Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Portugal

81 replies

Alfaix · 08/05/2021 06:04

Who’s going?

OP posts:
Please
or

Alfaix · 08/05/2021 13:21

BTW not a journalist- booked an apartment in July in Carveiro and getting excited!

OP posts:
Please
or

astuz · 08/05/2021 13:29

If you are travelling from the UK you can only enter for essential purposes, such as to live with immediate family members, or for professional, educational, health or humanitarian reasons.

I've just taken that quote straight from the gov.uk webpage for Portugal. I can't work out why people are thinking we can book holidays to Portugal? Is the Portuguese government going to change their stance soon or something? I've searched the internet and can't find anything to say that they are.

Please
or

Oblomov21 · 08/05/2021 13:34

Because yesterday in the new announcement of which Countries were green amber and red, Portugal was one of the few listed as a green.

Please
or

Oblomov21 · 08/05/2021 13:34

We are booked to go to Lisbon beginning Oct.

Please
or

Eggyhead81 · 08/05/2021 13:36

@astuz

If you are travelling from the UK you can only enter for essential purposes, such as to live with immediate family members, or for professional, educational, health or humanitarian reasons.

I've just taken that quote straight from the gov.uk webpage for Portugal. I can't work out why people are thinking we can book holidays to Portugal? Is the Portuguese government going to change their stance soon or something? I've searched the internet and can't find anything to say that they are.

Because it’s not the 17th May yet!
Please
or

StarcourtMall · 08/05/2021 13:38

The Portuguese tourism ambassador (or whatever she’s called) has been on at least 3 news programmes I’ve seen in the last week saying that Portugal will be welcoming UK tourists soon, so I expect you’ll be fine going there this summer. She was on the Newscast podcast a few days ago if anyone wants to look it up for reassurance.

Please
or

HarveySchlumpfenburger · 08/05/2021 13:40

@Oblomov21

Because yesterday in the new announcement of which Countries were green amber and red, Portugal was one of the few listed as a green.

Didn’t they also say you should check the entry requirements for the country you are going to?

Hopefully anybody booking has also booked extremely good travel insurance.
Please
or

Fuckingcrustybread · 08/05/2021 13:40

Portugal may be on the green list for the U.K. but the U.K. isn't on the green list for Portugal...yet

Please
or

Mixitupalot · 08/05/2021 13:42

Honestly no, all
I envisage is beaches packed with ppl who can’t get to Benidorm.

Please
or

Hettylala · 08/05/2021 13:47

We're going at the beginning of October. Postponed from last October to this May, then pushed forward again. Provided the PCR tests don't cost an arm and a leg then we shall be going.

Please
or

FizzyPink · 08/05/2021 13:48

We booked yesterday morning, just a short break for July. Price had gone up by £100 by 5.30

Please
or
Please
or

Fuckingcrustybread · 08/05/2021 13:56

[quote StarcourtMall]travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/portugals-tourism-minister-confident-of-making-uks-green-list[/quote]
That doesn't mean anything. Portugal is not open to the U.K. yet, I expect that it will be open fairly soon, no announcement has been made.

Please
or

astuz · 08/05/2021 14:10

@Eggyhead81

You're missing my point. Gov.uk does say that for Portugal the UK government will allow travel TO Portugal, BUT it also says that the Portuguese government is not allowing anyone from the UK IN.

You always have to check 2 things - whether the country you are travelling FROM will let you in to that country, and whether the government of the country you are travelling TO will let you in.

As PP have said, I assume there must be leaks to the effect that the Portuguese government are going to allow UK leisure travellers in, but nothing concrete has yet been stated on the official websites. Tempting though it is, I wouldn't book until the official website says that Portugal are going to let us in.

Please
or

Egghead81 · 08/05/2021 17:44

[quote YXN0dXpdKipAEggyhead81**

You're missing my point. Gov.uk does say that for Portugal the UK government will allow travel TO Portugal, BUT it also says that the Portuguese government is not allowing anyone from the UK IN.

You always have to check 2 things - whether the country you are travelling FROM will let you in to that country, and whether the government of the country you are travelling TO will let you in.

As PP have said, I assume there must be leaks to the effect that the Portuguese government are going to allow UK leisure travellers in, but nothing concrete has yet been stated on the official websites. Tempting though it is, I wouldn't book until the official website says that Portugal are going to let us in.[/quote]
Portugal’s tourism minister says she believes the country has as good a chance as any to be on the UK’s green list when it is announced later this week.

Portugal is bloody desperate for Uk tourists!

Check our change in gov advise on may 17th

travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/portugals-tourism-minister-confident-of-making-uks-green-list

All advise today obviously must remain the same as lockdown.

Please
or

ineedaholidaynow · 08/05/2021 17:47

Missing the point slightly but love Carvoeiro

Please
or

Butterflyfluff · 08/05/2021 18:51

I’m can’t wait to go on holiday again but there’s no way I’m going to Portugal whilst it is the only real option the English have - I imagine it’ll be hideous because of that

Please
or

Fuckingcrustybread · 08/05/2021 19:11

@Eggyhead81
The advice from the UK Government means absolutely fuck all to Portugal, tell yourself as much as you like that Portugal is desperate for tourists. Listen to the woman saying that Portugal has the green light. BUT until the Portuguese Government decide to relax the border controls you won't be able to enter the country. All non essential travel is banned here. The state of Emergency has been lifted but until the President or Prime Minister makes an announcement travel is BANNED.

Please
or

Oblomov21 · 08/05/2021 19:13

Ok. So when do you think Portugal might make an announcement? May 17, June 21? Soon?

Please
or

Egghead81 · 08/05/2021 19:23

[quote Fuckingcrustybread]@Eggyhead81
The advice from the UK Government means absolutely fuck all to Portugal, tell yourself as much as you like that Portugal is desperate for tourists. Listen to the woman saying that Portugal has the green light. BUT until the Portuguese Government decide to relax the border controls you won't be able to enter the country. All non essential travel is banned here. The state of Emergency has been lifted but until the President or Prime Minister makes an announcement travel is BANNED.[/quote]
Did you read the articleGrin

The Portuguese gov was willing the UK gov to put them on the green list!

Please
or

AnnieKenney · 08/05/2021 19:27

@Fuckingcrustybread

Oh please. If you've been reading or watching the Portuguese news over the past day or so you''ll know that everyone is delighted at the imminent arrival of UK tourists and an announcement is imminent. Me not so delighted as I know how apalling my fellow citizens can be on holiday and not the tourists Portugal usually attracts but pleased for the tourist industry here. nevertheless.

Please
or

Egghead81 · 08/05/2021 19:29

[quote QW5uaWVLZW5uZXldKipAFuckingcrustybread**

Oh please. If you've been reading or watching the Portuguese news over the past day or so you''ll know that everyone is delighted at the imminent arrival of UK tourists and an announcement is imminent. Me not so delighted as I know how apalling my fellow citizens can be on holiday and not the tourists Portugal usually attracts but pleased for the tourist industry here. nevertheless.[/quote]
So many don’t watch the news or read, but then storm on mumsnet telling definitively. Nonsense .

It’s funny and perturbing

Please
or

Fuckingcrustybread · 08/05/2021 19:31

I'm in Portugal and I know that no announcement has been made yet.

Please
or

Fuckingcrustybread · 08/05/2021 19:36

@Eggyhead81
So many don’t watch the news or read, but then storm on mumsnet telling definitively. Nonsense .

Can't say that I stormed anywhere, you seemed to be saying that as the U.K. government have said its green then it will be. Did you miss last year when British tourists were banned, there was shock and outrage here. The Portuguese government are about as good at the announcements as the U.K..Until Marcelo or Costa make the announcement. I'll just wait thanks.
Meanwhile I'll just storm outside in this 27 degree heat and get into my pool.

Please
or

Egghead81 · 08/05/2021 19:39

[quote Fuckingcrustybread]@Eggyhead81

Can't say that I stormed anywhere, you seemed to be saying that as the U.K. government have said its green then it will be. Did you miss last year when British tourists were banned, there was shock and outrage here. The Portuguese government are about as good at the announcements as the U.K..Until Marcelo or Costa make the announcement. I'll just wait thanks.
Meanwhile I'll just storm outside in this 27 degree heat and get into my pool.[/quote]
You do that.
Better than contributing on mumsnet that’s for sure

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?