Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Is this going to kill us all?

282 replies

HolidayDjinn · 27/09/2022 06:58

DH is flapping.

On busy days when no one is going to be home until 18:30 I sometimes make up a tray bake and put the oven on timer so it will be ready just as we walk in the door. The ingredients come out the fridge about 6am and oven comes on about 17:45 so that’s nearly 12 hours at room temp. Today’s has no raw meat but does have chorizo. Sometimes I do sausages. Have done chicken thighs before. I feel like this is probably fine but DH is convinced we will contract food poisoning. NB his worries don’t come with an offer to sort dinner.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1135 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
62%
You are NOT being unreasonable
38%
ihatethefuckingmuffin · 27/09/2022 08:23

Some slow cookers are awful. I’ve had a few over the years and the food hasn’t been great even following the millions of recipes didn’t help.
My view on them changed when I got a tefal multi one.

I wouldn’t eat any meat that had been sitting somewhere out of a fridge for that length of time.

I also wouldn’t be putting frozen meat in the oven in the morning hoping it would be fully defrosted either.

I would batch cook something and basically have leftovers. It’s what I used to do when I got in after 6, the dc’s needed feeding and I was the only adult.

HangOnToYourself · 27/09/2022 08:24

I just cant understand the logic for doing this at all. Please never do this with chicken or other raw meat again

Bingbangbongbash · 27/09/2022 08:26

I wouldn’t leave meat out for 12 hours and then eat it, and I’m extremely easy going when it comes to things like use by dates.

Have you considered a Wonderbag? It’s basically a highly insulated bag that acts as an unpowered slow cooker. You make the meal as normal, but when you would normally simmer on the stove for ages or slow cook in the oven, you put it in the bag and leave it. There’s nothing on to risk a fire, and the food is all prepped and cooked in the same (proper) pan so hopefully no ‘metallic’ taste that PP have mentioned.

The difference is that everything is quickly brought to cooking temp, then left to cook. A little more work than just chuck it in the slow cooker or tray, but worth it IMO.

BatteryPoweredMammy · 27/09/2022 08:27

It’s fine if you heat it up to a high temperature. That will kill off any bacteria. if you’re still worried, buy a digital food thermometer so you can check the temperature of the food when it comes out of the oven.

I often leave chicken pieces out to defrost in a cold oven during the daytime to cook in the evening.

summergone · 27/09/2022 08:31

I'm a vegetarian but cook meat for others but I wouldn't do that . Why not put jacket potato's in the slow cooker all day and prep ( if need be ) the various fillings in the morning .Jacket potatoes in the slow cooker are lovely

BadNomad · 27/09/2022 08:32

Why can you not just precook it and then heat it up when you get home?

I'm another person who can't leave things running while no one is home. Too scared of the house burning down.

KarenOLantern · 27/09/2022 08:32

Chorizo is cured, it's made to be kept at (Spanish) room temperature.

I lived in Spain for a while, during which time I lived in 3 separate households of Spanish people - some of them don't even keep chorizo in the fridge at all, they just hang it up in the kitchen (which is what the string is for).

When I moved back to England with a Spanish boyfriend his mum used to send us chorizo in the post, sometimes it would take 2 weeks to arrive (so, obviously not refrigerated in all that time) and it would still be absolutely fine when it arrived.

Draughtycatflapreturns · 27/09/2022 08:34

Reading this thread reminds me why I don’t like eating other people’s food - even cakes brought into the office are a bit suspect.

Sorry, not sorry.

TurtleSpurtle · 27/09/2022 08:34

@AndTwoFilmsByFrancoisTruffaut have you not been to a country where refrigerators are not common place; usually in countries with much hotter temperatures than here...

It's not really dangerous at all as long as it's well cooked.

Hell even the butchers don't use cooled units when they are selling the meat products. There is nothing wrong with meat being left out if it is going to be cooked well.

mum11970 · 27/09/2022 08:35

Never done it but it probably wouldn’t bother me. Certainly wouldn’t kill anyone in our house. Would using frozen chicken work, as it will defrost slowly during the day?
As for a slow cooker you need to put less liquid in as it condensates and the fluid goes up not down. Take the lid off for a while at the end if you want to reduce and thicken it up.

TwoCoffeesPlease · 27/09/2022 08:37

HolidayDjinn · 27/09/2022 07:02

Slow cooker food is so gross though. Bland and watery.

You’re doing it wrong!

BatteryPoweredMammy · 27/09/2022 08:38

Alternatively, buy a modern electric pressure cooker such as an Instant pot or similar brand.

DH cooks the dog food 3 times a week in ours and chucks in a load of mince meat etc. a bag of mixed frozen vegetables and some liquid beef stock and puts it on pressure cook for 10 mins. He usually lets the pressure drop naturally afterwards but you can open the valve to let the pressure out and be eating the food five minutes later.

If I’m using it, I prefer to sauté the onions in a separate pan first before adding them to the mix and cooking.

Rapidtango · 27/09/2022 08:38

I'd be fine with it - you could put the meat in the dish frozen so it would thaw then cook.

IndianSummer78 · 27/09/2022 08:38

DontKeepTheFaith · 27/09/2022 07:38

I wouldn’t risk it!

I’ve always been a bit blasé about food but DH is in his 5th week of food poisoning and still unwell so it’s made me think twice. It wasn’t home cooking, it was a ready meal that he cooked but he has been so ill, it has made me think I need to be more cautious.

To be fair, I’d never leave meat at room temp all day anyway. Also do agree that the oven on when no one is home is a fire risk.

5 weeks?! Has he seen a doctor? I don't think that's normal

OP I wouldn't eat it either

KarenOLantern · 27/09/2022 08:40

YABVVVVU though for saying slowcooker food is bland and watery... you must be doing something very wrong. (You can't use normal recipes... the water doesn't boil off like it would on the hob so you have to put much less liquid in it - when the liquid should be the same quantity and thickness before cooking as you want it to be once it's done. As for bland, if anything, slow cooked food is more flavourful than normal food as the flavours have time to combine and develop.

Also you don't even need liquid in a slow cooker. You can do jacket potatoes for example, or just chuck meat and sliced potatoes in with no liquid.

GertrudePerkinsPaperyThing · 27/09/2022 08:41

I think fine with veg, pulses etc and chorizo, not fine with other (uncured) meat and fish.

So just so it that way and you’ll be fine. Don’t put chicken in it.

TeeBee · 27/09/2022 08:42

I had food poisoning for 5 weeks too. I got a secondary infection.
I definitely wouldn't be leaving meat out all day at room temperature. Chorizo fine, chicken never! I'd just make everything up ready to go in the oven when I got back home. You could put your oven on a timer so it heats up for when you get home. Traybakes take 20 minutes to cook. By the time you've showered and got changed/had a drink, it will be cooked.

katepilar · 27/09/2022 08:45

I am shocked that you run an electric device without anyone being at home. And more shocked that it doesnt shock anyone.
Leaving the food out of the fridge before cooking is unlikely to to kill you.

GonnaGetGoingReturns · 27/09/2022 08:47

I personally wouldn't leave cold food (meat etc) out of the fridge and then into the oven because as far as I recall there's potential for food poisoning/stuff to go off.

TwoWeeksislong · 27/09/2022 08:47

I would refuse to eat it.

Eeksteek · 27/09/2022 08:47

No, I wouldn’t. I’m unhappy about my dog’s raw food sitting out from 11pm to 7am, frankly (but need to get it defrosted for her breakfast)

I’d freeze meat (or prep and freeze the whole lot, either cooked or not). Then it would be defrosting for most of the day. We just have beans on toast in busy days.

I’m anti slow cooker. You can’t thicken things in them, so they are a thin liquid with bits in, rather than a sauce/gravy consistency and everything tastes of slow cooker. I’ve tried different slow cookers, and wouldn’t use one again. I cook things properly and freeze them

katepilar · 27/09/2022 08:48

not sure why are you worried about chorizo. thats fine out of the fridge.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

GonnaGetGoingReturns · 27/09/2022 08:48

katepilar · 27/09/2022 08:45

I am shocked that you run an electric device without anyone being at home. And more shocked that it doesnt shock anyone.
Leaving the food out of the fridge before cooking is unlikely to to kill you.

Re running electric devices when no one's home, I've (not often) left dishwasher or washing machine on when I'm out and nothing has happened. I have trip switches though. DM never ever does this (also has trip switches) and has driven miles home before now to check if an iron is still on!

LizzieSiddal · 27/09/2022 08:49

🤮 <——- After you’ve eaten this toxin infested food.

mast0650 · 27/09/2022 08:49

Hmmm. I'm pretty relaxed but I wouldn't be too sure about those chicken thighs. Chorizo or veggie stuff would be fine. You are only gaining 45 mins! Not worth it I don't think. Why not just have it all ready to go but in fridge. Set timer so oven hot when you get in. Pop it in oven as soon as you walk through the door and it will be ready at 7.15. Gives you a bit of time to de-compress, set table etc. Early enough for all but the youngest (don't know if you have kids?)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.