Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Secret Santa - This shocking right?

170 replies

ShittySanta · 07/12/2022 21:10

NC for this, as workmates may be on here.

Anyway, work's Secret Santa. Ordered two gifts, one was a holder for glasses. Described as 'handmade from authentic durable Indian Shisham wood'. Erm... Not even close. 😅

What ordered, versus what I got!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1571 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
3%
You are NOT being unreasonable
97%
GoingtotheWinchester · 08/12/2022 04:01

We have a secret Santa every year at school - I’m always disappointed if I get wine or chocolates. Utterly uninspired and shows the giver hasn’t tried. On years I’ve been lucky I’ve had something really thoughtful and personal that the giver has clearly made an effort with, and these are treasured. For example, a book I might have mentioned wanting to read or a scarf I’ve commented on. Or gardening gifts they know I’d love.

We’re all different - don’t assume everyone wants chocolates!

oakleaffy · 08/12/2022 04:33

Jeez..that's DIRE.

Made out of kindling from the woodpile with a blunt penknife and a bottle of PVA.. Shocking
Hope you get a refund, @ShittySanta

dancingqueen123 · 08/12/2022 05:36

I mean, yes its shit.... but I'm mainly wondering why on earth would you buy someone a "glasses holder"
Who needs on of those?! Totally weird thread!

dancingqueen123 · 08/12/2022 05:37

eosmum · 07/12/2022 21:29

I have that in my basket, thank goodness I saw this.

Why??? Why would anyone buy this?

dancingqueen123 · 08/12/2022 05:38

BeardieWeirdie · 07/12/2022 21:33

I would be so disappointed if you were my secret Santa - a wooden nose glasses holder is utterly pointless. My glasses are either on my head or in a box. Honestly, it would be kindling for the log burner. Give wine.

This!

bluetongue · 08/12/2022 06:01

This is why I’m a secret Santa conscientious objector.

Bakeacaketoday · 08/12/2022 06:57

I think its a pretty common scam.... Pick a product that is already with good reviews and then start to sell a cheap imitation. They make tonnes of profit as many people don't realise or aren't bothered to return especially if its a low value item.

The first time it happened I was contacting the seller to tell them they had sent me the wrong product only for them to refund immediately.... Which I thought was weird but whatever.

Then subsequent times it dawned on me what was happening.

Its amazon marketplace at its worst - you get good reviews from seller a then seller b sells a substandard product USING THE SAME LISTING.

Trixiefirecracker · 08/12/2022 07:25

ADifferentKindofChristmas · 07/12/2022 23:56

Maybe because we are all different and have alternative ideas of what is "tasteful"?

Just a thoughtXmas Hmm

In this case ‘alternative’ equals ‘bad’ taste. Im
sorry but it’s truly awful. There are so many pretty, useful gifts you can buy for under a tenner that are also not off Amazon.

ADifferentKindofChristmas · 08/12/2022 07:39

Trixiefirecracker · 08/12/2022 07:25

In this case ‘alternative’ equals ‘bad’ taste. Im
sorry but it’s truly awful. There are so many pretty, useful gifts you can buy for under a tenner that are also not off Amazon.

Again, awful and bad taste to you but there are many people and a couple indeed on this thread who do and have bought and used these who clearly find them “pretty” and “useful”.

its not that a difficult concept to grasp is it?

Mummieslncorporated · 08/12/2022 07:42

It's so funny when people get all judgey about what is useful and appealling to others.

The person I would buy the moustache one for has more than one pair of glasses - a really trendy, bold pair for certain occasions and outfits and a much more normal pair for work etc.

This gift makes total sense for them. They would be utterly confused if I gave them a bottle of wine, and probably assume it's one that I was given but didn't want and was just trying to get rid of it.

Wine would be a bad gift for them.

Newsflash: different people are different and appreciate different things! Just because one person thinks something is bad (tomatoes 🤢) doesn't mean others will!

maddiemookins16mum · 08/12/2022 07:47

Pretty sure my Nephew made one of these in Woodwork 1987.

KimberleyClark · 08/12/2022 07:49

VanGoghsDog · 08/12/2022 01:11

Does the person the OP is buying for wear special glasses for playing the piano then?

How should I know? The poster I was replying to said they thought glasses holders were pointless. I pointed out that my DH’s glasses holder did have a point.

squishee · 08/12/2022 08:05

Stunning. Please write a Amazon review and add the photos. I'm sure you could get help on here from MN wordsmiths if you wanted!

ClaireEclair · 08/12/2022 08:23

Both are awful to be honest. It’s a risky present for secret Santa if you don’t know people very well!

Sweetpeasaremadeforbees · 08/12/2022 08:31

We have a secret Santa every year at school - I’m always disappointed if I get wine or chocolates. Utterly uninspired and shows the giver hasn’t tried. On years I’ve been lucky I’ve had something really thoughtful and personal that the giver has clearly made an effort with, and these are treasured. For example, a book I might have mentioned wanting to read or a scarf I’ve commented on. Or gardening gifts they know I’d love.

That's all very well but the OP is new to her job and doesn't know her colleagues very well so safe and boring is probably the wisest way to go.

mum11970 · 08/12/2022 08:36

ancientgran · 07/12/2022 22:23

Why do wine drinkers think everyone wants a bottle of wine?

Quite. Somewhere to stick my glasses would be way more use than a bottle of wine to me. I have multiple pairs of glasses but don’t drink wine 🤢. That one is shocking though OP 🤣. The giraffe is fabulous.

kingtamponthefurred · 08/12/2022 08:50

I think it's very sad that trees have died to produce any of this stuff.

Trixiefirecracker · 08/12/2022 08:53

ADifferentKindofChristmas · 08/12/2022 07:39

Again, awful and bad taste to you but there are many people and a couple indeed on this thread who do and have bought and used these who clearly find them “pretty” and “useful”.

its not that a difficult concept to grasp is it?

Yes, but they are wrong and it’s not a ‘concept’ that I have to grasp it’s a fact. Some folk have crappy taste. Fact.

Mummieslncorporated · 08/12/2022 08:58

kingtamponthefurred · 08/12/2022 08:50

I think it's very sad that trees have died to produce any of this stuff.

Do you think that people specifically cut down a tree to make them?

You don't think that maybe some of the tree was used for other things?

Mummieslncorporated · 08/12/2022 08:59

Trixiefirecracker · 08/12/2022 08:53

Yes, but they are wrong and it’s not a ‘concept’ that I have to grasp it’s a fact. Some folk have crappy taste. Fact.

Who made you judge 😂😂

NoAprilFool · 08/12/2022 09:04

I don’t like it (the original) but would much rather have that than a bottle of wine. It shows at least a little thought.

I wear glasses. I don’t drink.

SpicyFoodRocks · 08/12/2022 09:27

I wear glasses. I would hate to receive any glasses holder! More junk in the house. Secret Santas are usually a disappointment. At least this version has comedy value OP.

Soozikinzii · 08/12/2022 09:30

It's so bad it's good ! It's entertainment all of us this morning!

VanGoghsDog · 08/12/2022 09:48

KimberleyClark · 08/12/2022 07:49

How should I know? The poster I was replying to said they thought glasses holders were pointless. I pointed out that my DH’s glasses holder did have a point.

I've had glasses for 45 years and I've never yet struggled to find somewhere to put them. So if someone gave me that ugly thing it would go straight in the bin. Why would I want that on my bedside table?

So, your DH use is very niche. And unless someone knows they have a similar requirement, it's just weird to buy something like that. "Ooh, x wears glasses, I bet they've always had problems working out where to put them!".

KimberleyClark · 08/12/2022 09:56

Well, maybe the OP’s recipient has glasses specifically for computer use - some people do. And she knows them better than either of us do.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.