My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

From present ideas to party food, find all your Christmas inspiration here.

Christmas

John Lewis Ad

173 replies

RainbowZebraWarrior · 09/11/2023 07:18

Erm.

Different.

No breathy singing and tear jerker this year.

Anyone else seen it?

OP posts:
Redlorryyellowlorryblue · 09/11/2023 08:49

Just awful! I hated the music too.

My favourite ad was the little boy waiting to give his gift to his parents. That one made me cry.

BitOutOfPractice · 09/11/2023 08:50

Well that’s…erm…odd!

Majorityofthree23 · 09/11/2023 08:51

Loved it!

JustACountryMusicGirlInCowboyBoots · 09/11/2023 08:51

Pile of shite.

TheFairyCaravan · 09/11/2023 08:53

It’s awful. Who wants their Christmas presents spat at them by a whopping Venus Fly Trap?

I did like the music though.

Eggandcresssandwich · 09/11/2023 08:54

Just watched it.what a weird annoying little advert.

MechyMagic · 09/11/2023 08:55

The ad is kinda cute actually but wtf is the music and the slogan doesn't match!

Definitely nowhere near as good as previous years I need Kevin!

Crabble · 09/11/2023 08:57

Redlorryyellowlorryblue · 09/11/2023 08:49

Just awful! I hated the music too.

My favourite ad was the little boy waiting to give his gift to his parents. That one made me cry.

I honestly think that advert - “gifts you can’t wait to give” is genius, I can’t really think of any better advert by anyone. It still makes me cry now. I also loved Monty the penguin.

This one does nothing for me, but I liked that they used a single parent family. I think it could have worked better with music to tug the heart strings than the very weird operatic choice they used

DwightDFlysenhower · 09/11/2023 08:58

When they bring it back in and can't find the dog on Boxing Day they'll be less sure...

OhFFS! · 09/11/2023 08:59

I like it, But I like weird.

BeforetheFlood · 09/11/2023 09:01

On the upside, I like that it was a female-centric, non-nuclear family. And northern!

ReadyForPumpkins · 09/11/2023 09:02

I liked it. DH and I laughed so hard. It's funny.

RedRiverShore4 · 09/11/2023 09:03

I liked it, but it wasn't crying fodder which was good

bruffin · 09/11/2023 09:05

piscofrisco · 09/11/2023 07:41

I actually really like it! Makes a change from the usual massacre of a decent song and I found it quite cheery.

I really liked it as well, i had a silly grin on my face by the end. Although i did wonder if it was going to go Little Shop of Horrors and eat the puppy!

LostCats · 09/11/2023 09:05

I loved it. Super different. And I loved the non-nuclear family.
Although one does wonder for the dog 😆

CorylusAgain · 09/11/2023 09:08

Didn't do anything for me. Not poignant. Not funny, not even particularly informative about products they sell and I didn't understand the lyrics which was frustrating.
But - I watched it and I'm talking about it so they've succeeded I suppose.

ihavebecomecomfortablynumb · 09/11/2023 09:09

It’s completely bonkers, more a Little Shop of Horrors than Christmas.

JCWiatt · 09/11/2023 09:09

Awful and not at all Christmassy. With everything that's going on in the world a message around a simple Christmas, simple traditions and maybe making new ones would fit perfectly. A blinkin' venus fly trap does not conjure up any emotions for Christmas. They won't be getting my Christmas pounds!

AlohaRose · 09/11/2023 09:09

DwightDFlysenhower · 09/11/2023 08:58

When they bring it back in and can't find the dog on Boxing Day they'll be less sure...

😂

PennyPinkPineapple · 09/11/2023 09:09

LittleMonks11 · 09/11/2023 07:47

It's an illness. Please show some compassion for the John Lewis Christmas Advert Criers.

JLCAC is a real disease, and it's nice to have a year off to be honest 🪰🥀

senua · 09/11/2023 09:10

I guess that now everyone else has jumped on the 'poignant song remix/ heart wrenching story-with-message' bandwagon they've decided to change tack completely. Which I kind of get - in a crowded market the best thing to do to get noticed is set up a different sort of stall doing something else.
Except that M&S seem to be working on the same logic, so both shops are doing the same kind of different.Grin

Having said that, I don't understand what M&S are trying to do at the moment. They have one advert which is "let's break the rules" along side the food advert which is the traditional "best Christmas eva!!!!" Hedging their bets, eh?Hmm

LittleMonks11 · 09/11/2023 09:15

😂 @PennyPinkPineapple I might not cry when I see it again. Baby steps.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

LNY1986 · 09/11/2023 09:21

Just watched the advert.
It sounded like a Dolmio advert.
The tree thing reminded me of Crash Bandicoot.

Not at all Christmasy.

Nagado · 09/11/2023 09:23

I quite like it. It’s not as good as the dog on the trampoline (that was genius), but a million times better than that creepy old man on the moon or the alien in the woods. And it’s definitely more memorable than the bloke on the skateboard. And I think it will appeal to children as well (what child is not going to want a Venus fly trap after seeing that ad?) so they’ll be able to flog all the old crap that goes with it, which they haven’t been able to do for a few years. It’s quite clever.

Emmacb82 · 09/11/2023 09:25

I feel like I watched a different advert to everyone else! I really liked it and the kids thought it was funny. It still made me cry 😳 but that might be the pregnancy hormones! I guess it’s become such a huge deal every year now that they will struggle to please everyone. Monty will always be my fave tho.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.