My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

From present ideas to party food, find all your Christmas inspiration here.

Christmas

John Lewis Ad

173 replies

RainbowZebraWarrior · 09/11/2023 07:18

Erm.

Different.

No breathy singing and tear jerker this year.

Anyone else seen it?

OP posts:
RainbowZebraWarrior · 09/11/2023 07:48

I must have had a premonition, as earlier this week I picked this last chilli off a plant in the greenhouse. Me, Mum and Dad were all laughing about it bring Very Little Shop of Horrors!

John Lewis Ad
OP posts:
AzureBlue99 · 09/11/2023 07:52

They probably made it so awful it gets talked about.

NoTango · 09/11/2023 07:53

Just watched the ad. I love it!! Yes I cried 😁

YourNameGoesHere · 09/11/2023 07:55

AzureBlue99 · 09/11/2023 07:52

They probably made it so awful it gets talked about.

I did wonder this. It makes a lot more sense than someone actively pitching the concept of a Venus fly trap Christmas tree and everyone else agreeing it was the best idea.

GoodOldEmmaNess · 09/11/2023 07:56

I just tried to click on the ad from a JL email and got vaguely pissed off because it was a ruse to try and make me download their flaming app. I'm not that bothered, John, about seeing the ad a few hours early.

If it has a houseplant in it, that's a plus for me, even if it is one that eats people. So long as it isn't a fucking poinsettia (why do people buy those crap plants every christmas.?)

The merchandise pictured in the email looked shockingly naff.

RainbowZebraWarrior · 09/11/2023 08:02

FitAt50 · 09/11/2023 07:29

They changed the agency who do all their Christmas adverts. This one is awful and I predict lots of backlash.

Yes, I read that. It's also much shorter (money issue, probably) but it meant there was no 'story' Last year, the build up with the guy falling off the skateboard - it gives you time to engage, to wonder. Then the door opens and "oh, my goodness. He's fostering a girl and has been learning so he has something in common with her. Ahhhh"

There is literally no "Ahhhh" for me this year.

OP posts:
NotmySundaybest · 09/11/2023 08:06

I think it's nice. By DS's love it & it opened up for wider conversation around Venus fly traps & nature etc.

TodayInahurry · 09/11/2023 08:07

I have never understood these Xmas ads, they spend huge amounts of money on them, then there is usually some sort of row about them. Why do they bother?

GoodOldEmmaNess · 09/11/2023 08:11

Well, i guess they bother because the ads improve sales regardless of whether we love them or hate them. But I also think that they are aware that the bubble has burst now, and they are just doing a scaled back version as a staging post in the dwindling away of the fad.

Elvanseshortage · 09/11/2023 08:14

@TodayInahurry

Why do they bother? Because every single time someone posts on here, or any of the multiple other places on social media or real life where people chat, it raises awareness of the JL brand.

TitilatedOcelot · 09/11/2023 08:14

I liked it. The song is an original, sung by Andrea Bocelli. Makes a nice change from the syrupy slowed down covers.

www.heart.co.uk/showbiz/tv-movies/john-lewis-christmas-advert-song-andrea-bocelli-festa/

RandomUserName11 · 09/11/2023 08:16

lol at 'why do they bother?' Grin

Notonthestairs · 09/11/2023 08:21

I liked it and thought the music was quite jolly.

It's a 60?90? second advert for a shop. I don't need Netflix series level storytelling.

It's also reminded me DD wants headphones so it's done its job.

MainlyOnThePlain · 09/11/2023 08:21

10/10 JL stars for the napkins at the table, though.

Wherethewildthymeblows · 09/11/2023 08:24

I liked it. My eyes slightly dampened at one point. What I didnt like was the music. Bring back the breathy syrupy tunes.

Dartmoorcheffy · 09/11/2023 08:26

Rubbish and nowhere near as good as previous years.

TurkeyTrotToXmas · 09/11/2023 08:28

It's really weird. But I had some tears when the plant got kicked out. I'm not sure I like it, but it might grow on me.

I don't miss those rubbish, breathy covers though.

LittleMonks11 · 09/11/2023 08:31

The plant getting kicked out taps into people's feelings of rejection. Manipulation marketing. It would work even better if it was a snaggle toothed puppy or kitten.

mondaytosunday · 09/11/2023 08:35

I liked it! The bear and the rabbit one though - never top that. Man in the moon - ugh.

Mummy2823 · 09/11/2023 08:35

Just went and watched it on YouTube 😂

It starts off like a normal John Lewis advert, then the middle is just bizarre!!
Then ending goes back to a sweet John Lewis ad when he takes the present out so the tree isn't on his own 😂 then that awful music starts again!

Growlybear83 · 09/11/2023 08:36

I think the advert itself is lovely but I hate the music.

Coastalcreeksider · 09/11/2023 08:36

I saw it earlier on the Daily Mail (sorry about that) site. Not keen on the music although I have a friend who loves Andrea Boccelli so she'll probably like it.

It was ok, I'm not a fan of the syrupy ads they normally use particularly with the hideous versions of best selling songs from the past by dreary singers.

I still like the boxer dog and the trampoline ad the best, made me laugh and wasn't a tear jerker.

DreamItDoIt · 09/11/2023 08:36

Oh dear, awful. I always think to myself that a whole load of JL execs would have sat in a room with a load of marketing luvvies to whom they had paid ££££ to be presented with this. I would be thinking wtf!

I don't understand the message 'let your traditions grow' - what planting a new seed each year and seeing what plant you get? And why is the song about 'pesto' 🤣

Lastly that Venus Fly trap would be unlikely to survive a hard frost line that, misleading advertising 🎅!

DoktorPeppa · 09/11/2023 08:37

The ads are becoming really formulaic and just a parody of themselves now.

BeforetheFlood · 09/11/2023 08:45

Jeepers.

I guess that now everyone else has jumped on the 'poignant song remix/ heart wrenching story-with-message' bandwagon they've decided to change tack completely. Which I kind of get - in a crowded market the best thing to do to get noticed is set up a different sort of stall doing something else. But I can't say I like the advert AT ALL, and I think they need to be mindful about balancing 'new and different' with trashing the things people really value about their brand.

In previous years I've watched the JL advert through a couple of times at least when it first comes out, to get all the details, and we always have a 'ooh look - JL ad!' moment when it comes on the TV. I have no desire to see this one again all Christmas, thanks very much.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.