Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask about oodies?

155 replies

missbipolar · 10/10/2022 14:20

Both kids want an oodie for Christmas but honestly I'm not sure I can justify the cost- are they really worth it? Can anyone recommend a cheaper brand?

OP posts:
KangarooKenny · 10/10/2022 14:20

Yes they are, toasty warm.

wouldukissafrog · 10/10/2022 14:21

Love mine- bought DH a cheaper version and it is nowhere near as good, can't help with a brand that is I'm afraid but agree they are very 3xpensive and I'd struggle to buy two

PosiePerkinPootleFlump · 10/10/2022 14:22

Kuddly are also lovely and thick and tend to be cheaper, especially if you buy several or wait for an offer

Asperia · 10/10/2022 14:23

I've bought one for wfh in a very cold room. I wore an Oodie in a 11 degree room, sitting down at a desk for 4 hours, and I was warm as toast. I suspect it will enable me to keep the heating off for an extra month. They are ghastly and wonderful at the same time!

RamblingFar · 10/10/2022 14:23

I don't have one. I do believe they are 2 for the price of 1 at the moment though. So may be less expensive to order while there's a sale.

I've been considering one, but I worry about my legs staying warm. Not been converted over from my dressing gown yet. However, may be slightly more professional for work Zoom calls.

LozzaChops101 · 10/10/2022 14:24

Haven’t got one, but everyone says the kudd.ly brand is better re.washing etc!

LilacPoppy · 10/10/2022 14:25

Only genuine oodies or Kuddlys are worth buying. They both have offers.

YellowTreeHouse · 10/10/2022 14:26

The Primark versions are amazing! So warm.

melchim · 10/10/2022 14:27

I got them for the kids last Christmas, from a no name brand, so much cheaper. They're brilliant and the kids live in them when it's cold around the house. I've never seen a real Oodie but it's hard to imagine how much different it could be?

Starlight86 · 10/10/2022 14:29

I got the kids oodies ( kids versions) last year, they absolutly loved them but then older DD started stealing my adult version.

So this year for their xmas ive got them adult version oodies in a deal.

I think they are really worth it.

SallyWD · 10/10/2022 14:30

I got my daughter a fake one from Primark. It was £16 and us so soft and snuggly. She absolutely loves it. No way I'd pay £60 for one.

Mano2020 · 10/10/2022 14:32

Primark and Dunelm are toasty

sandytooth · 10/10/2022 14:34

I'd get a cheaper one otherwise you might as well be paying for the energy costs to heat your home. The primark ones are good.

WhenDovesFly · 10/10/2022 14:35

I've got one. The fleece is so thick and really warm. Cheaper ones are thinner I believe.

AriettyHomily · 10/10/2022 14:36

I've got a primark one, it's so cozy, I 've only work it once had to take it of as I was too hot. £18.

missbipolar · 10/10/2022 14:37

I don't have a primark near me unfortunately but will have a look at cuddly! Might just bite the bullet and get genuine oodies.

How big are the children's ones? My 9yo is nearly as tall me (I'm 5'5 and would say he's easily 5"-5'1) is it worth getting him a child's one or should I get the adult one?

OP posts:
sandytooth · 10/10/2022 14:37

AriettyHomily · 10/10/2022 14:36

I've got a primark one, it's so cozy, I 've only work it once had to take it of as I was too hot. £18.

That's a good point actually. If it's too toasty its no good either l.

Iwantacampervan · 10/10/2022 14:53

Tesco have an adult version £17.50 (pink with dogs on) - only do one size so may be too large. There may be more in store, I haven't looked since Friday.

thunderandsunshine01 · 10/10/2022 14:58

I hate my oodie, it’s soooo thick I feel restricted in it. It’s also torn at the hood opening seam which isn’t great considering the price! Nightmare to wash. Storage bags are made of a really strange material and the two we do own have ripped apart when we have tried to store them away.
However, my 10yr old DD has a full sized one and loves it. If it’s just going to be used as a blanket for sitting around in then go full size. They are impossible to function in for anything else anyway!

aniamana · 10/10/2022 14:59

we have the john lewis ones, they seem good quality and not as expensive as genuine ones.

Overshadowed · 10/10/2022 15:02

I bought me and DS ‘Sienna’ ones from Amazon after recommendations on here. Mine is ok but DS’s has loads of holes in it after only a few months. I got a oodie recently and it’s a million times better so I’ve ordered an oodie for DS now too.

Teenagekicksmyass · 10/10/2022 15:07

We have a genuine Oodie and a ‘fake’ Oodie and there’s no comparison, the genuine one is far superior…

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

Mrsfussypants1 · 10/10/2022 15:15

Dgd (6) has a Next version, and we've bought her a kids Oodie for christmas. I'm probably going to regret spending so much, we've bought her mum & dad one for christmas too, my thinking was to keep them all warm when we get into the dead of winter, but the sleeves seem so big and bulky I think it will be used more for stationery activities like movie nights and the Next one will get more use as its so much more practical for day to day use (plus it washes like new and has kept its softness). Your children are older though so more likely to get better use of them, as for sizing from their website it looks like the kids version would come up short on them, I'd be tempted to get the adults and they won't have outgrown them by next year.

PickleSarnie · 10/10/2022 15:17

Kud.ly's are great - my kids have them. I have a onesnug and I'd say it is even better than the kud.ly. You can't go wrong with either - whichever one has the best deal on.

Dahlietta · 10/10/2022 15:17

My 10yo got an adult oodie for Christmas last year. It's big on him, but not ridiculous (I mean, they are already ridiculous, obviously). He loves it!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.