My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

From present ideas to party food, find all your Christmas inspiration here.

Christmas

John Lewis Ad

173 replies

RainbowZebraWarrior · 09/11/2023 07:18

Erm.

Different.

No breathy singing and tear jerker this year.

Anyone else seen it?

OP posts:
Potaitapotartaproata · 10/11/2023 02:49

He didn't say please when he asked his nan for it.

Funderthighs · 10/11/2023 08:09

@Potaitapotartaproata I noticed that too and it really grated on me.

ilovebrie8 · 10/11/2023 08:12

It’s a Xmas ad …stop nitpicking

KnittedCardi · 10/11/2023 08:22

Well I loved it. It is different, finally, thank God, to all the sentimental and traditional we have endured for years, which, don't get me wrong, Ed great, but then got too formulaic.

It made me laugh. The music is fun, it's quirky, it's different. I also like the M&S add, but this is way better, with a similar message of do your own thing.

senua · 10/11/2023 08:42

a similar message of do your own thing.
Ha! I don't need the instruction / permission of a supermarket to do that!!
But then I've never succumbed to the order to create The Perfect Christmas, either. I try to do a nice one but aiming for perfection is asking for trouble.

TisTheSeasonToLebkuchen · 10/11/2023 08:45

he should have just been the family Christmas tree for the duration of the advert

I thought that too. I was waiting for him to be all blinged up.

JustGotToKeepOnKeepingOn · 10/11/2023 08:57

I liked it.

MavisMcMinty · 10/11/2023 13:48

It made me cry, FFS! I’m so manipulatable.

DiscoBeat · 10/11/2023 14:00

The music was really annoying on just one viewing, and I was watching it on my phone and thought the flytrap ate the dog at first! Happy with the ad but definitely not the music!!

lollipoprainbow · 10/11/2023 18:28

I've surcumbed and got the flytrap plushy from Waitrose !!

RainbowZebraWarrior · 10/11/2023 18:32

lollipoprainbow · 10/11/2023 18:28

I've surcumbed and got the flytrap plushy from Waitrose !!

Oh crikey. I've got a Waitrose order coming tomorrow and I have to go in and edit it now. I'm going to end up with one for DD I can just feel it.

OP posts:
Growlybear83 · 10/11/2023 18:33

There's a plush plant?!! 😮😮😮. That's my Saturday afternoon sorted then!

TheMousePipes · 10/11/2023 20:30

I saw the plush plants today - 100% will be purchasing for dd!

GoodOldEmmaNess · 11/11/2023 06:44

I've finally seen the ad now and I liked it. I thought the vibe was 'yes, this whole christmas thing is getting ridiculous but we might as well have some fun with it before it is shoved into the back garden like an overgrown houseplant'

And it did give the sentimental payoff despite being so flipping weird.

Didn't like the music, though.

Dolphinnoises · 11/11/2023 06:50

I hated it - but then I have a massive inbuilt disgust response to Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors to the extent that I couldn’t get on board with the Tweenies because they had the same shaped heads.

But my own stuff aside - how on earth could they have gone from the beautiful skateboard advert to this?!

ColonelOfTruth · 11/11/2023 06:56

I absolutely love it! Quirky and rousing! I love JL and this is the best ad yet.

GoodOldEmmaNess · 11/11/2023 07:14

There is a genuinely sad downside to the ad: Loads of kids will be given real Venus flytraps and almost all of them will die because it is hard to get their care right.
I care a bit about these poor plants, but a lot about the sad kids. They will have the horrible experience of seeing their little plant thrown out, without the joyful turnaround that the advert provides. Chistmas mythology meets Christmas reality.

RedRiverShore4 · 11/11/2023 08:12

edited because on wrong board

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER · 11/11/2023 10:21

Given the eventual size of that Venus fly trap, I’m surprised it didn’t end up eating a pet budgie, or even one of those tiddly little fashion-accessory dogs that some people like to carry around in their handbags.

That would certainly have been a Christmas ad with a difference! 😈

RainbowZebraWarrior · 11/11/2023 10:25

GoodOldEmmaNess · 11/11/2023 07:14

There is a genuinely sad downside to the ad: Loads of kids will be given real Venus flytraps and almost all of them will die because it is hard to get their care right.
I care a bit about these poor plants, but a lot about the sad kids. They will have the horrible experience of seeing their little plant thrown out, without the joyful turnaround that the advert provides. Chistmas mythology meets Christmas reality.

Yes, my DD said this (11 yrs old, Autistic and pedantic as they come) I showed her the ad thinking she might like the fact its a bit different. Nope, she went on a right rant about how irresponsible it was when the kid was poking the juvenile plant and how you aren't supposed to do that. (And then went into the reasons why)

I'd still love to know what ideas were scrapped and why this one won over any others. But then I'm just nosy.

OP posts:
PansyP · 14/11/2023 09:40

I thought it was bloody brilliant. Admittedly after the first time i was a bit WTF? Then it totally grew on me, and I love the music! Defo getting a Venus flytrap for the kids too.

lollipoprainbow · 14/11/2023 12:42

PansyP · 14/11/2023 09:40

I thought it was bloody brilliant. Admittedly after the first time i was a bit WTF? Then it totally grew on me, and I love the music! Defo getting a Venus flytrap for the kids too.

Loved the quirkiness of it !

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

Janeaustensquill · 17/11/2023 18:04

Hated it the first time - now I can’t stop watching it!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.