My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

... to be baffled why so many people stand up on public transport?

174 replies

ImJustMadAboutSaffron · 16/10/2022 10:48

When there are several seats available? It's mainly younger people and teenagers. I'm hardly old myself only 42 but I think it's weird.

Nothing to do with covid, been happening for years.

Is it uncool to sit down?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

211 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
87%
You are NOT being unreasonable
13%
maddy68 · 16/10/2022 11:46

If I don't have far to go I stand be ause I sit all day at work and it's easier to get off

TayJay94 · 16/10/2022 11:46

It's often because they're only there for a short trip, or they know that they don't need a seat and even though there are a few they want anyone else who gets on to feel free to sit down without them having to get up and offer a seat

FleeUpFreeTime · 16/10/2022 12:12

Depends if I have to sit next to someone
Or how far I’m going

Xiaoxiong · 16/10/2022 12:14

I like tube surfing 🏄‍♀️ also sometimes I've been sitting down all day in meetings so it's more comfortable to stand for a while.

SirenSays · 16/10/2022 12:15

I stand near the front because the bus fills up two stops after mine and no one seems to understand they can get off to let me off and get back on again. So If I sit I have to fight my way through the horde blocking the door like I'm in a walking dead episode. That's too much stress for a Monday morning.

Chazx · 16/10/2022 12:28

I stand up as I have a germ phobia (clinical MH diagnosis and one of many) and I have seen adults/children wet themselves on seats before.

Chazx · 16/10/2022 12:30

oh yes, adults and children with nappies or padding which has leaked through and visible on clothing when they stand up is another reason why i try to avoid sitting. obviously not an every day event but seen it over the years.

GreenWhiteViolet · 16/10/2022 12:41

I get an anxious, trapped feeling on tubes sometimes and it's not so bad if I stand by the door.

During 2020 I also got into the habit of standing on trains if the alternative was sitting next to someone. Sometimes I still do this (although it doesn't bother me at all if I have the window seat and someone sits beside me, so there's no real reason for it now).

RedHelenB · 16/10/2022 12:41

ImJustMadAboutSaffron · 16/10/2022 10:48

When there are several seats available? It's mainly younger people and teenagers. I'm hardly old myself only 42 but I think it's weird.

Nothing to do with covid, been happening for years.

Is it uncool to sit down?

To make it easier to get off?

Rinoachicken · 16/10/2022 12:44

I prefer to stand on tubes, if I sit, then I’m uncomfortably close to the person next to me, and the if feel the need to move seats away from them for whatever reason then it’s awkward and obvious. Easier to casually move away when standing. Also the risk that at the next stop loads pile on thanks then I’m ‘trapped in my seat with people standing over and in front of me which is triggering for me, plus the worry of getting to the exit to rough everyone at my stop. So standing by far the better option on the tube, and they are designed for that with plenty of space for the majority to stand but with seats for those who need/prefer them.

Buses imo are the opposite of tubes - they are not really designed for lots of standing. There is not enough room for people to pass in the aisle without one person leaning practically on top of someone in a seat.

I prefer to sit on a bus mainly because they tend to be a less smooth ride. But you do play roulette with who might then sit next to you/around you.

So I mostly drive myself! Only use public transport when visiting London, and never use buses in London.

Fastandlupine · 16/10/2022 12:45

I'm amazed at all this seat pissing going on, not seen it once and I use buses alot, toddlers in nappies are generally in pushchairs

Sandysandwich · 16/10/2022 12:55

I leave them mostly because I am fine to stand and it leaves room for people who need to sit.
But also I sat down on a tube when I was a teenager and a man stood in front of me with his obvious erection sticking right close to my face. That was gross and I was too nervous as a 14 year old to say anything or move. I am short and would prefer to not put my face in line with stranger crotches anymore, much prefer a face full of armpits or elbows.

Floralnomad · 16/10/2022 12:57

I always stand on the underground because I have to face forwards or I’m sick and I’d stand on a normal train if I couldn’t get a forward facing seat for the same reason . I never use the bus but if I did it would be the same . I have terrible motion sickness .

OneTC · 16/10/2022 12:58

If I sit down I'll go to sleep

RedWingBoots · 16/10/2022 13:05
  • Because I there are only solo seats left and my DD won't sit down on one unless I stand near her. She can't sit on my lap because we have too many bags and my legs won't fit.
  • I've been sitting down for 8 hours working and would like to stand up for a change
  • I know that lots of people with reduced mobility are going to get on within a couple of stops so I may as well find a good standing position now.
  • I know the tube/train will be rammed full in a stop or so making it difficult for me to get off, so I may as well find a good standing position now.
FindingMyself1999 · 16/10/2022 13:07

It’s healthier to stand and also can make a quick exit!

starrynight21 · 16/10/2022 13:10

Pinkflipflop85 · 16/10/2022 10:53

I feel claustrophobic/trapped if I sit down on public transport.

Me too. As a child I always caught the bus to school, and a few times I got "trapped" and unable to push my way through crowds of adults , when my stop came. I've never felt happy about sitting down since then ! Always much happier to stand somewhere near to the exit door.

MrsSkylerWhite · 16/10/2022 13:11

Used to sit pretty much all day at work so much preferred standing in the tube.

fiorentina · 16/10/2022 13:13

I stand as I want to after a day of sitting, also because the seats are often not very clean. Never really understand why we have padded fabric seats on the tube - most countries have metal wipeable seats.

watcherintherye · 16/10/2022 13:18

SpinningFloppa · 16/10/2022 11:01

I don’t like sitting next to people I don’t know so I choose to stand.

I don’t like sitting opposite people I don’t know, so I choose to stand!

Obviously transport with seating organised in front facing rows are fine. Tubes I hate!

I used to be very, very anxious about my appearance as a teenager, and although my self-consciousness about being looked at has lessened hugely as I’ve got older, vestiges of it remain and it makes me really uncomfortable to be sitting opposite people who will potentially be gazing at me! (I know I’m not that interesting, and they’re probably thinking about what to do for supper, nevertheless I prefer to stand up!)

limitedperiodonly · 16/10/2022 13:21

I always do if I'm going a few stops. It's easier to lean near the doors and I consider it my public service to leave seats for people who want them.

My mum often used to stand and she was travelling on the tube at 90. At least one person used to offer her their seat every time but if she was only going a few stops she'd decline because it's safer to stand leaning up against the side of the carriage and holding on to a grab rail than tottering to a seat on a moving train.

It was very kind of people and i always felt sorry for them when she said:"Thanks love but I'm getting off soon." They always looked slightly heartbroken but she and I were very grateful and we need those kinds of people on public transport.

ImJustMadAboutSaffron · 16/10/2022 13:29

Fastandlupine · 16/10/2022 12:45

I'm amazed at all this seat pissing going on, not seen it once and I use buses alot, toddlers in nappies are generally in pushchairs

I was once on a bus journey from Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay when an old guy had pooped. He got on the same bus back and still smelled the same. And he'd been sitting around in the same pair of trousers ...

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Thehop · 16/10/2022 13:30

Seats are filthy, o don’t sit on public toilets either!

Againstmachine · 16/10/2022 13:32

On buses I find people who stand when there are spaces annoying as hell, as they are stood stopping you moving to free seats up and down the bus and then then are in way when you are getting off.

OnBoardTheHeartOfGold · 16/10/2022 13:32

I never sit down if it's just a few stops.
Often, if I'm travelling by tube, I could be sitting down for work, for cinema/theatre or restaurant so prefer to stand.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.