Please
or
to access all these features

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Films

REALLY scary films

332 replies

StrattersDD · 23/01/2016 20:02

Anyone got any recommendation of good scary films? I haven't seen one that's actually scared me for a long time.

OP posts:
PizzaConnoisseur · 24/01/2016 21:00

I said The Hostel before, I actually meant Wolf Creek!

Dead End is more of a black comedy/horror than a straight up horror. It's one of my favourite films, but mainly for the dark humour.

WhatsGoingOnEh · 24/01/2016 23:17

I've lost an entire day to these films! first of all, I watched Threads this morning -- brilliant. :)

Then tonight, first up, Event Horizon. NOT SCARY. I fell asleep in the middle! Now we are almost at the end of Creep. Good acting, not scary.

We found The Borderland on YouTube... That looked great. Might watch that if I'm not too scared to be watching creepy stuff at midnight...

:)

suzannecaravaggio · 25/01/2016 00:16

I just watched Creep, it was good!
I dont think I'm traumatized...but as per a PP the scariness factor depends in part on what pushes your buttons

I thought 'Afflicted' (netflix) was quite good

fastingmum123 · 25/01/2016 00:21

I stupidly watched the ring by myself one evening while no one was in. It scared the crap out of me and when my phone rang (mum calling to say she was on her way home) I completely freaked out!

fastingmum123 · 25/01/2016 00:21

Last horror I watched was vhs2 that was just plain strange but kind of played on my mind

Tanith · 25/01/2016 00:34

We watched Ring (Japanese version) one night.
During that scene, the doorbell rang (and scared the daylights out of me).

DH actually paused it with her half out of the telly and left me frozen with fear while he went to have a chat outside with his friend Shock

Modern Wicker Man with Nicolas Cage? Don't. Just don't. His acting is the very least of its problems. There's a funny review of it in poetry on Amazon, though - much more entertaining!

patienceisvirtuous · 25/01/2016 00:36

Seen most of these but marking thread to pick up a few new ones.

Loved Creep. Peachfuzz was cute 👹

Hippywannabe · 25/01/2016 08:03

I agree that the original Wicker man with Edward Woodward is far superior to the newer one. The moment he screams out "Jesus Christ! NO!" when his faith has been so much a part of him is truly horrifying.

CauliflowerBalti · 25/01/2016 10:26

No-one's mentioned It Follows. That really scared me. Unsettling scared, not eyeballs splattered across the floor scared.

My partner says The Babadook is genuinely scary and he's a proper horror junkie with a developed immunity to scary films.On that basis, I won't watch it. He also thought It Follows was very very good.

Iamblossom · 25/01/2016 10:44

I found The Strangers with Liv Tyler very scary.

And Cherry Tree Lane.

Both are home invasion movies, and really disturbing. So not sure if they fit the typical "scary movie" genre?

I watched a film recently which I wish I had never seen, called Chained, on Sky. I could not get it out of my head for weeks. It did not help that it featured a 9 year old boy and I happen to own one of those. His mother and he were kidnapped and she was attacked in front of him, whilst she tried to sooth him and tell him she wasn't hurt and all was going to be ok, and then he heard her screaming and being killed. Sad

Who thinks these things up?

I wish I had never watched it.

ClarkL · 25/01/2016 10:47

So thats 4 films added to my Amazon basket, White Noise, The Changeling, The Mothman Prophecies and The forth kind. Thanks all!!

I chuffin love a good horror. I made my now husband watch Rec on one of our dates and it did convert him over to horrors, although he's still never forgiven me for making him watch the Human centipede on our second date. He brought some boring film with Guy Martin in, so boring I talked through it and then put on the Human Centipede. Brilliant, totally disturbing film - terrible acting but WHAT a film, brilliant concept

lurkingabit · 25/01/2016 11:30

Rosemary's baby. Quietly, chillingly scary and oh so sinister. None of the in-your-face horror of most horror films, but of all the films I've seen, this sticks with me as truly scary.

momb · 25/01/2016 12:06

The Babadook. It took us two nights to get through it. I was shouting 'Oh God NO.....don't hurt him!!' at one point. Even DH was scared and he loves horror films.

airforsharon · 25/01/2016 12:17

The Silence of The Lambs scared the hell out of me.
Another that sticks in my mind is Eyes Without A Face (1960). That was very unsettling.

airforsharon · 25/01/2016 12:19

Hippy God yes, The Wicker Man I've tried to wipe that from my mind.

FortySixandTwo · 25/01/2016 12:19

Iamblossom I just came on to say The Strangers with Liv Tyler was a good watch especially as I didn't have the urge to shout abuse at Liv for doing the standard female in a horror movie role.
It's not horrifyingly scary but it takes a lot to scare me these days.

If you like a comedy horror (because who doesnt) Behind the mask the rise of Leslie Vernon and Tucker and Dale vs evil are two excellent watches.

Also Cabin in the Woods is a lot better than I gave the title credit for.

Quornmakesmefart · 25/01/2016 12:38

Hardly any films creep me out - although I love The Shining and think they get the supernatural aspect of it spot on.

I ended up watching Dog Soldiers the other night just because it was on tv - and it was really good - and properly creeped me out. There was also some very nice eye-candy in uniform Grin

MummyPig24 · 25/01/2016 12:49

The scariest films I've ever seen are The Ring, Shutter and Insidious. We watched Oculus the other night and it was a bit disappointing.

Hillfarmer · 25/01/2016 13:32

Only watch the original of The Vanishing - not the American remake. Seriously creepy. And Wolf Creek - oh god!

I've just got 'It Follows' from Amazon - supposed to be seriously good, but not watched yet.

Gileswithachainsaw · 25/01/2016 13:34

I'm watching it follows now.

it's shit.

sorry Grin

Hillfarmer · 25/01/2016 13:55

Oh no! I was really looking forward to it. Got top reviews. Shame

Gileswithachainsaw · 25/01/2016 13:57

Who knows, you might like it

pocketsaviour · 25/01/2016 14:15

It's a very individual thing, isn't it?

I only like proper supernatural films. Anything with demons or a religious note tends to terrify me.

Woman in Black, Paranormal Activity 1 and 2, Sinister, Insidious and Mama were really scary for me recently. The Conjuring I thought started off really good but the ending was poor.

I watched Drag me to Hell at the cinema with an ex. It was something like our 3rd or 4th date. He confessed afterwards that he spent the first half an hour trying to come up with an excuse to leave - like a pretend phone call from his teenager - because he was so scared! Grin

Slasher films or "Oh you've got to chop your own arm off" are just yukky, not scary, to me.

TBH the "this could happen to you" type, i.e. home invasions, etc, just put me off because YES it could happen and I don't really want to spend time thinking about that!

Adding a few of the films listed here to my watch list :)

Terribleknitter · 25/01/2016 14:22

White Noise gave me the creeps for ages - a friend of mine had a white noise app on her phone for some reason and it made me shudder! The sequel was crap though.
Any Japanese film will scare me, they are immensely talented at scary films in Japan. One Missed Call is a good one.
I found Candyman to be a weird mixture of scary and sad had a thing about Tony Todd at the time, it's a beautifully shot film as well.
Against my better judgement a while back I watched the original Saw (not usually into gory torture stuff) and didn't hate it. It didn't give me the thrill of the truly creepy films though, just made me feel a little sick...

Tanith · 25/01/2016 14:52

Surprised no-one has mentioned The Omen yet.
I've only seen the original - why they felt the need to improve on that, I don't know!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.