Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Day 2 PCR tests

80 replies

kitz90 · 21/08/2021 21:03

I'm just back from hols in Mallorca having been out there with my husband and 3 kids (all between 5 & 10 years old).

The PLF to return to the UK didn't ask for day 2 PCR codes for the children, it only asked for codes for the adults.

I'm now doubting whether I needed to spend almost £150 on day 2 tests for the kids and whether I need to use them. Me and the hubby will obviously do ours. I just wondered what other peoples experiences were?

OP posts:
Please
or

ArabellaPilkington · 22/08/2021 07:35

Yep I was pissed off to discover DC on the same PLF don't need a booking ref no for Day 2 PCRs.

No one checks.

We dutifully did ours Monday. DH and I got results Tuesday, one DC had theirs Weds and the other DC Thursday.

But no one is checking.

Please
or

kitz90 · 22/08/2021 08:07

What a nonsense this is..... I wonder if things will change under the next travel review but I assume not.

OP posts:
Please
or

towdenbursgi · 22/08/2021 10:53

Interesting. So I don't have to order a day 2 pcr for my 17 and 14 year old in practice?Confused

Please
or

fightingirish · 22/08/2021 10:54

I didn't, no one checked, such a waste of money had I have got them,

Please
or

kitz90 · 22/08/2021 11:36

@towdenbursgi

Interesting. So I don't have to order a day 2 pcr for my 17 and 14 year old in practice?Confused

It would be good if someone with children between ages 12 and 17 could comment in case the situation is different with older children but the PLF for return to the UK asked 2 questions.

The first was 'Are you travelling to the UK with anyone under 18' so I answered yes.

The second was 'is the person you are including 12 to 17 years old,
or 12 to 15 years old if you are entering Scotland?'

I answered no to the second question as my kids are between 5 and 10 years old and there was no option to then put PCR booking reference numbers/codes in. Of course it could be different if I'd answered yes and maybe that would have triggered request of a code....

My mind is blown.
OP posts:
Please
or

tedsletterofthelaw · 22/08/2021 11:38

It's a total scam.

Nobody checks, and by the time you get your results, if positive you could have potentially been spreading covid for 5 days so what is the actual point?

Boils my piss.

Please
or

Wizzbangfizz · 22/08/2021 21:34

After reading one of other threads I decided just to get them for DH and I - total money making scam!

Please
or

User657849 · 22/08/2021 22:33

Last time I flew back into the UK was in February and they asked us to show the PCR booking at Heathrow.

They were very thorough opening up the email and checking everything.

So I take it they don’t do that anymore?

Please
or

Moonshine86 · 22/08/2021 22:35

Could you sell the tests and reference number?

Please
or

SnotandBothered · 22/08/2021 22:35

Complete scam and waste of money.

All they care about is that you enter a code on the passenger locator form. After that, they end up in a massive bin with 10000000 other tests potentially getting cross contaminated for a week. Utter nonsense.

Please
or

towdenbursgi · 23/08/2021 09:15

Well I haven't been able to access the plf for 24 hours so it looks like I won't be entering my day 2 pcr tests (which I haven't ordered for anyone yet) anywhere unless it changes. What a farce!

Please
or

blueberrywaffle · 23/08/2021 09:51

I ordered myself a day 8 wnd my ds a day 2

Husband had a day 2 test that never even arrived but was never asked for the result
Son was never asked for the result so still boxed up in my kitchen and my day 8 never arrived so NHS sent me one to do through them so saved £90 on the day 8 test 🙄
Don't waste your money. If they ring and ask. Say you booked via chronomics and they havnt sent the pack out an you can't get in touch. Their the worst company ever and think NHS know this !

Please
or

Clymene · 23/08/2021 09:53

I suppose they could check but yes, they only ask you for the code for one test.

Please
or

Moonshine86 · 23/08/2021 10:15

If I were going away I would purchase them from you… I should imagine somebody would? When I spoke to Randox they informed me that as my mother wasn’t travelling she could use the test at a later date or ‘gift’ it to somebody else? It’s the reference number you pay for so people can complete the necessary paperwork

Please
or

blueberrywaffle · 23/08/2021 10:53

I also have a fit to fly testing kit that never got used as they country I was flying to required a 48 hour test (have to go a clinic) not the PCR fit to fly at home !
Big waste of money and it is a scam IMO

Please
or

towdenbursgi · 24/08/2021 09:23

Can anyone recommend a place to buy the pointless day 2 tests from online? Tried a few cheapo places and doesn't seem to work Hmm

Please
or

ButYouGottaHaveASkillJeff · 24/08/2021 09:26

I have a day 2 test that I used the ref number but didn't use the test. It's still in it's box.

I wonder if I could chance it and use it again on the locator form as I'm away next week 🤔

Please
or

ButYouGottaHaveASkillJeff · 24/08/2021 09:27

@towdenbursgi

Can anyone recommend a place to buy the pointless day 2 tests from online? Tried a few cheapo places and doesn't seem to work Hmm

The cheapest I got was Randox, and there's usually a £5 off code online. Or there was last month.
Please
or

blueberrywaffle · 24/08/2021 12:13

I found euro fish was the cheapest for test. The day 2 test was £55!!!! Others were around £90....

Please
or

EileenGC · 24/08/2021 12:23

NWP are £40, I had a great experience with them. Someone was reporting a slight delay in receiving the email confirmation but they have amazing reviews online and my experience with them was flawless. I believe they’re one of the cheapest options out there.

Oncologica are also good but they’re £55 a piece.

Please
or

ArabellaPilkington · 24/08/2021 17:12

Also used NWP for Day 2 test £40pp

Ordered online in Crete Friday - were at home waiting for us Sunday
Posted back via Royal Mail priority postbox (there are zillions) Monday
Results Tuesday/Wednesday

Please
or

towdenbursgi · 25/08/2021 20:02

Just arrived home. No checks except passports at all so total waste of time, obedience and money!

Please
or

Rollergirl11 · 25/08/2021 21:01

Can someone help me with the Passenger locator form? Do DH and I have to fill out separate forms? I entered information for my two teens but there was nowhere for me to enter DH so he has just created his own. Is that what others have done?

Bye, for the person asking unthread if you answer yes to minors between the age of 12 to 18 it still doesn’t ask you for their Day 2 test code. So it is only required for the adults.

Please
or

mineofuselessinformation · 25/08/2021 21:13

I walked through Stansted airport and there were literally no staff to be seen. I scanned my passport myself, no-one in customs either.
I did my 2 day test (which was negative). I've heard nothing since.

Please
or

bestbefore · 25/08/2021 21:13

@Rollergirl11 yep each adult needs own form. Annoying!!!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?