My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

A few names I like that my husband doesn't, are they really that bad?

152 replies

caitlinrose · 14/09/2022 11:09

First of all, these names are off our list because I respect that my husband doesn't like them.

I'm still curious to hear what people think of them. These are the ones my husband absolutely hated and I'd like to know if other people think they are that bad or if some people here like them.

Agatha - this was a favourite of mine
Astrid - he said it's easy to tease someone with (I personally find it stylish)
Elsa - he said it was a cow's name and old lady. A pity because this is a longtime favourite of mine
Agnes - he disliked the sound
Gwendolyn - he said it was clunky
Gwenllian - he found it weird, to me it is a historical name that sounds like Gwen + Lillian so easily explainable

So what are your thoughts on Agatha, Astrid, Elsa, Agnes, Gwendolyn and Gwenllian?

My husband and I have really different styles. I like classic names, quite a few eccentric names and some nature names. He is mainly into trendy names and some names that I guess could be called a bit dated. But we still managed to find some names we both like.

OP posts:
Jins · 15/09/2022 11:35

@KirstenBlest I like Myfanwy as well but the way that gets mangled put it off my list.

I had boys so it became irrelevant in the end

KirstenBlest · 15/09/2022 12:15

Myfanwy seems very dated to me. Needed to meet up with a Myfanwy recently. Got there, and she was out. I asked her partner if he was her son. BlushI'd just not associated the name with anyone under retirement age.
A friend told me she thought Miffanway was a lovely name.
I can't not think of the song.

Jins · 15/09/2022 13:10

The song is a problem. It is a dated name but it flows with our surname and got stuck in my head.
Miffanway has put me off. Thank you

KirstenBlest · 15/09/2022 13:45

The song is beautiful @Jins , Paham y dicter, o Myfanwy?
If you like it, use it.
Aeronwy might be an alternative. (think Dylan T. made it up but not sure)

Most welsh names get mangled. Try them on here and get told how ugly/clunky/made up they are.

Pixiedust1234 · 15/09/2022 13:52

@KirstenBlest oops, you are correct Blush

Titsflyingsouth · 15/09/2022 13:52

I don't like any of them tbh, they sound frumpy

Jins · 15/09/2022 13:56

The song was a problem because we were going to use it in honour of my Dad (his favourite song) but we ended up having it at his funeral before DS1 was born. More DC unlikely now but Aeronwy is rather lovely. The girls names we ended up shortlisting were Siriol and Iona but would probably have rethought both

KirstenBlest · 15/09/2022 14:01

Siriol is lovely. I know so many Ionas that it just seems middle aged, sorry. Might be due a comeback though and it's usually for a January-born DD.

Jins · 15/09/2022 14:09

It was a while ago now. The main driver was pronunciation and the family could manage both.

Dreamingcats · 15/09/2022 14:20

Loathe Agatha and Agnes. The Ag sound is horrible to me. I hate Angus too.

I like Astrid and Gwendoline. Elsa is ok. I don't know how to pronounce Gwenllian but in my head it sounds reptilian.

KirstenBlest · 15/09/2022 14:55

but in my head it sounds reptilian.
Grin Gwentilian?

RealityTV · 15/09/2022 15:32

@caitlinrose, these are some very undesirable names! Agatha? That's an old lady's name! Astrid is nice, but your names sound like you're stuck in the 50s or 60s. I mean you no disrespect, but these are horrible. Astrid & Elsa are the only good ones. Try something in this decade!

Astrid
Elsa
Emma
Olivia
Ava
Anna
Alexandria
Brenda
Victoria
Catherine
Milla
Arianna

MothsAndWaspsAreUsefulPollinators · 15/09/2022 18:35

A good set of names, mostly classic without being overused or excessively "old fashioned" sounding, IMO.

Agatha - I like it but and obviously Agatha Christie and latterly Agatha Raisin are very well known people/characters. I can see why it's not everyone's cup of tea, somehow.

Astrid - okay, makes me think of, can't think what the problem would be in terms of being made fun of?

Elsa - some people will think of a cow (although for me that's Elsie and doesn't put me off the name Elsie any more than I'm put off already), many will think of Elsa from Frozen, and for the older generation there is also Elsa the lion. In it's own right, quite a good name IMO.

Agnes - I am not keen on this name, doesn't have a nice sound or rhythm to it

Gwendolyn - I quite like it

Gwenllian - okay but hard to pronounce properly for anyone who isn't Welsh-speaking Welsh. I had a neighbour called this (but universally, Gwen).

MothsAndWaspsAreUsefulPollinators · 15/09/2022 18:36

*makes me think of Pippi Longstocking

Blowyourowntrumpet · 15/09/2022 18:36

I don't like any of them. Sorry

MothsAndWaspsAreUsefulPollinators · 15/09/2022 18:41

Miffanway

Not clear if it's your friend who thinks it is pronounced like this, or you. It very definitely isn't but of course we're not all Welsh speakers so it's understandable. A single f is a 'v' sound in Welsh, for a start. (Although as Welsh names go, it's not one of my favourites.)

MothsAndWaspsAreUsefulPollinators · 15/09/2022 18:54

Gwendolyn - I've met at least a couple of people called this and both pronounced it GWEN-duh-lin. This might be an Anglicisation, not sure. But it does seem to be the common international pronunciation if the internet is to be believed.

KirstenBlest · 15/09/2022 19:14

@MothsAndWaspsAreUsefulPollinators , yes it is. It's an anglicisation of Gwendolen, which is welsh. In Welsh, the stress always falls on the penultimate syllable. Gwendolen is Gwen-DOL-en.

GoldenSpiral · 15/09/2022 20:49

I agree with all of your husband's feedback. I'd also add in that Elsa is obviously from Frozen and would probably get 'let it go' said a lot to her!

Ratched · 15/09/2022 21:01

I've surprised myself by actually nodding along to Agatha. I like it!
But there again, had I had a girl rather than a second son, I desperately wanted to call her Mabel.
So perhaps I shouldn't have an opinion😅

DianaBarry5 · 15/09/2022 21:43

Agree with husband, sorry

CaffiSaliMali · 16/09/2022 12:39

Gwenllian is beautiful when you hear a native Welsh speaker say it. See also Esyllt, Eirlys and Rhys.

Agree Gwendolen is Gwen-DOL-en. Gwendoline and Gwendolyn are anglicisations.

I actually really like Astrid and Elsa. I know a little Astrid and went to Uni with a lovely Elsa (pre frozen).

Sabrina is fabulous, pick that!

soulinablackberrypie · 21/09/2022 10:28

I like Astrid and I don't dislike Elsa, Gwendolyn (prefer the Gwendoline spelling if you're not in Wales) and Agatha. Is Elsa from frozen still a "thing"? My children were too old for us to get caught up in all that and I genuinely don't know whether your future baby's classmates would be likely to think of it.

DacwMamYnDwad · 21/09/2022 16:02

@soulinablackberrypie , Gwendolyn is not a Welsh version of Gwendoline. Both are anglicisations of the welsh name Gwendolen, which has the stress on the last-but-one syllable. The -yn ending in Welsh is masculine.

Elsa is definitely a thing.

S25 · 01/10/2022 11:41

considering your style of names what about Genevieve? I think it’s quite pretty, very classic and choice of nn Gen, Vieve, Vi, Vivi etc

similarly Vivienne?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.