing but admiration for her. She has stood up to all the authorities over there and demanded that they do something and even now she suspects that they have arrested the wrong man and is not afraid to say so.

If you think about it, she could easily have stayed with Scarlett in Goa and Scarlett could have just gone out with her friends in Goa one night and have the same thing happen to her so in that sense I feel bad that I was so critical towards towards the mother.

She must have very good and strong instincts because she knew for sure her daughter hadn't drown.

I pray they catch the animal(s) that did this.

lemonstartree · 11/03/2008 13:08

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

NAB3wishesfor2008 · 11/03/2008 13:19

I just wonder why people have to make comments about another persons parenting.

Obviously the mother wouldn't have left her daughter if she thought anything terrible was going to happen.

Saying it isn't something you would do just kicks someone when they are down and only serves to make yourself feel better.

A child has lost her life before it has barely begun and died terrified.

A mother has lost her child and has to live the rest of her life without her and no doubt with lots of if onlys.

jesuswhatnext · 11/03/2008 14:13

hear hear nab!

hindsight is a wonderful thing!

kerala · 11/03/2008 14:13

Goa is a confusing place. Having had a holiday there I can understand that a relaxed hippyish loving mother may have felt it was safe to leave the daughter for a few days. It comes across as relaxed and everyone is chilled out and pleasant.

However there is a real dark side there, as men from all over India go there on stag parties to look at the western women in bikinis. Some of them have very odd ideas about western women. I had one of the most terrifying experiences of my life there. I was on my own in my hotel room doing some last minute packing before our very early flight. It was 4.30am and I must have not closed the curtains properly so was visible from the main path to the beach. It was utterly deserted as you would expect at that time. A group of 10 Indian men must have seen me in our room as I hadnt closed the curtains properly. They walked down the deserted path to our villa and up the steps to my room and banged on the door shouting. I had to push against the door to keep them out. There was literally no one around but me and them. I was sick with fear as to what they wanted to do. When my friend finally got back I was literally gibbering with fear as to what might have been and I was very glad to catch our flight home.

hecate · 11/03/2008 14:19

I've just read she is to be investigated for neglect. I think it is all very sad. I think she made an error of judgement, certainly, but by god she's paid a high price for it. As has the daughter. At the time, she made a choice thinking that she'd left her daughter with someone who'd keep an eye on her. It wasn't enough but we all have 20/20 hindsight. and 15 - nearly 16 - at 16 you can have a baby! get married!! It's not like she left a 3 yr old alone. It's tragic.

belgo · 11/03/2008 14:21

yes, I think the mother has suffered enough. It just seems as though she was rather naïve and idealistic.

chelsygirl · 11/03/2008 18:19

rather naïve and idealistic. ???????????????

you're joking surely

this was child neglect

Piffle · 11/03/2008 20:49

arranging for your teen to stay with friends you trust while you take the younger kids on a road trip is neglect?
best you send the cops round mine too then!
why oh why is there such a will to judge parents who have had children murdered or abducted?
its sick beyond sick.

loobylooby · 11/03/2008 20:57

My understanding was that the mother let Scarlett stay with her boyfriend (a 25 year old local guide) whilst she, her partner and 6 other children resided in a town some way away, not that she was left with friends you trust. Naive at best.

Piffle · 11/03/2008 21:02

earlier on interview with media. Her mother offered up more explanation. It was more reasonable I think.

FAQ · 11/03/2008 21:07

how many MN'ers have teenager girls who've been to sleepovers at friend's homes??

How well do they REALLY know the host parents/family??

I should imagine given that this family went to Goa in November that they probably "knew" the guide and his family better than we may know parents we see daily at the school gate.....

Very tragic.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.