My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to despair at phone calls like these?

127 replies

LaughingCat · 29/09/2022 19:26

Exact conversation with my other half just now, on my way home to North Yorkshire after a gruelling 48 hours travelling to the London office for work.

Me: Hey hon, what’s up?
Him: Do you know where my mayonnaise is?
Me: Erm…in the fridge.
Him: Yes, I know that, do you know where in the fridge?
Me: Well…it might be on the second shelf from the bottom…or maybe in the door…I mean…I’m not the one stood in front of the fridge.
Him: Well, that was useful, thanks.
ENDS

AIBU or should I be expected to know exactly where the mayo is from 200 miles away? 🙃

What’s the most ridiculous thing your partner has ever called you to ask?

PS: this is a tongue in cheek, eye-rolling thread, I’m not being serious 😂

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

321 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
7%
You are NOT being unreasonable
93%
mamabear715 · 29/09/2022 19:28

YABU. You should KNOW that the male brain can't deal with things like that.

mamabear715 · 29/09/2022 19:29

;-)

mantequilla · 29/09/2022 19:31

What an absolute moron. You have to laugh or you'll kill him.

My DH also can't see things that are in front of his eyes.

LaughingCat · 29/09/2022 19:32

mamabear715 · 29/09/2022 19:28

YABU. You should KNOW that the male brain can't deal with things like that.

sigh So true, Mamabear. 😂

The worst thing is, I’m 99% I was right in saying second shelf from the bottom. So, I look forward to finding out at midnight when I make it back.

OP posts:
Brieeeeeeeee · 29/09/2022 19:32

YABU to describe travelling to London as “gruelling” 😂

But yeah, I hate the assumption that I’ve memorised the location of everything in the house.

LaughingCat · 29/09/2022 19:33

mantequilla · 29/09/2022 19:31

What an absolute moron. You have to laugh or you'll kill him.

My DH also can't see things that are in front of his eyes.

What is this male blindness that afflicts so many of our men? There should be research commissioned into it. 🙃

OP posts:
SierraSapphire · 29/09/2022 19:33

Not my partner, but DD, I was 100 miles away at a friends house, which obviously she knew, and she texted me from home to ask me who was ringing the doorbell!

LaughingCat · 29/09/2022 19:34

Brieeeeeeeee · 29/09/2022 19:32

YABU to describe travelling to London as “gruelling” 😂

But yeah, I hate the assumption that I’ve memorised the location of everything in the house.

It’s soooo gruelling. I’m eating a giant chocolate fudge sundae right now. I mean…could life get any harder? 🤣

OP posts:
LaughingCat · 29/09/2022 19:35

SierraSapphire · 29/09/2022 19:33

Not my partner, but DD, I was 100 miles away at a friends house, which obviously she knew, and she texted me from home to ask me who was ringing the doorbell!

This is amazing. Even if you have a Ring doorbell, had she never heard of a good ol’ curtain twitch? 😁

OP posts:
BirdSou · 29/09/2022 19:38

Sounds just like my husband!

My personal favourite is when he's at home with the kids, while I'm at work (12.5hr shifts, extremely busy) and he rings to ask what the kids are having for tea! Err, whatever you make them!

Overthemoonies · 29/09/2022 19:40

‘Do you know where in the fridge?’

‘You mean do I have the grid reference for your mayonnaise?….’

SierraSapphire · 29/09/2022 19:40

This is amazing. Even if you have a Ring doorbell, had she never heard of a good ol’ curtain twitch? 😁

No Ring doorbell, just an old fashioned one. The curtain twitch is way too risky, they might have seen her and then she'd have to actually answer (she's 19 btw not a child). It was followed by WHY DO PEOPLE RING OUR DOORBELL FFS??!! Something has clearly traumatised her!

PhilistineWazzock · 29/09/2022 19:40

My son has been at uni a week and has already called twice to ask me where X or Y is in his room. The room I have only ever spent 90 minutes in.

He has also phoned to ask how the oven works. The oven I have never used.

I have been torn between thinking WTF and feeling like an all-knowing God.

He gets a pass for being 18 and away from home for the first time. A grown man? Nah.

TonksInPurple · 29/09/2022 19:43

Many years after leaving home my dad called to ask how to work the washing machine, they’d had many years but not while I was living there, next time I was there I checked and the thing was so easy to work it was unreal.

Mangogogogo · 29/09/2022 19:46

I remember my dad asking my partner to grab him a cloth and he just looked at me like ‘where the fuck are the cloths’

thing is he does actually do housework and clean but I think there’s just often a cloth already loitering or at least on the dryer!

my dad thought it was hilarious because he does all the housework at home and my mum does bot all 😂

Belledan1 · 29/09/2022 19:47

I got a call once asking me if I knew where the remote was.

overthinkersanonnymus · 29/09/2022 19:47

My DP will call me from Tesco to ask where things are.......I have no fuckin idea as I don't work there!

Drives me mad 😠

summergone · 29/09/2022 19:49

So many men are like this - my son has left home now but he would ask on a daily basis where his keys /cap/ wallet were. My DH is similar but I have started saying ' it's there you're an adult find it ' and not getting it for him . It's working as he has definitely cut down on asking .

QuitMoaning · 29/09/2022 19:51

On vacation with some friends to a place most of us have never been to. Almost every time we stopped for coffee/drink/food, one of my friends would ask me where the toilets were. In the end everyone would ask me random questions like that as I became known as the person who might know the impossible despite me never knowing the answer.

Gingermidget · 29/09/2022 19:54

My kids did this last week as they’d managed to lock themselves out of the house. I was over 100 miles away - their dad was 15 minutes away!

LaughingCat · 29/09/2022 19:55

Ahhhh…you’re all making me feel so much better.

@overthinkersanonnymus - this is the reason I won’t send him to Tesco anymore.

@Belledan1 This. Is. Genius. You’re winning so far.

@SierraSapphire - This is a genuine thing with young folk. They’re terrified of the doorbell. Seriously, they’ve done academic studies on it and everything - their blood pressure skyrockets if the doorbell goes without an email or text to let them know to expect it. At this rate it’ll be us oldies that play ‘knock and go run’ pranks on them.
www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7107379/amp/Have-Milennials-killed-doorbell-People-admit-theyre-scared-answer-aggressive-ring.html

OP posts:
LaughingCat · 29/09/2022 19:57

Gingermidget · 29/09/2022 19:54

My kids did this last week as they’d managed to lock themselves out of the house. I was over 100 miles away - their dad was 15 minutes away!

Ahhh…but did you sort it for them?

OP posts:
Fe2O3Girl · 29/09/2022 19:59

BLT.

TokyoTen · 29/09/2022 19:59

YABU for not memorising where every article is in rhe fridge, freezer, cupboard and his wardrobe. Please also work harder so you know whether his clothes are in the wash or be able recall which specific drawer or hanger they are on!!

bluestarthread · 29/09/2022 19:59

We literally call it fridge-blindness in this house, and it only affects the males 🙄

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.