My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

... to be baffled why so many people stand up on public transport?

174 replies

ImJustMadAboutSaffron · 16/10/2022 10:48

When there are several seats available? It's mainly younger people and teenagers. I'm hardly old myself only 42 but I think it's weird.

Nothing to do with covid, been happening for years.

Is it uncool to sit down?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

211 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
87%
You are NOT being unreasonable
13%
Needmorelego · 16/10/2022 16:46

@SherbetDips but move to where? That's the issue I find on buses - there is nowhere for people to move out the way too. (Obviously if every seat is taken then you can't help it)

SherbetDips · 16/10/2022 16:49

@Needmorelego move up the back of the bus or the aisles or step quickly of the bus or slide on to the steps quickly to let people pass.

I sit down if there are seats but I’m not gonna take up a priory seat if I’m only going 1/2 stops.

Im a nanny so I often have a pram so if no seats I stand next to the pram.

Look it’s not ideal but London is a very busy place and sometimes with a pram it’s quicker to stand if you’re only doing a few stops.

limitedperiodonly · 16/10/2022 16:55

it’s not ideal but London is a very busy place and sometimes with a pram it’s quicker to stand if you’re only doing a few stops.

@SherbetDips I don't travel with a pram but sometimes the drivers don't let you on if there is already another pram user or a wheelchair user on board. It's not that easy, is it?

SherbetDips · 16/10/2022 16:58

@limitedperiodonly it’s 2 prams or one pram one wheelchair usually that fits,

Needmorelego · 16/10/2022 17:00

@SherbetDips with a pram that's different because you are kinda expected to stand with it. They even have one of those announcements "please stay with your buggy for your child's safety".
But if there is an empty seat and it's just you I can't see why you would rather have to constantly move around to make room for people getting on and off than just sitting down.
But that's your choice. Apologies in advance if I accidentally catch your legs with my daughter's wheelchair while having to push my way through the standing crowd to get on and off the bus.

LaurieFairyCake · 16/10/2022 17:02

Arthritis for me, I stand unless the journey is over 15 minutes - hurts too much to get down and up

I do stand in the door on buses (without blocking the exit obviously)

And I once had a few harsh words with the bus driver (they're usually so lovely) who told me to go upstairs when I got on and I said I can't (can't come down bus stairs, too steep). He said go up or go off, so I got off 🥹 - an empty one came along in about 4 minutes though Grin

limitedperiodonly · 16/10/2022 17:14

@ImJustMadAboutSaffron I try to be considerate in all aspects of life including on public transport. But sometimes I feel my needs equal or take priority over those of others and will exercise them.

This includes not making my way down a carriage to sit down if I am only going a few stops and standing by the door so I can get off easily.

I am of small stature, do not whirl about wearing an enormous backpack and press myself as unobtrusively as possible against the wall until I arrive at my destination. I usually have a book but if reading it causes me to take up too much space I of course don't get it out.

dailyfup · 16/10/2022 17:14

I do it because I get anxious about getting off if it gets busy - so I might take a seat at first if there aren't many people on the train but if it starts to fill up I'll move and stand nearer the doors (but not right in front of them like some people do)

Also if I'm only going a couple of stops I won't bother sitting down even if there is plenty of space.

onionringcheeseypuff · 16/10/2022 17:28

They don't have confidence to sit next to someone

Shy, same as above

Young girls feeling uncomfortable sitting next to men

Rude fuckers have put their bag on seat next to them or sit on the outside seat leaving window seat unused, dirty fuckers put their feet on the seat next to them - all giving off don't sit next to me vibes and they are too afraid of the confrontation of asking people to move themselves or their stuff

binglebangle567 · 16/10/2022 17:39

This reply has been deleted

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines.

MrsLargeEmbodied · 16/10/2022 17:49

where i live although the signs on the bus say, ring the bell, once the bus stops, then alight your seat, hwoever the bus drivers are crazy and will zoom off if you havent moved fast enough.
a friends elderly mother fell over on the bus and broke her knee

ImJustMadAboutSaffron · 16/10/2022 18:21

SherbetDips · 16/10/2022 16:49

@Needmorelego move up the back of the bus or the aisles or step quickly of the bus or slide on to the steps quickly to let people pass.

I sit down if there are seats but I’m not gonna take up a priory seat if I’m only going 1/2 stops.

Im a nanny so I often have a pram so if no seats I stand next to the pram.

Look it’s not ideal but London is a very busy place and sometimes with a pram it’s quicker to stand if you’re only doing a few stops.

They pack people in like sardines. Just when you think they can't let anyone else, they do.

OP posts:
TerribleAtUsernames · 16/10/2022 18:26

I get bad travel sickness especially on coaches and buses (the stop starting is a big trigger) it’s much better for me to stand and be able to look towards the front to avoid me being sick.

OpheIia · 16/10/2022 18:30

If I'm only travelling a stop or two then I stand.

SpeckofDustUponMySoul · 16/10/2022 18:32

I often stand because I spend enough time sitting down. Also, I have fibroids/enlarged uterus and compressed bladder, so I feel every bump when I sit down.

Sally99 · 16/10/2022 18:39

I stand because of the filthy seats, no other reason

CruCru · 16/10/2022 19:12

I know what you mean, OP.

I get a bus in the morning where a load of students get on at a tube stop then get off three stops later. So they don’t want to sit down or go upstairs - therefore they get in the way of all the older people trying to get on or off.

I’m often quite taken aback at how many people choose to stand in front of the doors then are shocked that people physically can’t get past them to get off. It’s almost as though they’ve never got a bus before.

Ideally people should go (sitting or standing) where they cause the least nuisance.

limitedperiodonly · 16/10/2022 19:28

By definition public transport means you have to mingle with the public and take your chances with the annoying things other people do. Sometimes people are horrid and smell or shit on the seats though that is not a usual part of my experience.

The alternative is to stay in or drive which is very selfish and polluting if you can use public transport and is something of which I profoundly disapprove.

Most people are okay like we all are and often they can be astoundingly kind. I have learned to embrace this as part of the joy and pain of living in society.

CruCru · 17/10/2022 09:00

I just thought of this thread. Am on a bus and the driver has just announced “Please do not be selfish. There are lots of seats on the upper deck and lots of people waiting to get on the bus”. Presumably no one can get on because of all the people choosing to stand downstairs.

SleeplessInEngland · 17/10/2022 09:02

A nice problem to have given it means there are lots of free seats on your commute. Wish mine had some.

KimberleyClark · 17/10/2022 09:04

It’s so annoying when standing passengers won’t move down to the back of the bus, preferring to cluster at the front stopping more passengers from getting on.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER · 17/10/2022 09:57

Can’t say I’ve noticed it around here. And it’s almost invariably young people who plonk themselves into the first available priority disabled seats, when there are seats further back, and then, a stop or two further on, either are, or pretend to be, so engrossed in their phones that they don’t notice some old dear having to stand, who doesn’t like to ask them to move. 🤬
So it’s up to someone like me to say it - and get the eye-roll.

I do often stand because I’m not going all that far, but if I do want to sit I have no objection to asking the person in the window seat, who’s plonked a large bag on the other seat, to move it, please.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

RascafríaMom · 17/10/2022 23:10

Zosime · 16/10/2022 11:33

It frees up a seat for someone who needs it more than me.

If you're standing on a bus, you're blocking the aisle, and no-one can get to the seats you're leaving vacant.

That depends entirely on the bus configuration. Local buses near me have spots where you can stand without blocking others, or where you can easily get out of the way if others need them. Most of these tend to be near the wheelchair and stroller reserved spots, where it is best to be alert anyway as someone may need that space.

Purpleberet · 17/10/2022 23:13

If the journey is half hour or less I often stand, I’m sat at a desk all day and I think it’s really not good for me!

Tupster · 17/10/2022 23:35

I stand on the Tube when I'm going to/from work because I have a big old rucksack on my back with my laptop, headset, cables, lunch.. all that crap in, and it's bulky and I really can't be bothered to be shrugging it on and off, so I just keep it on and stand up.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.