My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Would you prefer to retire to the countryside or city centre?

218 replies

Faciadipasta · 15/10/2022 16:02

Inspired by another thread on here I'm just curious to see people's thoughts. I'm not due to retire for another 20 years or so but really hadn't considered doing so in the centre of London (or maybe another big city) but now after the other thread I'm thinking what a bloody brilliant idea!
I'd always just thought people tend to retire to the seaside or countryside before. So what do others think? City or countryside? And why?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

54 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
31%
You are NOT being unreasonable
69%
reigatecastle · 15/10/2022 16:04

Definitely not countryside. Somewhere with good amenities and a railway station. Could be a village. but more likely to be a city/town.

lljkk · 15/10/2022 16:04

City Fing centre. Or maybe suburbs. Somewhere close to facilities. Urban all the way.

DH has a relative who lives rural. Relative has a sudden health problem means he needs treatment, but can't drive (for a while). Not to work or hospital. What a total total pain.

InCheesusWeTrust · 15/10/2022 16:05

Neither tbh. A quiet suburb with access to both and amenities nearby is my plan.
I lived in both settings before and while each has benefits, each has negatives so this is a compromise.
Countryside can be difficult with access when old, city is too noisy for me and can't sleep properly.

OhMammaMia · 15/10/2022 16:05

City centre definitely!

CuriousCatfish · 15/10/2022 16:06

City centre. I'd be bored within a week in the countryside.

Beezknees · 15/10/2022 16:07

I'm a LONG way off yet but unless my personality changes drastically then city. I'm very social and enjoy going out for drinks, meals with friends, etc. I'm not interested in the quiet life.

GCAcademic · 15/10/2022 16:07

I live in the countryside and love it but I'm not sure I want to grow old here. Lack of public transport, facilities, very difficult to access GP surgery and hospitals (my parents also live in the countryside and I've been horrified at what their local hospital is like), etc.

tiredofthiisshit21 · 15/10/2022 16:07

A Spanish village.

ofwarren · 15/10/2022 16:08

100% countryside for me. I detest the hustle and bustle of a city.
I'd want to be very close to a small town or large village so I could potter round the shops or nip to the tea room/pub though.
I live in a small town at the moment and the traffic is infuriating. I'd love to live on Sark where there are no cars at all Grin

Needmorelego · 15/10/2022 16:08

Neither. I'd go for a medium size town that has decent public transport.

ZeroFuchsGiven · 15/10/2022 16:09

I wouldn't live in a city for all the tea in China.

MrsMoastyToasty · 15/10/2022 16:10

I have friends who have moved from coastal Somerset to London in retirement. It was lovely looking at the sea (when they weren't hampered by foggy weather) but it got a bit boring.

AntlerRose · 15/10/2022 16:11

I wish i could retire to a lovely central bit of a city with parks, galleries, pools, cinemas, coffee shops, librares, theatres, shops, doctors and hospitals really close to me.

I am so nervous about not being fit to drive and being stuck.

Lilacsunflowers · 15/10/2022 16:13

Austrian village

Somewhere with lots of outdoor pursuits and great healthcare.

Definitely not a (busy) city centre! That was fun as a young employee as great to go out and party/meet friends.

Worthyornot · 15/10/2022 16:13

City, country fills me with dread. It would be too suffocating and boring for me.

BarrelOfOtters · 15/10/2022 16:15

Dh and I often have this conversation and look up inner city flats ….

stargirl1701 · 15/10/2022 16:19

City life for early 20s and retirement for me! Rural to raise children.

KimberleyClark · 15/10/2022 16:20

City. Fairly central with easy access to everything we need. Which is where we are now.

Friday123 · 15/10/2022 16:21

I can imagine retiring where I live now (zone 3 London). My area has lots of community activities that I could get involved in with the extra time and has good transport to central London for comedy, theatre, art galleries, museums etc.

otherwayup · 15/10/2022 16:21

I plan to live right in the city centre when I'm old, I want to be amongst life, somewhere vibrant and full of activity.
I think it keeps you young, keeps you feeling alive. I want to sit and drink coffee watching the city life around me. Wander around the independent shops, meet friends, go to the theatre etc
I love people watching and as I live in a city with 2 large universities, there is always so much going on.

The thought of living out my life in the countryside or somewhere quiet horrifies me!

ThroughThickAndThin01 · 15/10/2022 16:23

City over countryside if that’s the choice, but ideally a rural town.

Hbh17 · 15/10/2022 16:25

City centre, without a doubt - lots to do, cultural events, public transport, access to services if needed.
Cities are great!

I think living in the countryside would kill me - totally miserable in bad weather, no amenities, lots of issues if health becomes poor.

Scarecrowrowboat · 15/10/2022 16:25

City. I don't want to be completely reliant on a car in case that isn't an option in my older years. I'd like there to be plenty on my doorstep.

hadtochangetothisone · 15/10/2022 16:25

Exactly where I am now. Very very rural countryside. Nearest shop 5 miles and town 15. Even that's a bit close.

Hopefully I will be able to drive until I drop.. but there's always supermarket deliveries. Who knows by the time I'm 80 (if lucky enough to live that long) perhaps things like prescriptions etc will get dropped by drone .

mackthepony · 15/10/2022 16:28

Countryside, no question

Preferably near a village with a nice cafe and a pub full of jovial locals

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.