My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

From present ideas to party food, find all your Christmas inspiration here.

Christmas

John Lewis Ad

173 replies

RainbowZebraWarrior · 09/11/2023 07:18

Erm.

Different.

No breathy singing and tear jerker this year.

Anyone else seen it?

OP posts:
DinosaurOfFire · 09/11/2023 09:25

I also got weepy at the poor rejected plant, and then happy that it was allowed to be a Christmas tree.

But... then it ate the gifts? And was eyeing up the pet dog? And is a walking large carnivorous plant that can move about? Bizarre. And very much not Christmassy, but I guess it'll get people talking about it!

Chersfrozenface · 09/11/2023 09:26

Replace the evergreen tree, symbol of the continuation of life in the dead of winter, with a giant version of a plant that kills living creatures.

Can someone parse the meaning of that for me?

PennyPinkPineapple · 09/11/2023 09:28

LittleMonks11 · 09/11/2023 09:15

😂 @PennyPinkPineapple I might not cry when I see it again. Baby steps.

I'm now on YouTube watching reruns of the golden years (2011 to 2017), and my JLCAC is suddenly really bad 😭😂

Nagado · 09/11/2023 09:30

DinosaurOfFire · 09/11/2023 09:25

I also got weepy at the poor rejected plant, and then happy that it was allowed to be a Christmas tree.

But... then it ate the gifts? And was eyeing up the pet dog? And is a walking large carnivorous plant that can move about? Bizarre. And very much not Christmassy, but I guess it'll get people talking about it!

It didn’t eat the gifts, it shredded off the packaging, spat the gifts back out at the family and used the packaging to create a confetti fountain.

It did definitely want to eat the dog though 😁

BeeCucumber · 09/11/2023 09:32

What on earth have I just watched?

YourNameGoesHere · 09/11/2023 09:33

BeeCucumber · 09/11/2023 09:32

What on earth have I just watched?

That seems to be quite a standard response to the advert. It left me with a very what the fuck was that feeling.

ValuableLimeLesson · 09/11/2023 09:42

I really liked it! I especially like the idea of feeding your wrapped presents into a tree than that projectile vomits them back to you, without the paper.

I was concerned for the flytrap out in the cold, though.

TidyDancer · 09/11/2023 09:43

It's a weird choice. I didn't hate it but it's bizarre.

The problem with John Lewis is that they will never beat Buster the boxer no matter what they pull out of the bag. There's been the odd good one since but nowhere near Buster level of good and now I think they've given up trying.

I'd like to see what ideas got rejected this year though if this is the best they could come up with.

The Amazon one with the older ladies sledging is the best I've seen this year.

senua · 09/11/2023 09:43

Chersfrozenface · 09/11/2023 09:26

Replace the evergreen tree, symbol of the continuation of life in the dead of winter, with a giant version of a plant that kills living creatures.

Can someone parse the meaning of that for me?

Also: the flytrap - the best bit of the day, the one that taught them the true meaning of Christmas™ - was the one bit that wasn't bought from JL. That's a bit of an own goal!

Or was it: if you don't want your Christmas to go off the rails and turn a bit scary then stick with good old JL.

Who knows?

MirandaWest · 09/11/2023 09:46

I quite liked that 😊

Nothing will ever beat Monty the Penguin for me though.

BeforetheFlood · 09/11/2023 09:49

Also: the flytrap - the best bit of the day, the one that taught them the true meaning of Christmas™ - was the one bit that wasn't bought from JL. That's a bit of an own goal!

Yes, it was definitely more interesting than the generic JL gifts! And I'd far rather do my Christmas shopping in the kind of flea market where he found it than soulless, spendy John Lewis. (I like to think that the Gran was buying lovely eccentric presents while the little boy was browsing on his own.)

RedRiverShore4 · 09/11/2023 09:51

John Lewis are selling the flytrap, it's £10.

PawPrintsInMyPansies · 09/11/2023 09:52

Oh yeah. Love the Amazon one.

YourNameGoesHere · 09/11/2023 09:54

RedRiverShore4 · 09/11/2023 09:51

John Lewis are selling the flytrap, it's £10.

They are indeed. The list of merchandise is as bonkers as the blooming advert. £30 for a toy dog!

• Plush plant - £18
  • Mini Plush Bauble - £10
  • Printed Bauble - £6
  • Tote Bag - £6
  • Chocolate - £6.50
  • Boxed Biscuit - £4.50
  • Kids Pyjamas - £19
  • Adult Pyjamas from - £34
  • Snapper Slippers - £18
  • Real Venus Flytrap Plant - £10
  • Christmas Card with Seeds - £3
  • Pomeranian Plush - £30
  • Children’s Story Book - £9.99
TisTheSeasonToLebkuchen · 09/11/2023 09:55

I am a Christmas puritan. What the eff has a Venus fly trap got to do with Christmas? Also, thanks for clearing up it was Andrea Bocelli, as all the way through that ad I had "Go Compare" trying to force itself to the front.

These ads do have an effect on my purchases. I want to see a portly Father Christmas, flying round the world with Rudolf, giving presents to people. Or, a snowman with a dilemma. These are the companies that are going to flatline my credit card.

PepeLePugh · 09/11/2023 10:00

I didn't mind the actual advert itself as I feel it is time for a change from the schmaltzy formula they have been wheeling out for the last decade....

....however the music choice was terrible! It was so odd and did not fit the advert at all and completely ruined it.

roibustea · 09/11/2023 10:03

I actually like it, poor plant :(

Don't much like the music though, and can't imagine who'd want to buy it as a single!

And I've realised I'd actually rather like a fluffy venus fly trap, which isn't something I'd ever really considered before... So as an advert I'd say it works!

roibustea · 09/11/2023 10:07

MirandaWest · 09/11/2023 09:46

I quite liked that 😊

Nothing will ever beat Monty the Penguin for me though.

Yep, still my fave :)

Whatineed · 09/11/2023 10:09

I loved it, I thought it was hilarious.

WarmWinterSun · 09/11/2023 10:12

I like it! I thought it was fun and festive. I’m a bit over the soppy ones trying to make us cry.

RandomUserName11 · 09/11/2023 10:41

I should feel embarrassed but I don't. Could have been worse - could have been the huge cuddly one Grin

John Lewis Ad
Pinkpinkpink15 · 09/11/2023 10:50

FitAt50 · 09/11/2023 07:29

They changed the agency who do all their Christmas adverts. This one is awful and I predict lots of backlash.

Well that was a big bloody mistake then wasn't it!!

I bet the ex agency is celebrating!,

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

Pinkpinkpink15 · 09/11/2023 10:55

Well, that was assuming all the whinging on here & on the radio was correct.

I just watched it & I like it!!

hes not 'eating all the presents'. Nor is he scary!

it's a typical heart strings, JL Advert & I like it.

LadyBird1973 · 09/11/2023 10:58

I think it's lovely. I laughed when the plant tried to eat the dog! And I got tearful when it felt sad.

LadyBird1973 · 09/11/2023 11:04

Thinking about it, the messaging is spot on for a Christmas ad - ugly annoying things relatives deserve love too, Christmas doesn't have to look perfect, it's not about having the perfect tree etc (ironic given that JL exists to sell us 'perfect'), that you can't falsely manufacture a perfect Christmas because the perfection is in the natural evolution of your own family's traditions (again ironic given that shops exist to sell you aspiration).

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.