Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

8th Dec 6pm press conference

PurpleDaisies · 08/12/2021 17:14

Whitty
Vallance
Johnson

I wonder what they’ll say.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 09/12/2021 11:20

Church Flowers

It still goes to a vote and more pressure that mounts the more it will swing it. Hard to be at the difficult end of it all

Please
or

Octavia174 · 09/12/2021 11:36

Struggling to see how Whitty and Valence can share a stage with Johnson.
For me, he has trashed their rep.

Cabinet insiders saying that at the previous days meeting, the consensus was no to plan B, Partygate erupts, Plan B launched.

Please
or

vickyc90 · 09/12/2021 11:37

@herecomesthsun

I don't think anyone has claimed to "care" about CEV people.

They just didn't want them inconveniently dying all at once and / or disrupting the health service and the rest of society with thousands of severely ill people.

A thousand or so extra people dying per week, presumably many of these CEV, is apparently just fine and dandy.

It's not fine and dandy but in the situation of a pandemic is it acceptable is the true question. Just because we can lockdown and save some of them doesn't mean we should. As medics are taught sometimes the kindest thing to do is to do nothing at all
Please
or

herecomesthsun · 09/12/2021 11:41

I'm not saying we should lockdown right now.

If all the numbers go up a lot in a few weeks time, all the options will be on the table however. (Not saying they should necessarily go for lockdown, just that it remains in the toolkit).

Please
or

herecomesthsun · 09/12/2021 11:41

Also I am very glad that we have Whitty and Vallance there with Johnson and not, say, Heneghan and Gupta.

Please
or

churchofthepoisonmind · 09/12/2021 11:49

@herecomesthsun do you not think Whitty kills his credibility by sharing a stage - and thereby legitimising Johnson - a known liar? I would have so much more respect for Whitty if he refused to stand alongside him on a point of principle.

Please
or

herecomesthsun · 09/12/2021 11:55

No I think Whitty should stay exactly where he is, he is the most intelligent person and has most integrity out of the people with whom Boris is working.

At least there are some people, Whitty, Vallance and JVT, talking truth to power and trying to get us through this.

Please
or

Octavia174 · 09/12/2021 12:04

@herecomesthsun

No I think Whitty should stay exactly where he is, he is the most intelligent person and has most integrity out of the people with whom Boris is working.

At least there are some people, Whitty, Vallance and JVT, talking truth to power and trying to get us through this.

...but they are not, they are going along with a conman, who is trashing the scientific advice.

Also, hate the way JVT talks down to us, using simplistic analogies, such as 11 man on football field, now we down to 10, wtf is that all about?

Whitty, did good work on Ebola, i can only think he is sticking with it, as a best worse case option.
Please
or

herecomesthsun · 09/12/2021 12:15

It does baffle me that so many people praise JVT's simple, clear talking style when he uses so many metaphors, sometimes mixed, about pots of yoghurt, trains coming into stations and yellow cards.

Apart from that, he is a good communicator though. I just ignore all the football stuff.

The CMO has to work with the PM, if we have someone like Johnson for PM, I'm really glad we at least have someone like Whitty for CMO.

Please
or

BanditoShipman · 09/12/2021 17:41

[quote churchofthepoisonmind]@herecomesthsun do you not think Whitty kills his credibility by sharing a stage - and thereby legitimising Johnson - a known liar? I would have so much more respect for Whitty if he refused to stand alongside him on a point of principle.[/quote]
He has to stay there, we need him. I think he’s a saint, I imagine he loathes Boris as much as anyone but is choosing to stay as that is his job and he can do more good in it than out of it

Please
or

rrhuth · 09/12/2021 17:47

[quote churchofthepoisonmind]@herecomesthsun do you not think Whitty kills his credibility by sharing a stage - and thereby legitimising Johnson - a known liar? I would have so much more respect for Whitty if he refused to stand alongside him on a point of principle.[/quote]
No because either you accept democracy or you don't.

Fauci had to put up with Trump, Whitty has to put up with Johnson, that is how it goes.

I hate Johnson but Whitty is doing the right thing by upholding his office.

Please
or

spongedog · 09/12/2021 18:44

[quote Unsure33]@TheShallows

You do know this could happen if you get covid as well . It can cause blood clots in every organ in your body . I know someone who can only just return to work after 4 months in hospital and 3 months at home . Not old either .[/quote]
I now know of 2 young(er) people - fairly fit - who have developed blood clots, most probably due to Covid. The 1st will take months to get back to normal fitness - the anti-coagulants will work but slowly. The 2nd is only at the start of their journey. Not great at all.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.