My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Lexi? (Not Alexa?)

76 replies

jewellyette · 20/11/2023 17:22

I really like Lexi as a baby name for DD2. (DD1 is Anna).
I had a great aunt 'Lex', so it's kind of a family name.

I'd have originally used Alexa as a full name... but don't want to for obvious Amazon-y reasons.

I just don't love Alexandra / Alexis / Alexia.

Is Lexi too casual on it's own? Is it weird with Anna?

Is there anything else it could be short for that I might actually like?!

OP posts:
jewellyette · 20/11/2023 17:25

I actually do really love Alexa so massively annoyed at Amazon for ruining it! 😭

OP posts:
slugseverywhere · 20/11/2023 18:04

Ahh I love Alexandra shortened to Alex.

I don't like Lexi I'm afraid but who cares what I and others think. If you like it and like you say, has the family connection then go for it! Anna and Lexi do go together I'd say!

gotomomo · 20/11/2023 18:06

Fine as a nickname but I'd opt for a formal full name which gives options later in life, Alexandra is the most obvious,

SoSad44 · 20/11/2023 18:08

No definitely not. She might later want a more formal name and not be Lexi forever.

SoSad44 · 20/11/2023 18:08

Alexandra? Much classier than Lexi

Plankingplanks · 20/11/2023 18:08

I have a Lex, everyone asked me why I didn't call them Alex or Alexander, personally I don't see the point of giving a child a name that you aren't going to call them.

If in the future they don't like the short version they can just as easily add an A to the beginning as you can take it off.

Call them what you want them to be called, not what you think others think you should call them.

Fixesplease · 20/11/2023 18:09

Lexi was on my list when pregnant.. however my other half ruined it by reminding me to think about nicknames in secondary school... thus Sexy Lexi was a no. Sorry!

Barleysugar86 · 20/11/2023 18:10

Lexi isn't a full name to me, and I think you'd be doing your child a disservice giving them a nickname without a more formal name. I feel like it fails the serious work test. Personally I think Alexis and Alexandria are lovely. We have a Millie just started at our work now and I can't see it as a name that could ever make senior management or CEO, but she has no other version to use.

Plankingplanks · 20/11/2023 18:13

Barleysugar86 · 20/11/2023 18:10

Lexi isn't a full name to me, and I think you'd be doing your child a disservice giving them a nickname without a more formal name. I feel like it fails the serious work test. Personally I think Alexis and Alexandria are lovely. We have a Millie just started at our work now and I can't see it as a name that could ever make senior management or CEO, but she has no other version to use.

That's ridiculous, she could use Amelia or any number of other names that Millie is a derivative of. Although I can't understand why she would want to use a name that isn't hers. I think it says more about you not seeing it as a senior management name than it does the person and their name.

Strawberrycheesecake7 · 20/11/2023 18:13

I’m not a fan of it personally. I don’t mind it as a nickname for Alexandra or similar but it’s not very classy/professional sounding on its own.

genesis92 · 20/11/2023 18:16

I actually do really love Alexa so massively annoyed at Amazon for ruining it! 😭

Yep me too. Soooo annoyed. I would have loved to use it 🙁

HardcoreLadyType · 20/11/2023 18:17

I have only ever known one Lexi, and she was Alexia.

Lexi doesn’t seem like a real name to me - but I’m not a fan of nicknames as names. But that’s just me.

FloweryName · 20/11/2023 18:19

I’d give her the option of using Alexandra to use if she wants it when she’s older. You can still specify that she is called Lexi everywhere.

jewellyette · 20/11/2023 18:27

I hate Alexandra 😭 Have a cousin with that name who would gleefully declare that baby was named after her.

And regardless, I just don't like the name.

Also do think that with my surname, a short first name is required.

OP posts:
Sandysandwich · 20/11/2023 18:44

I know a woman called Lexa, and she was often called Lexi
You could maybe get Lexi from Electra?

crimewatcher · 20/11/2023 18:56

Lexi is a strippers name. So trashy.

jewellyette · 20/11/2023 19:03

Plankingplanks · 20/11/2023 18:08

I have a Lex, everyone asked me why I didn't call them Alex or Alexander, personally I don't see the point of giving a child a name that you aren't going to call them.

If in the future they don't like the short version they can just as easily add an A to the beginning as you can take it off.

Call them what you want them to be called, not what you think others think you should call them.

Lex is actually lovely! May add to boys list!

OP posts:
Whiskerson · 20/11/2023 19:08

I think Lexi is a particularly nicknamey looking nickname, and I do think it conjures up a certain image (sorry). The "i" ending doesn't help - Lexie would be a little better. I also find it slightly dated, as trendy names can be - I think it's had its day in the sun maybe a decade ago.

Next to Anna, I'd assume Lexi was short for something like Alexandra.

Magicisuponus · 20/11/2023 19:12

I like the name Lexi, but can see it looks a bit too nicknamey for some.
As a pp said , Lexa is less nicknamey so could be a nice compromise. It’s quite funcky sounding anyway

wafflingworrier · 20/11/2023 19:17

Agree with other posters, seeing Lexi is the first thing she will get called by abhorrent people
Also lexi reminds me of lexus as in car...I don't know, its just not a name to me somehow.
With most regional accents it sounds ghastly

Wahwoo · 20/11/2023 19:19

I have always liked Alexeena, and only ever come across one.

Confusion101 · 20/11/2023 19:34

Mumsnet notoriously despises shortened names as names! You won't get much positive feedback here at all! I'm a teacher and despise this "my name is Elizabeth on the register but my parents have called me Beth from day one" shit so much prefer names to just be what you will use. I think Lexi is a lovely name. I really like 2 syllable names with Anna aswell, think they go really well together.

Talkingtothecat247 · 20/11/2023 19:47

genesis92 · 20/11/2023 18:16

Yep me too. Soooo annoyed. I would have loved to use it 🙁

I wouldn't let it put you off using it in favour of a robot.
It's been a lovely name since way before that annoying thing came along.

If the robot answers to your daughter's name, just tell it to "Shut up! I wasn't talking to you! You're not the only Alexa around here you know!" or better still just throw it out the window, and ask Siri instead.

toastofthetown · 20/11/2023 19:47

I prefer Lex as a full name to Lexi. I wouldn't want to be called Lexi, and since you asked I don't think it works with a sister called Anna. The only other name which I can think of you haven't mentioned is Alexina. She was great on Masterchef a few years ago.

KirstenBlest · 20/11/2023 19:48

Put Alexa on the BC. Alexa the gadget might be history in a few years' time.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.