Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Conflict in the Middle East

IDF admits 'extensive collateral damage' in Christmas Eve refugee camp strikes

126 replies

Silence1 · 28/12/2023 17:43

I first heard of this on Christmas Eve when someone shared an Instagram post on here I think. According to some posters we shouldn't believe Insta and the death figures will be unreliable coming from Gaza.
This was Israeli jets, presumably well trained professional pilots and they used the wrong type of munition? FFS

"Two strikes hit seven residential buildings in Maghazi, killing an estimated 86 Palestinians and injuring many more, the UN statement said. An unknown number of people were also believed to be trapped under the rubble."

All sound so familiar, in fact I've reached the point I don't believe the idiotic IDF and extremist Israeli Govt. More like it was just a giant FU from them. So brave using their air force to obliterate innocent people.

"Speaking to public broadcaster Kan news, an Israeli military official said: "The type of munition did not match the nature of the attack, causing extensive collateral damage that could have been avoided."
They said the incident was being investigated further.
Asked about the report, the IDF told the BBC that it "regrets the harm to uninvolved individuals, and is working to draw lessons from the incident".
The military said its jets had struck two targets adjacent to an area where Hamas operatives were located but that additional buildings were also hit during the strikes."

OP posts:
Parkingt111 · 28/12/2023 18:09

I saw the aftermath of the Al Maghazi strikes
I even posted at the time that i wouldn't be shocked if another 2000 pound bomb had been used judging by the sheer damage and death and injury toll
It was horrific and carried out in a densely populated civilian area. I dare not post any of the videos of the aftermath as the horror is unimaginable.

And conveniently done whilst alot of people were busy in the festive period and not paying as much attention. Many children were killed. All of these lives mean something.
I can't believe how flippantly the IDF have just said that yes we used the wrong type of ammunition

Pennina · 28/12/2023 18:12

It is war. what did Hamas expect Israel to do? despite the millions of millions of pounds and dollars of aid, there are no shelters for the Gazan population. Just tunnels for terrorists. Why is that? Other threads seem to overlook the fact that Hamas have been firing rockets on Israel for years, and that seems to be acceptable, Israel seem to have to just suck it up. If Hamas has not committed the atrocities on 7/10 then Israel would not have attacked in this way.

Why won't Hamas release the hostages? If they unconditionally did that then I'm sure things would change, until Hamas fire more rockets on Israel.

Parkingt111 · 28/12/2023 18:16

@Pennina even wars have rules
The many atrocities of Hamas does not absolve the IDF of acting within the parameters of international law.

I agree with you that Hamas should release the hostages unconditionally but that doesn't mean Israel can carry out the war in ways that contravene the law and cause unlawful harm on civilians.

Silence1 · 28/12/2023 18:24

@Pennina so you think killing many innocent people is justified? Don't quantify the answer. A simple yes or no. If people keep believing that there will never be any peace.

OP posts:
BigandBeefy · 28/12/2023 18:40

Pennina · 28/12/2023 18:12

It is war. what did Hamas expect Israel to do? despite the millions of millions of pounds and dollars of aid, there are no shelters for the Gazan population. Just tunnels for terrorists. Why is that? Other threads seem to overlook the fact that Hamas have been firing rockets on Israel for years, and that seems to be acceptable, Israel seem to have to just suck it up. If Hamas has not committed the atrocities on 7/10 then Israel would not have attacked in this way.

Why won't Hamas release the hostages? If they unconditionally did that then I'm sure things would change, until Hamas fire more rockets on Israel.

Israel haven't been 'sucking it up' as you put it though. Israel has been illegally occupying, Israel has been stealing land, Israel has been restricting Gazas economy, Israel has been killing, Israel has been torturing and imprisoning, Israel has been humiliating and intimidating. Israel has been doing lots and lots of things, I don't think 'sucking it up is one of them.

Is it acceptable to say that if Israel had not done all of the above Hamas would not have committed the atrocities that they did? Why won't Israel release all the people they are holding and torturing under administrative detention? Perhaps things would change if they did that?

Ignoring Israel's role in all of this and pretending that they have just been going about their lives while the savages across the fence fire rockets at them is a really big misinterpretation of what has been happening and ignores not just Israel's role as an illegal occupier but Israel's responsibilities towards those they choose to illegally occupy.

BeggyMitchell · 28/12/2023 18:43

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Tescos1 · 28/12/2023 18:49

To quote Ben Shapiro or paraphrase him, why dont Hamas surrender ?

hollyholey · 28/12/2023 18:54

Bloody awful and inexcusable. Poor civilians.

Molymoly · 28/12/2023 19:06

@Pennina so what about what's happening in the West Bank? Why are the IDF raiding there?

Errolwasahero · 28/12/2023 19:07

Well if Israel’s real aim is to eradicate terrorists, they’ll have plenty more to choose from in a few years.

hollyholey · 28/12/2023 19:10

Errolwasahero · 28/12/2023 19:07

Well if Israel’s real aim is to eradicate terrorists, they’ll have plenty more to choose from in a few years.

exactly.

FrippEnos · 28/12/2023 19:11

hollyholey · 28/12/2023 19:10

exactly.

It is a very odd way of going about it.

Pennina · 28/12/2023 19:11

Why don't Hamas surrender/return hostages? They want this to continue?

Pennina · 28/12/2023 19:20

Molymoly · 28/12/2023 19:06

@Pennina so what about what's happening in the West Bank? Why are the IDF raiding there?

Great whataboutery and swerving

Molymoly · 28/12/2023 19:26

So the IDF want us to believe that nobody noticed they had loaded the wrong ammunition?
Also, what's with the words "univolved individuals", why cant they say innocent individuals?

Molymoly · 28/12/2023 19:32

@Pennina Its a genuine question. Hamas are not in the West Bank.

ohfourfoxache · 28/12/2023 19:35

Borth · 28/12/2023 19:36

Vicarofdibley123 · 28/12/2023 19:42

I can’t even articulate the level of disgust and anger I feel towards the Israeli government and the US and our own government. We’re within a century of WW2 and back to mass murder and torture in the ‘developed’ world. And there’s just silence all around. Follow Motaz on instagram if you need a reminder that their torture never stops and the BBC offer a heavily sanitised version of what the Israeli government are doing. 23rd December was just one mass murder, but it’s happening all the time.

TakeMe2Insanity · 28/12/2023 20:24

No Israel is choosing to do this aka everything past 7/10. They’ve been told collective punishment and starvation is against war but they’ve chosen to do it.

Pennina · 28/12/2023 20:41

Molymoly · 28/12/2023 19:32

@Pennina Its a genuine question. Hamas are not in the West Bank.

That's not what the thread is about. I am not ignoring you but the West Bank is a huge topic and on a board where Israel is referred to as terrorists and the Idf as c** ts I see little point in trying. However, if you are genuinely interested and not another screamer, have a look at the AMA board. There is a very interesting thread from someone who lives in Israel who gives a lot of really helpful insights.

stomachamaleon · 28/12/2023 20:49

@TakeMe2Insanity what about the rockets continuing to fly into Israel from Gaza: fired from urban areas.
It's not a way one street.

MissyB1 · 28/12/2023 20:54

The slaughter will continue whether they release hostages or not, Israel have made that quite clear! They are determined to keep going with the genocide.

Polka83 · 28/12/2023 20:58

@Silence1 It’s really depressing how some minimise the actions of the IDF, and it’s no point in trying to change the view of some with what can be considered extremists views. Even the IDF - who have repeatedly used dumb bombs have said that there is need to investigate and « draw lessons » from this incident.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.