My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To wonder when the UK government plan to revisit the dangerous dogs act?

375 replies

EbbyEbs · 04/10/2022 17:56

Woman killed by American Bulldogs.

This is just another victim to add to the list of dog fatalities in recent years - yet another American Bulldog.

Britain must have one of the most pathetic dog regulations in the world - only 3 breeds in the list and two of those breeds most people have never heard of.

When will the government do something?? How many more people need to die?

And it’s not just about banning breeds - they need to tighten up the laws in owning dogs in the first place.

Many states in America have tight regulations around many breeds common in the UK including Shar Pei, Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Dobermann and even German shepherds.

AIBU to think Britain needs to wake up to the dangers of irresponsible dog ownership?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

394 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
16%
You are NOT being unreasonable
84%
MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 05/10/2022 16:38

My kids are entitled to enjoy green spaces without being harrassed.

MooseBreath · 05/10/2022 16:42

Yes, people should train their dogs to have good recall (and most have), but they have the same right as you to be in a public green space. My dog is entitled to be on the green space, unless it is signed to say "no dogs", which many are. You should be going to a space that doesn't allow dogs if you are that upset by them.

MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 05/10/2022 16:42

MooseBreath · 05/10/2022 16:32

You are actively going to places where there are very clearly a lot of off-lead dogs. They can legally be there. Maybe you should go to an alternate place where fewer people walk their dogs?

So just to be clear you're saying when my DD asked to go and climb trees i should have told her no, come to the concreted fenced off play area and climb the steel barred climbing frame, because nature isn't for you it's for the dogs?

Ylvamoon · 05/10/2022 16:42

There are plenty of places were dogs aren't allowed or they have to be on a lead... including beaches, parks and nature reserves.
I'd suggest anyone who is scared of dogs should be going there and leave the rest to people who don't mind sharing a space with dogs and other people.

I can't wait until we re introduce wolves, bears and big cats... the outrage on here would be hilarious

MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 05/10/2022 16:43

Or just accept dogs jumping on us and stealing our food?

MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 05/10/2022 16:45

Ylvamoon · 05/10/2022 16:42

There are plenty of places were dogs aren't allowed or they have to be on a lead... including beaches, parks and nature reserves.
I'd suggest anyone who is scared of dogs should be going there and leave the rest to people who don't mind sharing a space with dogs and other people.

I can't wait until we re introduce wolves, bears and big cats... the outrage on here would be hilarious

I'd be absolutely fine with re-wilding (not that that will ever happen either because these animals might kill the precious bow-wows) - because wild animals more often than not have the sense to avoid urban areas and people. Folk can walk for hundreds of miles in the Appalachian trail and never see a bear, because the bears by and large gtfo when they hear us coming. Domesticated dogs are completely different, they have no fear of human beings and when badly trained actually think they are equal or superior and try to assert their dominance.

Ylvamoon · 05/10/2022 16:45

MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 05/10/2022 16:42

So just to be clear you're saying when my DD asked to go and climb trees i should have told her no, come to the concreted fenced off play area and climb the steel barred climbing frame, because nature isn't for you it's for the dogs?

🤷🏻‍♀️ dogs don't climb trees, your daughter would have been fine.

MooseBreath · 05/10/2022 16:46

Seriously, @MaybeIWillFuckOffThen, you are pretty much the only one experiencing this kind of frequent harassment. Perhaps you need to look at your own behaviour. If you are seeing a dog in the distance and making a fuss, then it will likely be more drawn to you because you are interacting with it. Otherwise, I simply don't see how this keeps happening to you.

MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 05/10/2022 16:46

Ylvamoon · 05/10/2022 16:45

🤷🏻‍♀️ dogs don't climb trees, your daughter would have been fine.

It's a fallen down tree with sticky up branches, great fun for a malco 5 yo to try out her climbing skills but no more than 2 feet off the ground at any point 🙄This desperate picking at my story is very illustrative of the issues with dog people.

Kentgirl2525 · 05/10/2022 16:48

megletthesecond · 04/10/2022 18:10

JR'S and chihuahuas aren't going to rip anyones arm off, let alone kill them.

Yanbu. There are too many big / sturdy dogs kept by poor owners in unsuitable homes.

Agree.
small dogs are not going round killing people.
I see so many unsuitable people with massive dogs in London that they cannot control.
large dogs especially need so much exercise.
it’s terrifying in parks for kids or those responsible owners with smaller dogs when one of these beasts is off lead. The owners know nothing will be done. They don’t care. Nothing happens to them. Can have the same effect as walking around with a knife or gun but with non of the fear of being arrested or imprisoned. The dog gets destroyed, they get a suspended sentence yet someone’s life has been destroyed.

MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 05/10/2022 16:48

Seriously, @MaybeIWillFuckOffThen, you are pretty much the only one experiencing this kind of frequent harassment. Perhaps you need to look at your own behaviour. If you are seeing a dog in the distance and making a fuss, then it will likely be more drawn to you because you are interacting with it. Otherwise, I simply don't see how this keeps happening to you.

Denial, deflection, victim blaming. The holy trinity of being in the wrong.

"It didn't happen, but even if it did happen it wasn't that bad, and even if it was bad it was your fault."

MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 05/10/2022 16:51

What on earth kind of fuss do you think i am making? i clock them, I keep a weather eye, when they speed up in my direction I summon the kids closer to me, when they arrive next to us I pick up the toddler and remind my big one to keep her arms down and stand still, then start looking around for the owner. That is literally it. Even I know that making eye contact, shouting and flapping is only going to make matters worse.

MooseBreath · 05/10/2022 16:51

It's not victim-blaming. It's advising you to adjust your behaviours because you are possibly causing the issue. Unless you are a magnet for dogs, something abnormal is happening in your situation.

MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 05/10/2022 16:53

Although on several occasions I've been preoccupied with what we're doing and the first I know about it is when one jumps up and puts its paws on my back or chest.

MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 05/10/2022 16:57

See this is what I mean. Total unwillingness to accept that there are large numbers of unacceptably poor dog owners out there. Because dog people. Even though it is documented that since lockdown dog ownership has exploded, as have dog attacks, bites and so on. "It doesn't happen, you're bringing it on yourself somehow, you shouldn't go to the park if you don't want dogs jumping up at you(!!)"

MooseBreath · 05/10/2022 16:58

Perhaps your issue is area-specific then. I would suggest contacting your local councillor about antisocial behaviour from dog-walkers. But what you are saying has happened on 6 occasions over 3 months is not normal. 6 occasions in a lifetime is more than average. Most people never have a negative interaction with a random dog in a park.

MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 05/10/2022 16:59

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/apr/15/dog-bite-britain-the-problem-with-the-pandemic-puppy-explosion

Just to illustrate this is actually a growing problem and I'm not secretly summoning dogs with my brainwaves just to get all cross about it.

MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 05/10/2022 17:00

But what you are saying has happened on 6 occasions over 3 months is not normal. 6 occasions in a lifetime is more than average.

Source for this very confidently asserted statistic?

MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 05/10/2022 17:01

Most people never have a negative interaction with a random dog in a park.

Oh yes and this one!

OneTC · 05/10/2022 17:01

I wish dogs would harass me in parks but it's a very rare occurrence Grin I even try giving them a little wink to let them know. I do think people have very different experiences though because some of the off lead dogs I watch in the park do approach some people, but not everyone. Nobody should be getting attention from dogs that they don't want though.

Your kids probably look tasty or something Wink

MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 05/10/2022 17:02

Also to be fair there are people who wouldn't class these interactions as negative, because they like dogs and don't mind being jumped up on. So part of your inference is that it is unreasonable to mind.

MooseBreath · 05/10/2022 17:02

That wasn't a statistic. It's possible to have an understanding of what is and isn't normal without an academic study.

MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 05/10/2022 17:04

MooseBreath · 05/10/2022 17:02

That wasn't a statistic. It's possible to have an understanding of what is and isn't normal without an academic study.

How? From your own personal experience and that of your mates?

Anecdotes are not in any way scalable to 'what's normal'. Certainly not to the point you can say '6 occasions in a lifetime is more than average', which is literally a statistical assertion.

MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 05/10/2022 17:07

An example of this from my own life - In the last 4 years, 4 people close to me have died by suicide - my mum, my stepmum's sister, and a mum friend. This accords with the statistical fact that suicide is on the rise (just as my negative experiences with dogs accords with the statistical fact that more people than ever own dogs and there are growing numbers of attacks and hospital admissions from dog bites). What you are implying is the equivalent of saying to me "well a lot of people around YOU seem to be committing suicide, maybe it's something you're doing?"

MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 05/10/2022 17:08

Sorry three people not four.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.