Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

So who the hell is in charge of Butlins then?

82 replies

twogorgeousboys · 20/07/2004 10:37

I need to write a very strong letter to the Chief Exexutive of Butlins, but having real trouble finding out who that is.

Whenever I ask for help on Mumsnet, someone comes to the rescue - can anyone enlighten me?

OP posts:
Please
or

Northerner · 20/07/2004 11:01

Had a quick look on their website but it doesn't give his name. Ring their customer services on 0870 2422002, they'll tell you.

Good luck!

Please
or

unicorn · 20/07/2004 11:02

2gb- why what happened?

Please
or

gothicmama · 20/07/2004 11:05

I am nit sure but I think there are different CE 's depending on where you wen t I recall reading something in Sunday Times busineess section a couple of weeks ago - maybe check that as it gives names

Please
or

lemonice · 20/07/2004 11:17

There are a few names in this article

Please
or

twogorgeousboys · 20/07/2004 11:39

Thanks - hopefully I'll find the person at the top. They seem to have had a lot of boardroom shuffles which has made it really hard to find out who is in charge.

Unicorn - drugs were left by a previous occupant of the room I was staying in which my 1 year old found.

It happened a couple of weeks ago and as well as demanding a refund (which I got) I also asked for a written apology. Haven't heard anything and I'm not going to let this one go.

OP posts:
Please
or

unicorn · 20/07/2004 11:41

2gb- that is a news story - call the papers and sell it.. ( it is also a very good way of getting a response from Butlins)

Please
or

hercules · 20/07/2004 11:44

Surely it is simply down to whoever cleaned the room between occupants? I cant see how Butlins can police what goes on in the rooms but they can ensure they are thoroughly checked and cleaned. Can't see how it is a news story.
Yes, you should have got a refund but I cant see how it is Butlins fault that there were drugs there apart from lack of cleaning.

Please
or

CountessDracula · 20/07/2004 11:45

NO! It is their responsibility to clean the room and so it is their fault.

I mean if you went in and there was poo smeared all over the place you would blame them for not cleaning it wouldn't you?

Please
or

unicorn · 20/07/2004 11:46

you can't see that a family run business has responsibility to maintain itself as such..
of course it is there responsibility- who's else would it be!
Butlins prides itself on being a family holiday place- well I think I would think twice if i knew they were that careless.

Please
or

hercules · 20/07/2004 11:46

Yes, of course but that is down to the cleaner - ie an individual being lazy not anyone else.

Please
or

hercules · 20/07/2004 11:47

But it is not the whole of butlins just a slack cleaner.

Please
or

hercules · 20/07/2004 11:47

I cant see how a cleaner being lazy would make news?

Please
or

twogorgeousboys · 20/07/2004 11:48

Northerner, did speak to their customer services, but would only give me the name of the site manager. As I think it was him who COMPLETELY ignored me when I was clearly in distress, that's one of the reasons I want to "go to the top".

Unicorn, other people have said that, but its not my style really.

OP posts:
Please
or

unicorn · 20/07/2004 11:48

plus when drugs were found at that trendy place in London by sadie whatserface child... that was a story... Of course it is a story- its summer holiday time too.

Please
or

unicorn · 20/07/2004 11:49

Well 2gb- I think it is a duty - warn others about the lax cleaning etc... best way is via the media (and MN) Whether u like them or not!

Please
or

hercules · 20/07/2004 11:50

Drugs are everywhere. In parks, schools etc. I'm quite sure that it is not a one off incident but goes on regularily but it gets cleaned up.

Please
or

tamum · 20/07/2004 11:51

I agree it's a story. You can't just let the buck stop with one cleaner or no company would ever have to be responsible for anything, and that would be ludicrous!

Please
or

hercules · 20/07/2004 11:51

But we're talking about one cleaner! If the person who cleans my room at school didnt do a good job I wouldnt then say all cleaners in schools are crap. It just so happens that it was drugs that wasnt cleaned away. If it was a crisp packet would that make the news?

Please
or

twogorgeousboys · 20/07/2004 11:52

I do think I deserve a written apology as well the refund..

The Bognor Banner might run it, not sure about anyone else.

OP posts:
Please
or

hercules · 20/07/2004 11:53

So, a cleaner doesnt clean a room properly and this is meant to be headline news?
There are lots of drug dealings going on in childrens parks and this doesnt make headlines as it's so common.

Please
or

unicorn · 20/07/2004 11:53

you would be surprised.. it is summertime etc...
get aloha on to the case!!

Please
or

ks · 20/07/2004 11:54

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Please
or

unicorn · 20/07/2004 11:54

no but this is Butlins- a family institution that makes money from parents with children.. it is their duty to take more care.

Please
or

hercules · 20/07/2004 11:55

I can understand it would be news if Butlins had allowed drugs to be used on their premises - (well they do as nicotine is a drug.)

Please
or

twogorgeousboys · 20/07/2004 11:57

By the way, it wasn't banned substances, somebody's heart medication - still not good if my little poppet had taken any.

I don't think this is something that should be swept under the carpet (ho ho) - the paediatrician at the hospital said I should complain at the highest level, which is what I've been attempting to do.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?