Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Fit bit or Apple Watch??

TooMuchCheesecake · 29/05/2020 17:41

I'm thinking of treating myself to a fitness tracker, maybe either an Apple Watch series 3 or some type of Fitbit. What do you recommend?
I would mainly like it for:
Counting steps
Recording a workout
Heart rate monitor
Sleep tracker

OP's posts:
Please
or

Kmxxx14 · 29/05/2020 17:42

Fitbit 100%. Have both and don’t rate the Apple Watch at all.

Please
or

choosesoap · 29/05/2020 17:44

Neither - check the Garmin vivoactive 4s , ive just switched from fitbit and its much more accurate.

Please
or

ifeellikeanidiot · 29/05/2020 17:45

I hated my Fitbit. But maybe I just had a bad one? It was the ionic and it was awful in too many ways to list.

Luckily I bought it from John Lewis so I got a replacement fairly easily. I dont have an iPhone but if i did, I'd get the watch. Def the best looking smart watch.

Please
or

chipsandpeas · 29/05/2020 17:47

i went from a fitbit versa to an apple watch and dont regret it - altho you do need a 3rd party app for sleep tracking (sleepwatch is the one i use)

Please
or

ifeellikeanidiot · 29/05/2020 17:49

I switched to the vivoactive 3 from the Fitbit and it was so much more reliable. Easy sync, trouble-free updates, no restarting everything and reinstalling stuff all the time.

However my VA3 isnt very reliable for sleep or heart rate data. I'd say the Fit Bit was prob more accurate for that

Please
or

Mychitchatdays · 29/05/2020 17:49

Fitbit app struggles to sync with the watch often and it just becomes frustrating.

Please
or

iVampire · 29/05/2020 17:50

Neither - Garmin!

Please
or

TooMuchCheesecake · 29/05/2020 20:35

Going to check out garmin now (thanks for recommendation) and hopefully make a decision tomorrow.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MrsJamin · 29/05/2020 22:51

Another vote for Garmin vivoactive 4s, so good for workouts, you can plan them on the website and it tells you what you need to do next etc, tis brilliant.

Please
or

Crazychocolatelady · 29/05/2020 22:56

I have the fitbit charge 3 and I absolutely love it! As cheesy as this sounds it has changed my way of life.

Please
or

NoTeaForMe · 29/05/2020 23:34

Apple Watch. I love mine. So much more than just a fitness tracker. Also you get to use a tracker that you like strava, map my run, whatever.

For those that have one do you use the workouts on there, the Nike tracker or a different app?

Please
or

Tangchi · 30/05/2020 07:03

Have to recommend the garmin Vivo active 4s
Best fitness tracker I have used

Please
or

sheregone · 30/05/2020 07:10

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

Passmeabrew · 30/05/2020 07:11

Another vote for Garmin!

Please
or

bulletjournalbilly · 30/05/2020 07:12

Garmin!

Please
or

oiboi · 30/05/2020 07:23

I don't know if the Apple Watch have improved their step counter but when my friend got hers a year ago it was very susceptible to translating any movement into steps, consequently she would have an insane number of steps each day for doing very little.

I had a garmin and really liked the functionality but not so much the styling.

Please
or

mistermagpie · 30/05/2020 07:27

Fitbits tend to be ugly and a bit crap. I have a garmin vivoactive and love it! Their customer service is amazing as well.

Can't speak to an Apple Watch but none of the runners I know use one for fitness tracking, so that tells me something.

Please
or

bettybyebye · 30/05/2020 07:29

I have a Fitbit versa and love it...it does all the things you need and I think it looks fab, I have a rose gold one

Please
or

StillThatBitch · 30/05/2020 07:35

Don't get Fitbit! They have recently released an update which has caused lots of issues for users. Stops tracking during exercise, crashes, restarts, dead screen, lost data. However mine broke shortly before so I didn't get the update. They are lumping my issue in with that one and won't help. Strangely enough, this happened just out of my year warranty. I've had 3 all of which lasted barely a year compared to my old Garmin which was bombproof for years, but at the time I didn't like their look - now they are lovely!

Thanks to the update problem a lot of Fitbit users now have trackers which don't work. The customer service response is basically 'meh' so many people are very unhappy.

Please
or

Normalmumandwife · 30/05/2020 07:36

Last time I looked Apple Watch didn't track sleep. I like that feature in fitbit.

However, I find fitbit a pain. I've had two now and both screens cracked (known adult). Also I have one that connects to phone for GPS and it keeps disconnecting which is a pain. Maybe the new ones are better (I have a Charge 2)

Please
or

ErrolTheDragon · 30/05/2020 07:41

I've never had a Fitbit. DH and I have apple watches which we like.

I don't really look at the step count much, I prefer to log actual distance during a proper outdoor walk (not just a lockdown thing!), it's very good for that. I'm not sure about the step count... this may apply to other devices but I think it measures arm swing and so IME it undercounts if you're carrying things or doing housework. Probably they'd need to make an ankle bracelet version to be accurate Grin

The heart rate monitor is good, I think. DH has a heart condition and keeps his on overnight as it should detect if he had a bout of fibrillation - there's something about what it's doing which he reckons is particularly good for that.
He uses a sleep tracker which he rates. He's also been dieting and counting calories and finds that the calorie expenditure recorded by the watch minus his food intake tallies remarkably well with weight change.

Please
or

Normalmumandwife · 30/05/2020 07:43

@StillThatBitch prob explains the problems I'm having with mine then with disconnecting.

Please
or

Shortandsweet20 · 30/05/2020 07:45

Apple Watch! After years of having a fit bit I got an Apple Watch and I much prefer it!

Please
or

Barnabyboyo · 30/05/2020 07:47

Apple watches are better if you’re going to properly train. Fit it’s are more for fun really. Fitbit have went really downhill recently and I stopped using it. The community is terrible now. Just Pervy men messaging you. It’s turned into an unofficial dating site.
I just used my Apple Watch all the time now when I used to wear both

Please
or

YummyVeggie · 30/05/2020 07:54

I’ve had all 3 and find the Apple Watch best! My Fitbit (surge) strap snapped so they sent a new one and the replacement burnt my arm! I still have a horrible scar Sad it just got really hot for no reason.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.