My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

A few names I like that my husband doesn't, are they really that bad?

152 replies

caitlinrose · 14/09/2022 11:09

First of all, these names are off our list because I respect that my husband doesn't like them.

I'm still curious to hear what people think of them. These are the ones my husband absolutely hated and I'd like to know if other people think they are that bad or if some people here like them.

Agatha - this was a favourite of mine
Astrid - he said it's easy to tease someone with (I personally find it stylish)
Elsa - he said it was a cow's name and old lady. A pity because this is a longtime favourite of mine
Agnes - he disliked the sound
Gwendolyn - he said it was clunky
Gwenllian - he found it weird, to me it is a historical name that sounds like Gwen + Lillian so easily explainable

So what are your thoughts on Agatha, Astrid, Elsa, Agnes, Gwendolyn and Gwenllian?

My husband and I have really different styles. I like classic names, quite a few eccentric names and some nature names. He is mainly into trendy names and some names that I guess could be called a bit dated. But we still managed to find some names we both like.

OP posts:
inappropriateraspberry · 14/09/2022 11:40

I like Gwendolyn, but would prob spell it Gwendoline. The others are all a bit clunky and Elsa will always be Frozen!

Acunningruse · 14/09/2022 11:41

Not keen on your list sorry.
How about:

Nina
Lydia
Eleanor
Heather
Rachael
Hazel
Cecilia
Cecily

Love Esther as suggested by a PP

ArmWrestlingWithChasNDave · 14/09/2022 11:42

They're all horrible. I don't like this trend of giving babies names out of an Enid Blyton boarding school novel.

bodie1890 · 14/09/2022 11:42

The only one I like is Astrid.

What does he mean by being easy to tease with? Because of 'ass'? If so I don't actually think that's likely or a good reason not to choose it.

Elsa makes me think of Frozen and I think she would have everyone singing 'Let it go' at her!

The others sound dated to me and not in a nice 'classic' way, more sort of frumpy.

MintJulia · 14/09/2022 11:44

I've always liked Agnes which means Lamb, as in lamb of God, but it has yet to come back into fashion.
What about Athena? Classic for you but also quite trendy for yourDH.

ofwarren · 14/09/2022 11:44

I agree with your DH.
Elsa is probably the best but the Disney connection is far too strong.

FawnDrench · 14/09/2022 11:45

I'm afraid they all sound a bit "Geoffrey Chaucer" to me.

Mardyface · 14/09/2022 11:46

I could never use Gwendoline because of Malory Towers. But the rest are all right. The thing is that once the person is alive in the world the name becomes secondary I think because it means your lovely daughter!

I do think your H needs to work on his constructive criticism skills tbh. But of course you're right to ditch any name if either of you hate it.

ShedHead7 · 14/09/2022 11:48

My Nan was an Agnes, everyone called her Aggie, which is a word now used for when someone is wound up and snappy (Abv of aggravated)
I like most of the names, especially Martha, love that, but it's you and your husband that need to both like them, not us.

absolutelyanythingwilldo · 14/09/2022 11:49

Have to side with your DH here, I don't like any of them.

hattie43 · 14/09/2022 11:51

Sorry don't like any of your choices

Workawayxx · 14/09/2022 11:53

I really like Astrid and not massively into the others personally but they are classic and not awful imo. I know a few children named those names and they suit their names.

absolutelyanythingwilldo · 14/09/2022 11:54

Naming your child

Op, you may benefit from giving this a watch. Good advice here.

noclothesinbed · 14/09/2022 11:54

My opinion is that they are old lady names and I don't like them either

Peoplepissmeoff · 14/09/2022 11:55

I'm with your husband on this I'm afraid with the exception of the name Elsa. I probably still wouldn't use it though because of the connection with Frozen.

SleepingAgent · 14/09/2022 11:56

Talipesmum · 14/09/2022 11:18

Interesting list! I do think they’re potentially quite divisive names.

Just to be clear, if I met anyone with any of these names, I’d probably think my initial opinion of the name, then push it aside, and ignore it cos name assumptions are tedious and wrong. But we all have gut reactions and here’s mine:

Agatha - witch name
Astrid - nice, Swedish, tall, blond
Elsa - Frozen
Agnes - Also a witch name, old fashioned, likely to become popular again, maybe catholic (I get mixed up with Agnus Dei)
Gwendolyn - wimpy girl from Enid blyton stories, cries a lot.
Gwenllian - I’ve never heard this name before. I’d think a welsh name I’d not heard of if I heard it spoken out loud, or possibly yes a made up combination name if I saw it written down.

Yes pretty much all of this!

BaronessBomburst · 14/09/2022 11:56

Well I like all of them!
Not as keen on Elsa because of the Frozen connection.
I can pronounce Gwenlillian too, despite being English. Grin

BaronessBomburst · 14/09/2022 11:58

......unlike my autocorrect which has totally mangled it.
Gwenllian.

JustMaggie · 14/09/2022 12:07

I like all of them! My best friend in primary school was Agatha, but she went by Aggie.

MajorCarolDanvers · 14/09/2022 12:07

They are quite frilly names.

unicornglittersprinkles · 14/09/2022 12:11

I really like traditional names but, to me, all of your names (except Elsa) sound quite masculine and not at all pretty/feminine. Maybe that's ok with you but here are a few more along similar lines you may wish to consider

Edith
Mabel
Mathilda
Elsie
Evelyn

Anyfeckinusername · 14/09/2022 12:16

Our babysitter is Aggie… I went to school with twins called Astrid and Ingrid.

your names are GREAT. They have style and a bit of class.

And they all have potential for soft nicknames if you are so inclined.

my least favourite is Elsa.

Agnes is a grower but is probably marmite, the more I think of it the more I really really ike … And Aggie is cute. Would you use the accent? Agnès? Ínes in Portuguese!

jays · 14/09/2022 12:20

Genuinely don’t like any of them, feel old and frumpy and I can’t see them suiting a toddler, child, teen or young adult. Elsa at a push but they’re not for me.

Cherchezlaspice · 14/09/2022 12:25

Anyfeckinusername · 14/09/2022 12:16

Our babysitter is Aggie… I went to school with twins called Astrid and Ingrid.

your names are GREAT. They have style and a bit of class.

And they all have potential for soft nicknames if you are so inclined.

my least favourite is Elsa.

Agnes is a grower but is probably marmite, the more I think of it the more I really really ike … And Aggie is cute. Would you use the accent? Agnès? Ínes in Portuguese!

I LOVE Ines. I can’t do the accent. ☹️

Flubadubba · 14/09/2022 12:27

I have a daughter called Astrid (she is tall and blonde, but a pre-schooler... Plus I have a Scandinavian parent). Her friends have much more exotic names tbh!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.