Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Double jabbed but so ill

159 replies

Jessica60 · 30/09/2021 16:23

I am double jabbed, early 40's, reasonably healthy. I have just caught covid and feel horrendous. Every bone aches, chest hurst, migraines, hot sweats then freezing cold, runny nose,cough, loss of taste and smell. I am bed bound.
I rang in sick to work and they seemed peeved that I'm off sick on not wfh on laptop. I can't possibly look at a screen or think.
Work seem to think that most covid positive person are asymptomatic.
Is this right?
Am I the only one with symptoms after 2 jabs?
I honestly don't know why the vaccine hasn't worked.

Who else has contracted covid after vaccination and how bad did you get it?

OP posts:
Please
or

GoodnightGrandma · 30/09/2021 16:26

I know a couple. One is still feeling ‘off’ after a couple of weeks.
Forget work, you are sick.
Paracetamol, ibuprofen, lots of fluid and rest

Please
or

Peridot1 · 30/09/2021 16:28

DS (20) has it and is really miserable. Double jabbed too. He’s not bed bound but hardly eating. Coughing away. Not sleeping because of the cough. Will only take ibuprofen.

Please
or

olliecollie · 30/09/2021 16:30

Ive got it at the moment, well waiting for pcr results, had 3 positive lft so imagine it will be positive. Daughter had positive test Tuesday age 14 so myself and 13 year old waiting for results.
54 double vaccinated, have pumping headache no energy joints her and for some reason fingernails.
Feel full of cold.
Hope you feel better soon x

Please
or

careerchangeperhaps · 30/09/2021 16:31

I've known a lot that have had it bad even with being double jabbed. Incidentally, almost all have had the AZ vaccine (one had Pfizer, nobody I know who had the Moderna jabs has been unwell with Covid since having the jabs).

Please
or

playingdevilsavocado · 30/09/2021 16:33

I had it double jabbed with Pfizer, so did my husband double jabbed with AZ, we both felt fairly crap. Just thanking our lucky stars it wasn’t worse, which it would have been unvaccinated, we just don’t know how much worse.

Please
or

VanCleefArpels · 30/09/2021 16:34

It’s not that the jab hadn’t “worked”. It was never going to prevent you from catching Covid. Less chance of catching but not zero chance. It also means that your symptoms are likely to be less severe should you catch it. Think what it might have been like had you not taken the very sensible decision to get vaccinated!

Please
or

Whentheydontmeanwhattheysay · 30/09/2021 16:35

@Jessica60 could I ask which vaccine you had?

Wishing you a speedy recovery Flowers

Please
or

CatAlice · 30/09/2021 16:36

Lots of threads recently of people double vaxxed and ill. I am 8 weeks past an awful dose of covid.
It's a very nasty virus and many people are lucky to have no symptoms but the fact that you have doesn't mean the vaccine didn't work.

It's a problem with WFH that employers still expect people to work when they are ill. You need to say that if you weren't wfh then you would be too ill to go into work.

Please
or

Cruiser11 · 30/09/2021 16:36

I tested positive on Monday, I’m 52 and double jabbed. I had my second vaccination in April so maybe it’s wearing off. I’m not as bad as you but have most of the same symptoms except loss of taste and smell. Mornings, evenings and then last night are the worst times for me. I need to take the maximum amount of painkillers and then symptoms are manageable. I’m on about day 5 of symptoms. My DH who is 55 and a few days ahead of me has it worse and has been going to bed each afternoon for a couple of hours. Ignore what work says, this is real, I didn’t expect to get COVID after the vaccinations and certainly not like this. I dread to think how ill my DH would have been with the jabs.
I hope you are feeling better soon.

Please
or

daisydalrymple · 30/09/2021 16:38

Four friends I know have had it in the last month or two, all double jabbed. One ended up in ICU on an incubator. Thankfully now slowly recovering. The other 3 all as poorly as I was when I had it at Christmas pre vaccines.
I wonder if either, the vaccines are not effective against the current strains, OR, the current strains are much worse for some people than the original strain and the vaccines are reducing the severity, but it’s still hitting people badly. Who knows.
DISCLAIMER: am not a clinician and this is pure musing / speculation.

Please
or

Cruiser11 · 30/09/2021 16:39

I mean without the jabs.

Please
or

PurpleDaisies · 30/09/2021 16:39

I honestly don't know why the vaccine hasn't worked.

What’s your definition of the vaccine working? You’re not in hospital. You’re not seriously ill.

I’m sure it’s miserable but please keep it in perspective.

Hope you feel better soon.

Please
or

Roomba · 30/09/2021 16:47

Not sure you can extrapolate much from knowing which jab people you know who caught covid have had tbh.

DS2 brought it home a couple of weeks ago. DS1 and DSD1 caught it within two days of contact - all unvaccinated. All parents/stepparents didn't catch it, despite having children breathe it all over us for 10 days+. We've all had AstraZeneca jabs.

Their aunt caught it by sitting in a car with DS2 for no more than 15 minutes. There's literally nowhere else she could have caught it as it was the only time she'd left her home all that week and she wasn't in contact with anyone but DS. She's had the Pfizer jabs. She mainly had a headache for a couple of days on and off, and felt pretty low energy for 4 or 5 days. She was still able to work from home, just slower than usual and with early nights to rest.

I know two others who caught it in the summer, one had Pfizer and one had the Johnson & Johnson (lives in US). The first had similar flu/tired feelings to my sister. The other was asymptomatic the entire time.

Please
or

hashbrownsandwich · 30/09/2021 16:49

Healthcare professional here, double jabbed. Nearly half our workforce have tested positive for covid this week despite all being double jabbed and full PPE. Myself included.
Lateral flows were negative but as had symptoms, did PCR and boom, positive.

Please
or

DaftVader42 · 30/09/2021 16:56

Double vaccinated. Astra z. Over 2 weeks since positive pcr and still have temp snd headache. Have felt really unwell. Fit, early 40s. No breathing issues but my gosh my head is still killing me. Used to the high temp now. Back at work as gp said wouldn’t be infectious and to come back in 3 months if still symptoms 😭

Please
or

Junip · 30/09/2021 17:26

Hope you feel better soon OP. I’m on day 7 of having Covid after being double jabbed. I really didn’t expect such strong symptoms, fever/chills, intense headaches especially behind the eyes and cough. Now just left with no taste/smell. I know of others who have felt fine though.
Quite glad to get it out of the way before half term and winter though, assuming I don’t get it again!

Please
or

Jessica60 · 30/09/2021 17:42

[quote Whentheydontmeanwhattheysay]@Jessica60 could I ask which vaccine you had?

Wishing you a speedy recovery Flowers[/quote]
I had the AZ one. Works track and trace were interested in which one I had too. I heard Pfizer is more effective.

I was wondering how bad I would have been without it.

I just wish the bosses would be more aware of the fact that people can still get ill.

OP posts:
Please
or

DrWankincense · 30/09/2021 17:48

@Jessica60 I've been exactly the same. AZ.
3 days fully in bed, 2 days napping in the afternoon.
I'm day 10 and nowhere near ready to go back to work yet. Still have a stuffy head and extremely fatigued.

Please
or

DrWankincense · 30/09/2021 17:49

Hopefully you fare better and recover soon.

Please
or

Jessica60 · 30/09/2021 17:52

@hashbrownsandwich

Healthcare professional here, double jabbed. Nearly half our workforce have tested positive for covid this week despite all being double jabbed and full PPE. Myself included.
Lateral flows were negative but as had symptoms, did PCR and boom, positive.

Have they had to take time off due to their symptoms?
OP posts:
Please
or

TheDuckSaysMoo · 30/09/2021 17:55

I'm in my fourth week of covid and have managed about 6 hours of work this week. I'm double vaccinated with Pfizer. I still get tired really quickly and my brain feels slow. I couldn't have a proper work conversation for more than a few minutes. I met with my boss this week and put the camera on. He was shocked at how bad I looked, so I think he is more understanding now.

Please
or

Loveacuppa · 30/09/2021 18:04

Same here - double jabbed - thought I would just cough a bit and then be fine - was utterly floored and very ill for a good 4 weeks. Could not shake the brain fog and vertigo. Put myself on a random cocktail of vitamins etc - I have no idea if it was just time, placebo effect, or one of them doing something, but I do feel better now - not perfect, but much improved. It is horrific OP, sorry you are going through a bad bout, and hope you reach the other side soon.

Please
or

GoodnightGrandma · 30/09/2021 18:05

I have two colleagues who had Pfizer and were both poorly with Covid. One is still feeling not quite right 4 weeks later, but is back full time.

Please
or

PhiRhoSigma · 30/09/2021 18:05

"Have they had to take time off due to their symptoms?"

If they've tested positive, it would be illegal not to! I've been called twice over past ten days by NHS Trace to check I am self isolating.

Not that I'd be capable of anything else. Double AZ vaxxed but feel awful. Daughter had Pfizer, she's got it too, but doesn't feel bad at all. But then she's younger of course!

Your workplace should absolutely not be pressuring you to continue working. The vaccines are clearly only reducing serious infections, not any infections, and people are still feeling rough even if it's not a medical emergency.

Please
or

TheGriffle · 30/09/2021 18:05

I’m on my first day out since my positive test 11 days ago, have not worked since then. Double jabbed with AZ, I’ve had a couple of days of a bad cold, loss of taste and smell which has slowly started to come back, breathless just walking up the stairs, having to rest after I’ve emptied the dishwasher etc and just lethargy. I’ve spent 10 days on the sofa mostly. Still feel weak and sicky when walking about or if I have to stand for any length of time.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?