My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

A few names I like that my husband doesn't, are they really that bad?

152 replies

caitlinrose · 14/09/2022 11:09

First of all, these names are off our list because I respect that my husband doesn't like them.

I'm still curious to hear what people think of them. These are the ones my husband absolutely hated and I'd like to know if other people think they are that bad or if some people here like them.

Agatha - this was a favourite of mine
Astrid - he said it's easy to tease someone with (I personally find it stylish)
Elsa - he said it was a cow's name and old lady. A pity because this is a longtime favourite of mine
Agnes - he disliked the sound
Gwendolyn - he said it was clunky
Gwenllian - he found it weird, to me it is a historical name that sounds like Gwen + Lillian so easily explainable

So what are your thoughts on Agatha, Astrid, Elsa, Agnes, Gwendolyn and Gwenllian?

My husband and I have really different styles. I like classic names, quite a few eccentric names and some nature names. He is mainly into trendy names and some names that I guess could be called a bit dated. But we still managed to find some names we both like.

OP posts:
georgarina · 15/09/2022 05:03

Oh God, team DH on this one, sorry
All the 'g' and 'd' sounds are just so harsh and not nice-sounding in my opinion
And Astrid has always been my least favourite name!
But obviously your choice, and you wouldn't go for my names

TeeBee · 15/09/2022 05:35

I'm with your husband. I don't like any of them.

aNewYorkerInLondon · 15/09/2022 05:48

To me, a lot of these names sound like future cool-girl names. Agatha, Astrid, Agnes, and Gwendolyn.

I used to know two sisters named Estelle and Emma. These were considered "old lady" names when they were born, but by the time they were young women they were so chic!

Elsa is an awesome name but totally ruined by Disney.

Gwenllian isn't great unless you're Wesh and pronounce it properly. This will lead to your daughter having to explain her name all the time, which stinks.

Better to be unique or ahead of a trend than be a follower.

LostInTheColonies · 15/09/2022 05:52

Astrid is lovely.

Gwenllian is lovely but is most definitely not even vaguely similar to Gwen-Lillian!
The first sound file on this page is pretty good

autienotnaughty · 15/09/2022 05:56

Love Agatha but not keen on the rest. Elsa is a nice name but so over done

lljkk · 15/09/2022 07:09

I am old so this is Elsa (and nice name otherwise). Not a cow!!

Would you like about Gillian (like Anderson) or Jacqueline (Onassis) ?

No info here about his favourites, so no info about where middle ground might be.

A few names I like that my husband doesn't, are they really that bad?
whereareyounoww · 15/09/2022 07:12

First of all, these names are off our list because I respect that my husband doesn't like them.

I'm still curious to hear what people think of them. These are the ones my husband absolutely hated and I'd like to know if other people think they are that bad or if some people here like them.

Elsa - he said it was a cow's name and old lady. A pity because this is a longtime favourite of mine
Gwenllian - he found it weird, to me it is a historical name that sounds like Gwen + Lillian so easily explainable

So what are your thoughts on Agatha, Astrid, Elsa, Agnes, Gwendolyn and Gwenllian?

My husband and I have really different styles. I like classic names, quite a few eccentric names and some nature names. He is mainly into trendy names and some names that I guess could be called a bit dated. But we still managed to find some names we both like.

Sorry to be harsh but I actually hate all of them. Some of them are actually laughably bad. Agatha?????

Hobbesmanc · 15/09/2022 07:17

Astrid is one of my favourite currently. Also Audrey.

Gwen is pretty apart from the Malory Towers connection. The rest Im not loving. Although I think Agnes will be back in fashion soon.

KirstenBlest · 15/09/2022 08:26

LostInTheColonies · 15/09/2022 05:52

Astrid is lovely.

Gwenllian is lovely but is most definitely not even vaguely similar to Gwen-Lillian!
The first sound file on this page is pretty good

I agree with LostInTheColonies about the pronunciation. It is spot on.

There is a lot of ignorance about Welsh names, the he found it weird, to me it is a historical name that sounds like Gwen + Lillian so easily explainable being case in point. That and some of the posts are bordering on offensive.

Jins · 15/09/2022 08:41

@KirstenBlest some of the pronunciation of Gwenllian on that link gave me quite a giggle but the first UK English version made me think of my mum who never managed the LL sound and substituted Thl whenever she came across it.

KirstenBlest · 15/09/2022 08:51

@Jins, I didn't listen to the other ones, but I have now.
The 'thl' instead of ll is bad.

Enid mentioned upthread is such a pretty name but the Eenid pronunciation is ghastly. It's Enn-id not Een-id

KirstenBlest · 15/09/2022 08:53

The english one is ok apart from the th.
I know a Gwenllian, and if the tells people her name, what they hear is 'Gwenthly Ann'. Ugh

Jins · 15/09/2022 09:02

I suppose it’s making an effort. It’s recognising the different sound is there and doing their best.

I prefer Clangothlen and Clanethly to Langollun and Lanelly and I guess I prefer Gwenthly-Ann to Gwenlian but most of all I’d prefer people to stop saying Welsh names sound made up

Hadtocomment · 15/09/2022 09:14

Gwenllian, I like. But I do think this one is very hard for a non-Welsh person to pronounce, not just correctly, but just approximately even! The LL is a sound you don't hear in English really. But I knew a Gwenllian and she didn't pronounce it with all the stress on the ee @GogLais . She was Welsh. Are there different ways of stressing it? I've noticed a lot of names when English speakers say them get stressed on the first syllable rather than second. I always think this about French names. They do sound nicer said the French way but the way the rhythms tend to go in English flattens it out and often stresses the first syllable. I would say though that so many on here get quite aggressive about Welsh names and not using them if not pronounced exactly the right way. And then a pile of other people come in from other bits of Wales saying they are pronounced differently in different bits of Wales anyway. Do you feel a name should never travel then? Because it seems to be (I'm half Welsh by the way) that when a culture travels even if it's not perfect (and maybe mildly irritating if people don't make an effort to try and get it right) it grows interest back into it. I'm thinking of lots of Irish names which are in common use maybe because there was such a massive diapora, sopeople don't tend to be quite as protective about these names being used (and often changing a little over time or in subtleties of pronunciation).

I actually really like Gwendolyn. Just because it was in Mallory Towers isn't the only association and only of people old enough to have read that obsessively. It's a strong and interesting name. Again, I don't see why the stress has to be on the dol. Of the others, I quite like Astrid and Agatha and Agnes both have character. Agnes was one of the most popular names of all time across all the centuries. Who knew? But it's fallen right out of favour hasn't it?

I like Elsa as I think of Elsa the lionness. But I imagine Disney has taken it over.

Who cares about pretty and feminine names? Do people never question the associations our society puts on women with names? So many are jewels and flowers and all about pretty things...It's great to get some that have a bit of character. People are always suggesting Imogen on here, because it's fashionable at the moment I suppose. But is it so different to Gwendolyn or Agatha? A name that people seem to be thinking of more and that is growing on me is Dorothy. That maybe fits here.

I'm getting images of go-getting early twentieth century women rolling up their shirtsleeves and showing they can do all the things the men hogged up til then. I quite like this association. They also seem a bit more fun than the more "royal" names someone else suggested.

Also I'm just interested to know what people mean by frumpy? Do they just mean of a different generation or something more?

KirstenBlest · 15/09/2022 09:18

I don't like the Cl either. Gwenly-un is better than Gwenthly Ann.

MN seems to love Carys, Bethan and Seren, none of which I particularly like.
And no thread on welsh names is complete without a -wen name misspelt as -wyn (or -win on this thread)

pilates · 15/09/2022 09:19

Sorry I agree with your husband.

NoYouSirName · 15/09/2022 09:25

I love your names!

Agatha - This isn’t my favourite. I think the ‘ag’ sound reminds me of hag!
Astrid - I love this
Elsa - Frozen. Let it go. Otherwise a lovely name.
Agnes - ok
Gwendolyn - lovely
Gwenllian - doesn’t sound like Gwen + Lillian at all as others have said. You’d need to be able to pronounce the ll sound. As a Welsh speaker the ending always reminds me of ‘lliain’ which is a dishcloth in Welsh!

NoYouSirName · 15/09/2022 09:26

Hadtocomment the emphasis is always on the penultimate syllable in Welsh.

Mwnci123 · 15/09/2022 09:27

I like them all. Would it be put off Elsa by Frozen, on the assumption that there might be buckets of them as a result. I like Agatha especially.

Gwenllian is not at all clunky as some
pp have said. It is one of my favourite names, though like @Jins it came off my list because the in-laws couldn't say it properly.

A lot of people who don't like them offer up name lists that I don't like. I hope you have an easier time finding common ground wit your dh on this!

Pixiedust1234 · 15/09/2022 09:31

First poster had it right. Frumpy. Waaayyyy beyond old fashioned.

Agatha - Agatha Christie the murder novelist
Elsa - the lioness, commonly a cat name now
Agnes - hard sounding imo
Gwendolyn- Wallace and Grommit fame, and cheese. She will get soooooo many cheese jokes

Gwenllian - never heard of but if you like Gwen, call her that. Its a nice name in its own right.
Astrid - never heard of it in mainstream schools, is that why he thinks she will be teased? I quite like it.

Jins · 15/09/2022 09:31

@KirstenBlest The wen - wyn misspelling is a MN speciality isn’t it? Also a list of suggestions for Welsh names that contain at least two Irish names.

I’m not keen on Carys although I do like Cerys, and Seren and Bethan is a bit meh. Recommendations for Cadi and Betsan seem to be on the up as well.

I dream of a thread where Buddug is dissected as a name tbh. I think it’s unlikely but it would be such fun 🤣

GogLais · 15/09/2022 09:33

@Hadtocomment ,But I knew a Gwenllian and she didn't pronounce it with all the stress on the ee @GogLais . She was Welsh.
Are you sure about that? The name is three syllables, and the stress is always on the last-but-one syllable. The name is quite popular and the ones I know all say it as three syllables.

What you are saying compares to saying a Victoria says her name as Vict'ria.

Mummytobe333 · 15/09/2022 10:14

I am with your husband sorry - struggling to say anything positive about any of those names.

out of curiosity could we hear what his list is? 😊 maybe would help make suggestions on something that would work with both your styles.

caitlinrose · 15/09/2022 11:00

Thanks everyone,

My husband's list is very different, I might post it later this week. They are quite trendy and not really my style but we're trying to find names that are sort of in the middle. At the moment we have names such as Cassandra, Isabella and Sabrina on our common list which are classic in origin but a bit more modern sounding (in his opinion) and less trendy than the ones on his list (in my opinion).

Thanks for all of your suggestions, I made a list that I will show to my husband and we will go over our lists once more. Luckily we have lots of time left, it's quite difficult!

I saw that Gwendolen is the original spelling of Gwendolyn but when I googled it I found both Gwendoline and Gwendolyn to be much more common than Gwendolen so I worried I was setting her up for a lifetime of explaining that she is Gwendolen and not Gwendolyn.

I am so sorry about the pronunciation of Gwenllian! I found it in a name book and found it so beautiful. Normally I google every name I want to use and check the pronunciation but for some reason I just assumed the pronunciation here! Sorry again and I am actually not sure if I can say it correctly so if it hadn't been taken off the list already I'd do so now.

It's true that names can change pronunciations a lot when they are adapted. My friend told me that Gretchen and Ottilie sound nothing in English like what they do in German and at least Ottilie I hear quite often in the UK now. I think we changed most French names too. My mum has a friend called Jacqueline from Nice in France and her name sounds completely different in French, I can't even explain it properly.

Thanks again.

OP posts:
KirstenBlest · 15/09/2022 11:25

@Pixiedust1234 , W&G's pal was Wendolene.

@caitlinrose , Gwendolen is fine, but it is Gwen-DOL-enn not Gwendolyn.
the Gwendolyn pronunciation is an anglicisation.

Check the pronunciation before creating a post on a name that has been used consistently in part of the UK for centuries. Don't assume that it sounds as it looks.

@Jins, i think Buddug is a lovely name, but there was a recent thread Shock People won't understand that TH and DD/DD and D don't sound the same.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.