Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

ACU Ninewells

RRk1469 · 29/12/2021 21:00

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has been for a first appointment at the ACU in Dundee. My husband and I have our first appointment together at the end of January and just wondering what to expect.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Brenna24 · 29/12/2021 21:10

Not myself, but DH did. We had 3 miscarriages in 7 months, then failed to get pregnant again for a further year. DH's GP referred him for a sperm test while I was being seen by the Recurrent Miscarriage Clinic and then 2 private miscarriage clinics. They were lovely and communicated well with us and the other clinics. I didn't need investigation by them as the tests by the RMC didn't turn up anything useful but the 2 private clinics did and they treated me between them. From experience of a friend who went been and was 40 when referred to them, they dragged their heels got her to lose a tiny bit of weight and did loads of other delaying tactics qnd then declared her too old at 42. If you are pushed for time at all I would suggest pushing hard to get treated before you time out.

Please
or

RRk1469 · 29/12/2021 21:16

Hi sorry to hear that. It's all very stressful!

I am 33 at the moment and a pretty good weight. We've been trying for over 4 years so I'm not sure if they'll just put us onto the IVF waiting list as it's been so long. We've both had tests done. Although we've not had DH results back from his sperms test.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Brenna24 · 29/12/2021 21:31

Thanks. We got lucky and the private clinics found our problems and we have a wee girl who turns 4 next week. That pregnancy was the scariest thing that I have ever done, but worth every minute. That is a good start that you have time on your side. What tests have you had? They may want to check that your tubes aren't blocked etc. before they go straight in to IVF.

Please
or

RRk1469 · 29/12/2021 21:35

Aw thats amazing. Happy birthday to her when it comes.

I've had my day 21 progesterone, thyroid & diabetes then my Husband gave his sample. We didn't get results through on those just the appointment for both of us to go together at the end of the month. But no other information 🙄. I've heard of that is is called HyCoSy? X

OP's posts:
Please
or

Brenna24 · 30/12/2021 17:01

I think so. They will talk you through everything on your first appointment. Best of luck.

Please
or

LuluF91 · 30/12/2021 17:24

I had a pretty positive experience with them, both husband and I had investigations done. I had my endo treated thanks to them, despite being dismissed by several GP's regarding it, and we concieved with assistance (despite being advised it would be unlikely!). I found once we were actually there for the appointments things weren't as slow as I expected but this was years ago, wishing you lots of luck!

Please
or

LuluF91 · 30/12/2021 17:24

Sorry, that's meant to say without assistance!

Please
or

RRk1469 · 30/12/2021 20:24

@LuluF91

I had a pretty positive experience with them, both husband and I had investigations done. I had my endo treated thanks to them, despite being dismissed by several GP's regarding it, and we concieved with assistance (despite being advised it would be unlikely!). I found once we were actually there for the appointments things weren't as slow as I expected but this was years ago, wishing you lots of luck!

Aw thats amazing. Doctors can be quite rubbish at times. Thankfully my doctor is pretty good. I just wish I'd done something sooner but I guess I'm still young(ish!!) Just want to know now and I'm so nervous about what's going to happen as obviously I only think the worst and think everything is going to take so long!
OP's posts:
Please
or

CuriousAries · 02/01/2022 09:53

Hi @RRk1469

I have my first appointment on 14th January. Like you had bloods done and DH has had 2 SA through GP but we have not had the results of either....first one was done in July. Guessing somethings up for them to ask for a 2nd. Been TTC since July 20, went to GP June 21 and they sent the referral in Oct 21.

It would be good to buddy up as I have told no one what is going on at the moment.

Please
or

CuriousAries · 02/01/2022 09:58

...Also I got a letter explaining what will happen. Did you not?
It says it is possible that I will get scanned / have an internal. So that's not the Hycosy. I think from that initial visit they can then book you in for that etc. And that previous results will be discussed..May have mentioned getting more bloods done. Says appointment usually lasts around 40 mins.

Please
or

RRk1469 · 02/01/2022 10:19

@CuriousAries

Hi *@RRk1469*

I have my first appointment on 14th January. Like you had bloods done and DH has had 2 SA through GP but we have not had the results of either....first one was done in July. Guessing somethings up for them to ask for a 2nd. Been TTC since July 20, went to GP June 21 and they sent the referral in Oct 21.

It would be good to buddy up as I have told no one what is going on at the moment.

I got my blood tests and 21 day progesterone test in Oct. And I ovulate very normal apparently. DH got his appointment start of December for his sample but all we received was a letter telling us to go to the infertility clinic on the 28th but no further information 😢. We have been trying for 4 years now so quite a while. I'm 33. So still have time and hoping to get something sorted.

I have told one person but she got pregnant and now I feel like I don't want to make her feel bad!! 🤣
Happy to buddy and chat. It's good to talk to someone going through the same :)
OP's posts:
Please
or

CuriousAries · 02/01/2022 12:17

I'm turning 31 this year.
It did take 8 weeks to get a letter through to say about 2nd SA...so maybe it's for the results for the SA? It will be 12 weeks from the 2nd SA to our appointment.
I'll dig the letter out later today and see what it was called. I'll try take a pic of the info if you want. I remember we have a questionnaire to fill in as well.

Please
or

RRk1469 · 02/01/2022 13:55

Yeah I'll guess well find out in a few weeks.

How you feeling about your appointment?

OP's posts:
Please
or

RRk1469 · 02/01/2022 13:56

@CuriousAries

I'm turning 31 this year.
It did take 8 weeks to get a letter through to say about 2nd SA...so maybe it's for the results for the SA? It will be 12 weeks from the 2nd SA to our appointment.
I'll dig the letter out later today and see what it was called. I'll try take a pic of the info if you want. I remember we have a questionnaire to fill in as well.

We got a questionnaire also!
OP's posts:
Please
or

CuriousAries · 02/01/2022 19:58

My letter says - Gynaecology Infertility for the clinic. Sounds like they have maybe just missed the info letter out the envelope. I'll try work out how to private message you and I'll send it over (think we need to use the website not the app).

I'm excited for appointment...feel like regardless of the news it's a step forward.
I found the first 8 months the hardest- living in 2 week cycles, hoping, then the constant disappointment. After 8 months I felt better that I was closer to being able to speak to GP and start gaining some sort of control. Then once I was able to speak to GP I stopped counting down to next period etc and have been really relaxed...impatient and frustrated still at times...but I know deep down (and have done growing up) that for some reason I would need some help (as far as aware I don't have any issues and I am ovulating regularly and have period every 28 days!)

How are you feeling?

Does anyone else feel similar in that they felt better once investigations were underway?

Please
or

RRk1469 · 13/01/2022 18:16

@CuriousAries

My letter says - Gynaecology Infertility for the clinic. Sounds like they have maybe just missed the info letter out the envelope. I'll try work out how to private message you and I'll send it over (think we need to use the website not the app).

I'm excited for appointment...feel like regardless of the news it's a step forward.
I found the first 8 months the hardest- living in 2 week cycles, hoping, then the constant disappointment. After 8 months I felt better that I was closer to being able to speak to GP and start gaining some sort of control. Then once I was able to speak to GP I stopped counting down to next period etc and have been really relaxed...impatient and frustrated still at times...but I know deep down (and have done growing up) that for some reason I would need some help (as far as aware I don't have any issues and I am ovulating regularly and have period every 28 days!)

How are you feeling?

Does anyone else feel similar in that they felt better once investigations were underway?

Hey!! Sorry I've been quiet. So much going on over the last few weeks. Good luck for tomorrow 💓 I'll be keeping everything crossed for you 🤞
OP's posts:
Please
or

CuriousAries · 14/01/2022 20:32

Good to hear from you @RRk1469
Looks like there isn't a photo option on the private message.
Thanks for remembering app.
Was fine. Didn't get ultrasound like they suggested in letter- maybe cos they were running 20 mins late- not sure but bit disappointed with that. Just went over the questionnaire and gave semen results.
They are making an appointment for one hopefully soon and just as standard doing the Hycosy as well. Didn't think they would unless they seen something on the ultrasound first!
Anyway- found out it's DH morphology. 0.4% in 1st sample and 0% in 2nd sample. 4% is normal. All other sperm factors normal.
They said IVF could solve that since everything else is fine, said it's just one of these things, and didn't say about diet and vitamins etc to help. All very relaxed about it and didn't see it as a bad thing. DH surprisingly totally fine about it all.
Said they will only put on waiting list once the 2 tests for me are done and then it's 6-9 months wait. Hoped it would be abit quicker buy hey ho at least things are moving forward.
Also didn't question about covid vaccine status like I thought they would.
Oh just to make you aware- they ask for ID and take a picture of you both at reception. Was quite overwhelmed with that at a hospital!
Reception had a lovely montage of pictures of all the babies they have helped to make which is stunning.
Sorry to bombard you with all this info- hopefully not overwhelmed but I'd love to have known all this info!
How are you doing??

Please
or

RRk1469 · 14/01/2022 20:54

@CuriousAries

Good to hear from you *@RRk1469*
Looks like there isn't a photo option on the private message.
Thanks for remembering app.
Was fine. Didn't get ultrasound like they suggested in letter- maybe cos they were running 20 mins late- not sure but bit disappointed with that. Just went over the questionnaire and gave semen results.
They are making an appointment for one hopefully soon and just as standard doing the Hycosy as well. Didn't think they would unless they seen something on the ultrasound first!
Anyway- found out it's DH morphology. 0.4% in 1st sample and 0% in 2nd sample. 4% is normal. All other sperm factors normal.
They said IVF could solve that since everything else is fine, said it's just one of these things, and didn't say about diet and vitamins etc to help. All very relaxed about it and didn't see it as a bad thing. DH surprisingly totally fine about it all.
Said they will only put on waiting list once the 2 tests for me are done and then it's 6-9 months wait. Hoped it would be abit quicker buy hey ho at least things are moving forward.
Also didn't question about covid vaccine status like I thought they would.
Oh just to make you aware- they ask for ID and take a picture of you both at reception. Was quite overwhelmed with that at a hospital!
Reception had a lovely montage of pictures of all the babies they have helped to make which is stunning.
Sorry to bombard you with all this info- hopefully not overwhelmed but I'd love to have known all this info!
How are you doing??

Aw hope you don't have to wait too long for your next set of tests. Did they give you any idea how long you'd have to wait?

That's interesting about the morphology. I guess it's kind off good news as at least it can be resolved? 6 to 9 months wait is a bit of a bummer but just think you could be pregnant by the end of the year!!

I wondered about the covid vaccine status as I actually haven't had the vaccine. I thought I probably would have to get it before being offered IVF. At this stage I'd do anything so I would probably just go get it!

I'm feeling okay thanks. Just wanna get moving which I'm sure you understand completely!!
OP's posts:
Please
or

CuriousAries · 14/01/2022 21:09

You never know re vaccine if our wait time is 6-9 months- the guidance may change by then and not need it anymore. I've not had booster yet.
He said I should get a letter in a couple of weeks with appointment but don't know when for. I've to phone for Hycosy for 1st half of cycle- which I'm in now! So phoning Monday morning and see what it's like. He said if not this time round hopefully next month. Smile Hoping he is right!

Please
or

RRk1469 · 14/01/2022 23:28

Aw hopefully you get it done this month. Every wee bit of waiting is so annoying. I've hear you can choose to pay private for any pre tests that may take a while but I think they're quite expensive 🙄

Did they check your BMI? Do bloods or smoke test?

Ive heard they do that before adding to the waiting list. X

OP's posts:
Please
or

CuriousAries · 15/01/2022 12:13

Took BMI but just asked about smoking and alcohol and we both don't.
Did say chlamydia test is needed to be within 6 months and mines was about 8 months so need to go back to GP...and by the time treatments due to begin im guessing would need yet another one.
They didn't even look at the forms for the answers just asked if all again.
The 28th will come around quick 😬

Please
or

RRk1469 · 21/01/2022 19:45

Hey!

Did you manage to get your hycosy done?

Do you mean another smear test? I just had one before Xmas so I'll probs need another before I start anything.

OP's posts:
Please
or

CuriousAries · 22/01/2022 15:17

No cos we have covid...again!!
Will need to wait until next month now.
They ask for smear within last year but also a chlamydia swab within last 6 months. Did you not get one done with GP before referral?
Not long to go for you now 😬

Please
or

RRk1469 · 29/01/2022 17:23

Our appointment was same as you really. We went through all the questions. They said DH sperm concentration was quite low. He had 5million and apparently should be 15, so he has requested a second SA to confirm and I've to get my chlamydia swab and ultrasound and we'll be put onto the waiting list. Have you had and of your appointments yet? You must be so frustrated with having covid again 🙄

OP's posts:
Please
or

CuriousAries · 29/01/2022 17:29

Glad appointment was ok.
Good to compare against 2nd SA as it might be higher next time.
Not got ultrasound app as there's a waiting list. Hycosy booked in for mid Feb if period comes as usual - with covid now who knows 😩
R u to get Hycosy as well?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.