My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

... to be baffled why so many people stand up on public transport?

174 replies

ImJustMadAboutSaffron · 16/10/2022 10:48

When there are several seats available? It's mainly younger people and teenagers. I'm hardly old myself only 42 but I think it's weird.

Nothing to do with covid, been happening for years.

Is it uncool to sit down?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

211 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
87%
You are NOT being unreasonable
13%
girlfriend44 · 16/10/2022 14:37

PriamFarrl · 16/10/2022 10:52

I’ll stand if I’m only going a few stops. Also it leaves the seats free.

People can't get to the seats if your stood up though, your in the way.

Seymour5 · 16/10/2022 14:38

I'm white haired, and use a stick as my mobility is poor ATM. We have trams here with accessible seats, with Priority signage. I've just got on an almost empty tram, and surprise! There's a young guy sitting in the single one. He's not got a disabled pass, and he isn't old.

Lots of you sound considerate, when I was young it was the norm to go upstairs on buses and offer seats to those more in need. Rarely happens here. Either we have an over representation of young people with hidden disabilities or they've got no consideration for anyone else.

Standing is fine but please don't block the doors and remember if you're wearing a back pack to make sure there's enough space!

Needmorelego · 16/10/2022 14:41

I really really hate it when there are empty seats but people insist on standing around crowding my daughter's wheelchair so she either has someone's backpack or crotch in her face. If there are no seats then there's not much people can do but if there is - F-ing SIT DOWN.
If the bus breaks you all wobble and we have had a few near misses of people nearly falling on to of her.

ImJustMadAboutSaffron · 16/10/2022 14:42

LikeAStar1994 · 16/10/2022 14:15

What's it got to do with you? I just stare out the window and mind my own business.

I'd recommend it.

Is that aimed at me or all the other posters? "What's it got to do with you?" is an utterly stupid thing to say.

OP posts:
Needmorelego · 16/10/2022 14:42

on top of her

Brealinr · 16/10/2022 14:47

Iwanttoholdyourham · 16/10/2022 10:56

Younger people are the first to be expected to give up their seats if someone gets on who needs it more. Maybe they find it easier just not to sit down in the first place.

This ^^
I rarely sat down because of this, even when my feet were killing me!

GuyMontag · 16/10/2022 15:00

I would never dream of sitting down unless I had no arms or legs at all and even then I wouldn't take up a lot of space because I'm neither lazy nor entitled. I think as a country we've lost sight of what healthy standing is. I don't go on buses very often because they're not necessary for any journey of less than 30 miles, which is a perfectly do-able brisk walk - much better for the environment, but when I do I stand. On a spike.

ImJustMadAboutSaffron · 16/10/2022 15:02

I would never dream of sitting down unless I had no arms or legs at all and even then I wouldn't take up a lot of space because I'm neither lazy nor entitled. I think as a country we've lost sight of what healthy standing is. I don't go on buses very often because they're not necessary for any journey of less than 30 miles, which is a perfectly do-able brisk walk - much better for the environment, but when I do I stand. On a spike.

@GuyMontag Are you sure you don't mean 30 minutes?

OP posts:
GuyMontag · 16/10/2022 15:03

I know perfectly well what I mean!

mrshoho · 16/10/2022 15:13

3 miles surely?

WeepingSomnambulist · 16/10/2022 15:21

@GuyMontag

That was a bit of a numpty post.

It takes around 12 to 16 hours to walk 30 miles. No one only takes a bus for a journey of 30 miles or more. If you've got a journey of 29 miles, you need to use some form of transport. It is physically impossible to walk that journey, there and back, in one day. For most, it is not possible to walk 29 miles in one direction in one day.

In ye olde days, when they did pilgrimages etc, they would walk 10 to 12 miles a day. Maybe 15 at a stretch. Because it was a full day to walk that and have stops to eat. Then they'd camp and get on with a other 10ish miles the next day.

Your whole post is pretty odd, with the no arms no legs comment. But if it is a real post, then you must have meant 3 miles.

HouseBook · 16/10/2022 15:40

Huh Confused

x2boys · 16/10/2022 15:46

I'm assuming this is is tongue in cheek?

toulet · 16/10/2022 15:47

laziness, can't be bothered to get up again! much prefer to lean against something

CuriousCatfish · 16/10/2022 15:47

😂

toulet · 16/10/2022 15:48

this is on the tube though, train it's easier to sit otherwise you can block things up.

CuriousCatfish · 16/10/2022 15:48

I'm on my feet most of the day at work. Too right I'm going to sit down on the bus and tut at all the stander uppers getting in the bloody way.

toulet · 16/10/2022 15:51

Don't stand on the bus unless it's packed.

Pythonesque · 16/10/2022 16:08

Where I grew up, school children were entitled to passes for public transport to and from school, but the rules were very clear that you were not entitled to a seat if adults were standing. In secondary I caught trains and developed a habit of identifying seats that adults were less likely to use, and that therefore I could reasonably choose if the train was full-ish rather than completely packed. The middle seat of 3, or the odd small single seat with no window next to the stairs, were typical choices.

SherbetDips · 16/10/2022 16:17

If I’m only going a few stops I stand. Why do you care?

SlipperyLizard · 16/10/2022 16:28

@limitedperiodonly that’s exactly the scenario I fear!

ImJustMadAboutSaffron · 16/10/2022 16:32

SherbetDips · 16/10/2022 16:17

If I’m only going a few stops I stand. Why do you care?

Because you and everyone choosing to do the same thing get in the way of people trying to get off.

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

SherbetDips · 16/10/2022 16:34

@ImJustMadAboutSaffron Ohh..I see well I always make sure I’m stood out of peoples way if that helps you.

Needmorelego · 16/10/2022 16:41

@SherbetDips where do you stand that's out of people's way though?
By the door -people can't get off.
In the aisle - basically blocking access for everyone.
In the wheelchair space - fine if there is no wheelchair (or pushchair) there but if there is you are making its claustrophobic and very difficult for the passenger to get off.
There isn't really anywhere else?

SherbetDips · 16/10/2022 16:43

@Needmorelego ooh Love an interrogation on standing on a bus 😂 I stand in all those places and kind move as needed.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.