Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Neighbour has told our village I am a thief

419 replies

crazyneighbour123 · 24/03/2023 20:59

NC as obviously outing

Last night around 8:30pm a delivery driver asked me to take a parcel for a neighbour a few doors down and said he had knocked my door as my gate was open (all houses on my street have a gate and a pathway to the front door, roughly 20meters). The parcel was 2ft high and 2ft wide and heavy so I managed to push it along my hallway out of the way.

Here is the issue. At 6:50am there was banging and when I say banging I mean banging on my front door. I ran downstairs worried something was wrong and hoping it wouldn’t wake the whole house up.

It was my male neighbour who is in his 40s who didn’t bother to say hello only said where is my parcel. I explained it come last night let me get it. As I was pushing it down the hallway towards the door he said ‘ no need to be so dramatic there’s no need to pretend it’s too heavy that’s why you didn’t bother to bring it over last night, you just could not be bothered’ . I was shocked and just said how he wasn’t in thats why the deliver drive gave me the parcel and it is heavy. He then said he was in but was having his dinner and it was raining so didn’t answer the door and I should have had some respect and done the polite thing and taken the parcel to him. I started laughing as I thought he was joking. He then tried picking it up and realised how heavy it was and how far he had to go with it told me the least I can do is help him carry it back to his house I laughed and said I couldn’t. He then called me a waste of space. I then told him ‘ I hope there’s weights in that box cause you bloody well need them’ and shut the door.

He has now posted on the village Facebook (I know social media is the root of all evil) and has bad mouthed me and called me a thief and a chav and that everyone should be careful around me as I will try and take their deliveries to keep for myself. This is not true and unluckily for him I have this all recorded on the ring doorbell. You can hear us both word for word and see how angry he is in the video. Question is would I be unreasonable to post it onto the village Facebook group or should I just send it privately to the main admin person. My only issue with sending it privately which is the more mature option is the main admin owner walks her dogs with him so not sure if she would fully make the other members of the group aware of what actually happened? I could just try the private route first but it’s making me feel awkward going out today that everyone in the village thinks I’m a thief.

YANBU - post it on the Facebook group so the whole village will know the truth

YABU - send it only to the admin privately and hope she does the right thing

OP posts:
NerdyIsMyMiddleName · 25/03/2023 12:27

I'm so sorry - you shouldn't have had to go through all that when you were just doing him a favour! 💐

Ionlydrinkondaysendinginy · 25/03/2023 12:34

Post it 100%. Why are you doubting yourself i would of done it straight away after his post

bobby741 · 25/03/2023 12:36

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Emotionalsupportviper · 25/03/2023 12:41

crazyneighbour123 · 25/03/2023 11:59

It’s gone. The post has been taken down. The Facebook admin woman has put a post up stating that this is a space to make the community aware of positive actions in the community and to discuss ways to improve it. It is not a space to defame residents. She has also stated she is happy to work as a go between for those who have a grievance but this will be done privately. He has blocked me too as I can’t find him on Facebook anymore. However my neighbour has sent me a screenshot of his post this morning that says
‘I’m ignoring you, I don’t want to speak to you and don’t care about you’

However my neighbour has sent me a screenshot of his post this morning that says 

I'm so sorry @crazyneighbour123

You must be heartbroken.

<proffers hankie>

pleasehelpwi3 · 25/03/2023 12:50

Sue him for libel

IncompleteSenten · 25/03/2023 12:52

He's made himself look like a gigantic twat.

LaBellina · 25/03/2023 12:54

I would post that faster then you could say slander.

MsMoody · 25/03/2023 13:01

OP your responses were perfect, glad it’s been taken down now. Guarantee that anyone who saw the original post is aware that he’s a bit of a fruitcake!

Also ‘hope there’s weights in that box cause you bloody well need them’ is hilarious.

Teateaandmoretea · 25/03/2023 13:12

😂😂 what an utter twat. Quite clearly your neighbour has seen this side of him and shares this opinion too.

Sandra1984 · 25/03/2023 13:18

@crazyneighbour123 ‘I’m ignoring you, I don’t want to speak to you and don’t care about you’

what is he 16? 🤣😂🤣

ShopoholicIn · 25/03/2023 13:27

I won't give an option to him to retract it. I would post. He has bad mouthed you anyways so best you post to clear the matter

Mirabai · 25/03/2023 13:28

Result.

DimplesToadfoot · 25/03/2023 13:31

Nice job on getting the post removed.

Now I'd make sure I'd have everything saved, I can just imagine this guy going to the seller "I haven't recieved my parcel and Crazyneighbour123 says she doesn't have it, I demand a refund"

Theunamedcat · 25/03/2023 13:36

Next time a parcel shows up for him tell them no and to knock louder he is probably eating 🙄

femfemlicious · 25/03/2023 13:39

Also threatened to sue him for defamation of character!. Make sure you take screenshot if his post.

LuluLehman · 25/03/2023 13:39

Chickenly · 24/03/2023 21:12

You’ll be absolutely completely and totally fine from a legal standpoint. The laws are complex and full of grey areas but what you’re doing is so low level that the courts wouldn’t entertain spending any time on it. You’re protecting your reputation, it’s a given that many people have cameras nowadays and is an accepted risk when you approach a property. There won’t be an issue.

Yes.

Also isn't what the neighbour did defamatory?

BitOutOfPractice · 25/03/2023 13:43

I would 100% send the video to the admin with the message saying “mediate this!”

Allthegoodnamesarechosen · 25/03/2023 13:44

DimplesToadfoot · 25/03/2023 13:31

Nice job on getting the post removed.

Now I'd make sure I'd have everything saved, I can just imagine this guy going to the seller "I haven't recieved my parcel and Crazyneighbour123 says she doesn't have it, I demand a refund"

But the delivery person will have a record of where anything is delivered, even if it isn’t signed for.

Pheefifofuckthisshit · 25/03/2023 13:49

Sounds like the admin of the group has the measure of him tbh seeing the comment after she's deleted the post.

I'd put the videos up on my own personal profile and leave them up and public because I'm like that. Village gossip being what it is, it sounds to me that you won't be the only person that's had dealings with him but posting the vids on my own profile will mean any idle nosy parkers can quickly see how was decent and who was a deranged tosser.

DimplesToadfoot · 25/03/2023 13:49

@Allthegoodnamesarechosen

But the delivery person will have a record of where anything is delivered, even if it isn’t signed for.

Correct, I'm not sure what your point is

LookItsMeAgain · 25/03/2023 13:54

TruJay · 24/03/2023 21:02

You could comment and ask if he’d like to retract his untruthful slanderous comment or he’d like you to post your ring camera video for people to see what actually happened?

Except it would be to retract his untruthful defamatory comment or you will post your ring doorbell video for everyone to see and hear. His call.
Give him exactly as long as it took him to get up off his arse to try to collect his parcel from your house before you'll post it.

GCAcademic · 25/03/2023 13:58

He sounds a bit simple, tbh. I’d leave it now, there’s no sport or victory in getting one over on someone like that.

saraclara · 25/03/2023 14:02

I'm glad the admin was sensible and proactive.
What I would do if you regularly get deliveries, OP is put a sign on the door telling delivery drivers not to leave your parcels at (ridiculous man's house number) if you're out. I can't see it going well if they do.

LookItsMeAgain · 25/03/2023 14:06

I'm pleased the FB admins took down his post.

Can I ask you @crazyneighbour123, do you still have his parcel or was he able to carry it (in the dry weather, much easier to do I might add, even if it is a heavy parcel) back to his place at 6:50am this morning?

FancyAnOlive · 25/03/2023 14:06

I bet loads of other people think he's a twat already.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.