Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Medicine 2022 - The final furlong

Monkey2001 · 06/06/2022 19:11

Support thread for aspiring medics.

We want all our DCs to succeed, whatever their school type. We share knowledge to help them to achieve their goals, celebrate success and support if things don't go well.

Offers are in for some, others on waiting lists, others doing their A levels and planning a gap year.

Best of luck everyone for great results on 18th August, we will be here to celebrate, commiserate, advise and generally support you for the last stage of the 2022 journey. ๐Ÿ€

Previous thread - www.mumsnet.com/talk/higher_education/4464984-Medicine-2022-Decision-time

2023 applicant thread - www.mumsnet.com/Talk/higher_education/4459778-Medicine-2023-Entry

OP's posts:
Please
or

mumsneedwine · 06/06/2022 19:22

๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š my fingers are firmly crossed for mini @Monkey2001.

Please
or

Monkey2001 · 06/06/2022 19:26

mumsneedwine · 06/06/2022 19:22

๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š my fingers are firmly crossed for mini @Monkey2001.

Thanks, but goodness you are on the ball! I set this thread up because the last one is nearly finished, was not expecting to see any action yet!

OP's posts:
Please
or

mumsneedwine · 06/06/2022 19:30

@Monkey2001 ๐Ÿ˜‚ supposed to be marking.

Please
or

HoneyMobster · 06/06/2022 21:40

Checking in. Shall we do a roll call?

DD has firmed Oxford and insured with Leeds. She's IB so will get her results within a month ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Please
or

Monkey2001 · 06/06/2022 23:19

HoneyMobster · 06/06/2022 21:40

Checking in. Shall we do a roll call?

DD has firmed Oxford and insured with Leeds. She's IB so will get her results within a month ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Another mumsnet expert finding the thread early! Great idea for people to give a status update.

DS still on Newcastle waiting list, but think he is quite low on the list so preparing for a gap year. He has found a great job to apply for - September to March 3 days/week in local hospital, so working on that alongside A levels.

OP's posts:
Please
or

jenthehen · 06/06/2022 23:22

Place marking to see how things pan out. No offers โ€ฆ.but still interested to see how everyone else gets on. Wishing them all the best of luck.

Please
or

coffeeandbiscuittime · 07/06/2022 02:10

Thanks @Monkey2001for the new thread. I am still interested in how all the other kids are doing and keeping fingers crossed for all those on the waiting lists ,DD focusing on her A levels now and will reapply in October.

Please
or

mubarak86 · 07/06/2022 05:12

Gap year here, congrats to all of those with offers. Hanging around here for the wealth of knowledge that will undoubtedly help for next cycle.

Please
or

HoneyMobster · 07/06/2022 07:26

You're very kind @Monkey2001 but I'm an amateur at this lark! Good news about the possible hospital job for your DS.

DD says she thinks there will be a reading list released after results. Is that an Oxford thing or do other medical schools do that as well?

Please
or

sergeantmajormum · 07/06/2022 07:48

It really is a marathon not a sprint, for you all as well as DC! DD just coming to end of 3rd year at Liverpool so if anyone has firmed there, feel free to ask any questions. She is having a great time but boy, the workload has ramped up. @HoneyMobster she certainly didnโ€™t have a reading list before starting, but then itโ€™s very different course to Oxford. Good luck to you all and your DC!

Please
or

olafolaf · 07/06/2022 08:01

Thanks for starting this new thread! DD on waiting list for HYMS, also applying for HCA jobs in event of gap year (looking highly likely now....)

Please
or

Scoobyblue · 07/06/2022 10:46

My dd is doing medicine at Oxford. She didn't have a reading list before starting nor did her friends at several other colleges but these things do vary by college so couldn't say for sure for your dd.

Please
or

MidLifeCrisis007 · 07/06/2022 12:18

DD is off to Exeter and can't wait to start there in September. The fact that Exeter med students can get free passes to Boardmasters in return for being first aiders is the icing on the cake....

Meanwhile best of luck to all the A level students over the next 3 weeks.... There will be a lot anxious kids out there right now ahead of Maths this afternoon! DD is doing Maths (Edexcel), Chemistry (Edexcel), Physics (AQA) and Biology (OCR) A levels.

Please
or

NoNotHimTheOtherOne · 07/06/2022 12:23

My medical school definitely doesn't provide reading lists. In fact, if students ask we explicitly tell them not to buy any books until they have started the course and can work out whether they actually need them. Most of what they need to learn is covered in books that are available free online through the university library, and it is often better for them to watch some videos on the web before they start trying to understand detailed explanations in textbooks.

Some subjects - especially anatomy - will have web or other electronic resources that are highly recommended, and some universities will have produced their own. For some subjects - most notably physiology - different books suit different students' learning styles and it doesn't make sense to buy a book you're going to struggle to understand if there's another one that suits you much better. When I ask students which textbook they use for physiology, those who use textbooks at all usually say Guyton & Hall. Personally, I find this book completely unreadable but many other people find it the best available.

If a student waiting to start a medicine course asks me for recommended reading, I will always tell them to read stuff like the NHS Constitution, the GMC's Duties of a Doctor and Good Medical Practice, as well as the specific guidance for medical students. Also, students who have never studied psychology or sociology are likely to find it very useful to read some introductory stuff on these subjects, as medical students are often taken by surprise at how much behavioural & social science they have to learn (even though it should be obvious you need to learn these to be a doctor). And anyone who deliberately avoided maths-heavy A-Levels should be brushing up their calculation skills. The numeracy standard of many medical students is shocking.

Please
or

MidLifeCrisis007 · 07/06/2022 12:45

Invaluable advice @NoNotHimTheOtherOne . Thank you.

Please
or

olafolaf · 07/06/2022 13:46

Update from my post this morning. A very excitable DD has jut called from school to say HYMS have made an offer. I am hugely relieved for her - I think this will really give her the impetus she needs for her exams. Hang in there everyone still on a reserve list

Please
or

Solarlantern · 07/06/2022 14:21

Congratulations @olafolaf that is great news and a real boost in the middle of exams!

Please
or

HoneyMobster · 07/06/2022 14:35

@olafolaf - brilliant news. So pleased!

Please
or

Monkey2001 · 07/06/2022 14:36

Ooh, how exciting @olafolaf ! Hope there is time in the A level schedule for some celebrations!

OP's posts:
Please
or

HoneyMobster · 07/06/2022 14:38

@Scoobyblue - thanks for the Oxford info. It may be college specific or it's possible she's picked up a general message intended for everyone at her college (quite a big one).

Please
or

coffeeandbiscuittime · 07/06/2022 15:37

Congratulations @olafolaf. Exciting times for her .

Please
or

MidLifeCrisis007 · 07/06/2022 15:48

So happy to hear your DD's great news @olafolaf!

Please
or

olafolaf · 07/06/2022 17:42

Thank you to everyone. I have been an idle lurker and poor contributor to this thread, but just want to say how grateful I am for everyone's generosity of spirit and willingness to share information.
There's still a long road ahead and no certainty but I am going to try and share any learning in the hope it might help another applicant. But tonight - fizzy pop and trifle!

Please
or

Haffdonga · 07/06/2022 19:57

Congratulations @olafolaf 's dd! Celebrations amidst the for her today Smile

Ds2 didn't have a reading list from Sheffield and has only ever wanted his own copies of 2 seminal textbooks - Kumar and Clark's Clinical Medicine and Vander's Human Physiology. All other books are available from the uni libraries or passed down by previous years. In fact his most used learning resource has been previous year's notes alongside subscription to medicine revision websites (e.g.//passmedicine.com ) Yes folks, medicine exam revision is uncannily similar to UCAT, SJT and all. Wink

Please
or

Haffdonga · 07/06/2022 20:08

That did say celebrations amidst the revision when I posted Blush

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.