Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

How often do you speak to your other half when at work

149 replies

Incognito8811 · 31/01/2024 18:06

Just what the title says really. When at work, how often do you speak to your other half?

Dh complains I don't speak to him when I am working over text/WhatsApp. But my job is busy and I spend the days rushing between teams calls when at home or head down getting on with work.

Dh is currently away on a course and other than a few messages this morning of how are you etc, and then a few in the day in which there were long gaps between as I was on calls we haven't spoken much! Apparently texting while presenting is acceptable to him where as its not to me!

OP posts:
HalloumiGeller · 31/01/2024 18:54

It depends really on how busy my day is, or whether there is anything accept the usual mundane stuff that I want to talk about 😅. I see him everyday as we live together so we don't always have anything to talk about lol

teenagetantrums · 31/01/2024 18:56

We work different shifts, so if one of us is at home we will normally call on our break, mainly to discuss mundane crap like what shall we eat tonight, has my parcel come..

idontlikealdi · 31/01/2024 18:57

I don't. It's impossible to bet gold off him even if it was an emergency, he's a teacher, works in a dead zone network wise. I'd have to land line the reception and get them to convey a message.

Rufilla · 31/01/2024 18:58

When we worked at the same company we might send a few Teams messages a day. Stuff like links to things I’d been reading about at lunchtime or maybe something interesting someone had told me. Basically, the non-work things you might message any colleague with. Also admin stuff - it was great having someone who could get me the lunch of my choosing if I was in a meeting.

Now that we don’t work together it’s rare.

Smithstreet · 31/01/2024 18:59

Often not at all, only really about kids, if going to be late, get something from shop etc. We both work in the community so dont often have set breaks and definitely cannot text while at clinics etc.

TeabySea · 31/01/2024 19:01

Rarely.
I would only contact him, or expect him to contact me at work if there was a genuine issue.
When we were dating we didn't speak every day, and when we moved in together we didn't feel the need to phone each other/text each other daily.

BarelyLiterate · 31/01/2024 19:02

Hardly ever. I can’t remember the last time we actually spoke during the working day. We are both busy and I speak to him enough at home.

We do exchange the occasional text, usually along the lines of ‘could you pick up milk & apples on the way home?’ ‘Will do’.

TheDandyLion · 31/01/2024 19:04

About 3-4 times a day when one of us will ask the other if we want a cup of tea. We both WFH in different rooms but barely speak until we've finished.

Bookmark1111 · 31/01/2024 19:08

We have a quick two-min call almost every lunchtime and I'll send a text on rare occasions if something exciting/shocking/mad has happened in the news, but he's a teacher and can't answer them.

Onelifeonly · 31/01/2024 19:11

Never unless it's urgent. Sometimes I call him when I get into the car to drive home.

peakygold · 31/01/2024 19:12

Almost never. I would think he was being held hostage if I got a call from him.

Willmafrockfit · 31/01/2024 19:13

lunchtime only,
and when i leave often

PumpkinPie2016 · 31/01/2024 19:13

Rarely. I may send a quick text about something during lunch e.g. if I need to check if we need milk/I need to pass on something about DS.

He worked away for a week in Nov and even then it was the same. We would message before work and then me and DS would ring in the evening.

Thankfully, he understands that I am very busy during the day - I am a teacher so usually teaching and if not, I may be in assembly/on duty/in a meeting. Some days, I barely have time to nip to the toilet so I don't have time to message.

andHelenknowsimmiserablenow · 31/01/2024 19:15

We only send a quick message if there is something like an email from DS school, or if a delivery is due and I am WFH on that day. If something interesting has happened we will say i will tell you something later. We are both busy and couldn't cope with being pestered all day it would drive us both mad.

Alphabet1spaghetti2 · 31/01/2024 19:16

Never unless it’s an absolute emergency, there’s nothing that can’t wait until we are both home. But when he worked away all week, we caught up once daily. Partly because he worked alone, he was quite simply lonely.

flea101 · 31/01/2024 19:17

More recently as sorting out sons EHCP and new school, but usually a text to say on way home! That's about it. To be fair he works out and about so rarely has signal! I have had to give up work for now due to ongoing issues with sons education so I am at home, when I was working it was never unless an emergency! More likely to call my mum or the nursery (whoever had son whilst we were at work).

43ontherocksporfavor · 31/01/2024 19:18

Never really. I’m in a classroom so no phones allowed. I check at break time and lunchtime but would only text if it couldn’t wait until the evening which is rare. If I ever ring DH with something important it’s a v quick call as he’s always really busy.

Poppysmom22 · 31/01/2024 19:18

I don’t unless we have something going on that can’t wait

Skyblue92 · 31/01/2024 19:19

Never neither of us can really contact the other easily (I teach and he works with machinery/outdoors all day) and tbh if either one of us contacted the other while at work then we’d know something serious had happened

SillyMoose · 31/01/2024 19:20

Never. I barely have time to eat or piss.

He'd get told to pack it in if he was needy at me about daytime messaging. I'm not being paid to send chatty WhatsApps. I'm actually working.

Baircasolly · 31/01/2024 19:21

I don't speak to my husband every day at work, and we work together!

whiteroseredrose · 31/01/2024 19:22

Rarely. DH will text if he pops to the supermarket at lunch time to see if we need anything. I text him on the minibus to his office so he can shut down. That's it.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

LindorDoubleChoc · 31/01/2024 19:23

Obviously I would in an emergency but otherwise - never.

anyolddinosaur · 31/01/2024 19:23

Very rarely. My train has been delayed, I'll be late home or similar, nothing else.

jarniuh · 31/01/2024 19:24

Never, unless it's something that can't wait and needs dealing with before we get home.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.