Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

I hope Hula's ok?

90 replies

juniper68 · 12/08/2004 17:03

I was gutted when told today about the hurricane in florida and there's another due apparently? I feel bad for Hula and her family and just hope they're ok. Has anyone had a text?

OP posts:
Please
or

mears · 12/08/2004 17:16

Wherabouts is the hurricane exactly?

Please
or

JJ · 12/08/2004 17:26

You can check out the satelllite photos and get more information at weather.com . I sound like an advert, don't I? We were just on the AL Gulf coast (aka Redneck Riveria), so I like to keep up with these things.

Please
or

Chandra · 12/08/2004 17:34

Haven't even heard of the huricane yet but.. as far as I know hurricanes in the area are very common and hotels take good measures to protect their clients, so they must be OK (I hope)

Please
or

hercules · 12/08/2004 17:36

Hope they're okay!

Please
or

JanH · 12/08/2004 17:40

Ooh, it does look dodgy, there is one at the top and another coming in at the bottom - what time was she going? Maybe they'll divert and/or fizzle out...???

Please
or

JanH · 12/08/2004 17:41

This is the current BBC 5-day forecast for Orlando - looks OK (they do change though!)

Please
or

princesspeahead · 12/08/2004 17:50

You do have to be a loony to go to Florida in August though. Apart from the fact that it is hurricane season, it is such unpleasant weather - 100F and 99% humidity...eurgh.

Please
or

juniper68 · 12/08/2004 17:53

Hey PH I just came back so watch it!! Mind you .........

I loved the weather there but not the mozzies (they loved me though )

OP posts:
Please
or

CountessDracula · 12/08/2004 17:55

ROFL PPH!!!

Please
or

princesspeahead · 12/08/2004 18:03

I'm just saying if you go to a hurricane zone in the hurricane season and get a hurricane....?!?!?!?!

Please
or

KateandtheGirls · 12/08/2004 18:09

Hopefully she'll be OK in Orlando. It's pretty far inland (by Florida standards anyway).

Here in Tampa we're battoning down the hatches, and expecting Hurricane Charley to hit tomorrow. Hopefully we'll be OK here away from the gulf, but residents of Pinellas county (along the gulf coast in Tampa Bay) are being ordered to evacuate.

I went out this morning and made sure I had a full tank of gas in the gar, a torch, lots of drinking water, cash, and enough beer and wine for the weekend. I just finished bringing all my patio furniture into the garage.

Tomorrow happens to be my birthday. It looks as though the schools are going to be closed. So I guess there'll be nothing for it but to hunker down with my sil and kids and drink!

Please
or

JanH · 12/08/2004 18:21

Why do they always give hurricanes such matey names? They should be called things like Attila and Beast and Calamity and Disaster and Elephant (and so on). Though I was pleased that Fran turned out to be one of the more violent ones (rather like my own dear DD2).

Glad you got the booze in, Kate - hope you manage to enjoy your birthday!

Please
or

JanH · 12/08/2004 18:23

"Fran slammed into the North Carolina coast east of Cape Fear around 8 p.m."

rather the way she comes into the house sometimes, chortle.

(Sorry. Will shut up now.)

Please
or

popsycal · 12/08/2004 19:28

i will text her now.....

Please
or

princesspeahead · 12/08/2004 19:29

happy birthday Kate! Come back and tell us about it when your roof is back on LOL

Please
or

Tinker · 12/08/2004 19:38

Always wondered this - what does 99% humidty mean exactly? Surely 100% humidity is water?

Please
or

princesspeahead · 12/08/2004 19:56

yes. with 99% humidity you have to sort of suck the oxygen out of the air. it is rather like the early stages of an asthma attack if you have any experience of that. And you are also sticky with sweat all the time. And completely enervated. So you go into a shop to recover, which has been airconditioned to a leaf-dry 65F, which gives you (a) a cold and (b) and enormous shock when you go outside into the steam again, because it feels even worse than before.

I'm such a fan of Florida in August as you can tell!

Please
or

Flip · 12/08/2004 20:02

Oh Janh, that's not fair. Fran was lovely when I met her on our rainy meetup in Macclesfield. Is she coming to the summer party in Somerset? No hurricanes forcasted for then, I hope!

Kateandthegirls - fancy a house swap? We live in a dreary end of terrace three (hopefully soon to be five) bedroom house near Manchester, England. A little thing like a hurricane wouldn't put me off and I'd bring your garden furniture in for you!!!

Please
or

JanH · 12/08/2004 20:08

Aw, Flip, you are sweet!

She was on her very best behaviour that day - she is generally either lovely or foul (hence the hurricane comparison) - no middle ground to speak of! She's not coming next week I'm afraid.

Please
or

sunchowder · 12/08/2004 20:41

Hello from Hurricane alley....Charlie is coming tomorrow. Got the batteries, water and beer and waiting for DH to come home to do that patio furniture.

The weather has been shit for Hula hasn't it? We have some other frineds from the UK that are here and suffering with the weather also. They are supposed to come over on Saturday after it blows over. If Hula needs anything I am right down the road. Contact me via Mumsnet with her number if she is in a rough spot.

The weather is horrible in August as PPH has stated so eloquently!!

Please
or

Flip · 12/08/2004 20:45

Janh - does that mean that Fran is having a house party while you are gone?

I remember my teen days of parties the second the oldies left. Although I did end up in hospital after one excellent party.

Please
or

Demented · 12/08/2004 22:40

Hope all you Mumsnetters out there are OK over the next few days and also hope that it's not spoiling Hula's holiday.

Please
or

dottee · 12/08/2004 22:52

They should be getting there anytime now. She said she'd be logging on sometime when she's over there so fingers crossed everything's OK. It was bloomin' hot on the meet-up last week so they'll be used to it!

Please
or

KateandtheGirls · 12/08/2004 23:09

Well if it's any comfort, my neighbor is at this moment driving to Orlando to stay with friends there because they figure it will be safer in Orlando than in Tampa. (That doesn't mean, of course, that Hula won't get lots of rain and wind to spoil her holiday.)

Please
or

juniper68 · 12/08/2004 23:12

glad she's ok, give her our love whoever texts her next xx

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?