My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Would you allow your 12 year old to have acrylic nails?

203 replies

Icantremembermyusername · 31/07/2023 22:22

Just that, really?
Am I being mean?
DD - Can I have my nails done?
Me -yes, we’ll have a manicure during the holidays.
DD - No, I meant can I go to X place and have acrylic nails FOR MY BIRTHDAY
Me - No. I’ve already organised your (very expensive) birthday present (and those from both sets of grandparents and your extended relatives) and agreed to pay for a movie night with your mates plus a pre agreed day out with your best mate. We can maybe have a manicure at a salon (no acrylics) later in the hols.
DD - massive sulk and went to bed.
i feel like she’s taking the absolute piss!
Aibu? Yes - she should have the nails. No - she’s being a brat.
Thank you!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

830 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
7%
You are NOT being unreasonable
93%
Testina · 31/07/2023 22:23

What’s your issue - that you’ve already spent the money, or that you don’t believe a 12yo should have acrylic nails?

Summer2424 · 31/07/2023 22:24

Hi @Icantremembermyusername i wouldn't allow my 12 year old to have acrylic nails, yanbu x

Soontobe60 · 31/07/2023 22:26

Absolutely not. Nor would I allow false eyelashes, flesh coloured leggings that go up your ares crack, bra tops as outerwear and sliders with fur 😂
My mantra was always - when you’re earning your own money, you can spend it on what you want.
Surprisingly, both my adult DDs haven’t grown up hating me, nor are they traumatised by having a mother who was happy to say no.

Glitterblue · 31/07/2023 22:26

I've said no to my 13 year old having acrylics because I think she's too young. She tried for a while saying but so and so has them but now she's accepted she'll get them when she's older.

Sealover123 · 31/07/2023 22:28

Yes to painted nails but heck no to fake acrylic nails.

Icantremembermyusername · 31/07/2023 22:28

Sorry @Testina my issue is both! I don’t think the nails are great and I think she’s taking the piss.

OP posts:
AlanJohnsonsBeamer · 31/07/2023 22:29

You can get press on nails that would last a few days or a week. Absolutely wouldn't let DD get acrylics personally.

lovemycbf · 31/07/2023 22:30

12 years old in my opinion is way too young so no I wouldn't.
Young girls have so much pressure to be perfect these days it's just awful,let them be young girls without all fake nails,tans and fake tans there's plenty of time for that when they are actually adults

Facefortheradio · 31/07/2023 22:30

If you can find a nail salon who will do acrylics on a kid then you'd probably be best to avoid the place like the plague.

But no. I wouldn't allow my 12/13/14/15 yr old to have them.

Sometimeswinning · 31/07/2023 22:32

My dd13 brought some press on ones just to see how she copes. She's doing fine. She asked for gels. I'm not sure I'd really have an issue with it.

justaweeone · 31/07/2023 22:32

Soontobe60 · 31/07/2023 22:26

Absolutely not. Nor would I allow false eyelashes, flesh coloured leggings that go up your ares crack, bra tops as outerwear and sliders with fur 😂
My mantra was always - when you’re earning your own money, you can spend it on what you want.
Surprisingly, both my adult DDs haven’t grown up hating me, nor are they traumatised by having a mother who was happy to say no.

Yep, this was me!

cocksstrideintheevening · 31/07/2023 22:32

I'm currently the bad guy as I have said no to 12yo DTs. I said they could have a gel polish manicure but no that wasn't acceptable.

They stocked up on primark glue on ones. I don't mind them when they're off school.

LittleBearPad · 31/07/2023 22:36

Absolutely not. Putting aside the fact they’re horribly naff, they will ruin her nails

FionnulaTheCooler · 31/07/2023 22:37

AlanJohnsonsBeamer · 31/07/2023 22:29

You can get press on nails that would last a few days or a week. Absolutely wouldn't let DD get acrylics personally.

I let my DD have these, but they generally only last until the first time she has a shower or bath, the hot water seems to dissolve the glue. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but they're cheap so no big deal.

Icantremembermyusername · 31/07/2023 22:37

Thank you! I thought I’d lost the plot! Her step mum used to be a nail artist so DD thinks nail art is normal and I’m some sort of naked nail freak! I file and buff mine about once a month and paint them if I’m going ‘out out’ but the last thing I’d want is plastic permanently adhered to my nails! And to pay for that on what I’ve already spent is just rude!

OP posts:
CherieBabySpliffUp · 31/07/2023 22:41

I know nothing about any health concerns but I wouldn't purely because any kind of make up/nail polish etc is banned at her school.

JamNittyGritty · 31/07/2023 22:41

My 12 year old does- she is allowed, we have agreed to 3x a year — at the start of each of the longer school holidays, and I limit the length.

PermanentTemporary · 31/07/2023 22:41

Hell no. I feel I've come a long way for thinking nail polish is ok at this age, at least on short nails. Acrylics would be horrible.

My mum refused to let me have pierced ears until I was 16 because she just found the idea so skin-crawling. I completely understood that and complied until my 16th birthday I think it's best to be authentic about your feelings with kids.

JamNittyGritty · 31/07/2023 22:42

Sorry, badly written, it’s late and I have drunk a glass of wine

LisaD1 · 31/07/2023 22:44

My DD has always loved the long nails, I’ve allowed her to wear them since she was about 13 BUT they were kept on with blue tac 😂 she’s almost 16 now and has them done at a salon but only in the holidays. I wouldn’t allow my 12 year old to have them glued on.

TwinsPlusAnotherOne · 31/07/2023 22:45

I'd let my future 12yo DD have some gel nails, for the holidays. But not acrylic extensions.

I don't see gel nails as any different to nail polish, and I'm sure I used to paint my toenails (and most of my toes) when I was about ten.

Jobalob · 31/07/2023 22:45

No she’s too young and they look horrible on 12 year olds.

LittleBearPad · 31/07/2023 22:46

TwinsPlusAnotherOne · 31/07/2023 22:45

I'd let my future 12yo DD have some gel nails, for the holidays. But not acrylic extensions.

I don't see gel nails as any different to nail polish, and I'm sure I used to paint my toenails (and most of my toes) when I was about ten.

Gel nails will also ruin her nails.

christmastreefarm · 31/07/2023 22:47

My (just) 12 yo asked for them as wel for the summer and I said no. She makes do with stick in ones.

She wanted a boob tube as well today - I also said no to that.

Catlord · 31/07/2023 22:49

Oh god no you're not BU. I wasn't as young as 12 but as a teenager got a couple of grim looking fungal infections and a painful injury getting an acrylic nail ripped off in an accident. Maybe stick ons or DSM could do a funky design on her own nails?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.